Problem to configure Netgear AC1900 r7000 as repeater

Jeronimo2k4
Aspirant

Problem to configure Netgear AC1900 r7000 as repeater

Hi

I have bought an ASUS RT-AC5300 and trying to configure my old Netgear AC1900 as repeater.

Standard config was impossible so I started to follow a lot of posts about how to. I never reached my host ASUS Router from the Netgear. I saw that I need ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmaware if I wanted to have this configured

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

I have installed the firmaware R7000_384.5_0.zip

and worked fine. But could not connect to the host. After reset my host ASUS could see the netgear but trying to use AIMESH fails, then tried mannually. Evrything is connect and I can see the netgear connected to the ASUS, but I can not have internet connection in the repeater

Then saw that could be better to install Advanced Tomato 3.4 13

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Netgear-R7000-as-repeater/td-p/1270452
The problem is that I can not restore the old firmware. I tried with the web admin and fails. Then tried tftp and also give me connection failure due to time out, then tftp2 and the same result. No way to connect with the server tu upgrade the firmware.
The connection is ok as the ping to 192.168.1.1 gives answer

In the middle of all the steps I have done I have always reset the netgear to the factory settings
The last process I have tried without any result has been
https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Problem to configure Netgear AC1900 r7000 as repeater

Hi Jeronimo2k4, 

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

We do not recommend to load third party firmware as it will void device warranty

For your case, you make check Tomato support (chat, forum or phone) for assistance. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 4
Jeronimo2k4
Aspirant

Hi

Thank you to have answered my question.

I am not very interested in the warranty as I am now using the ASUS RT AC5300. I wanted to use the Netgear R7000 as repeater with security active that can not be done with the original firmware. So the choice is to leave it in the closet or try to use it.

The problem I have now is that I can not install any other firmware (original one or Tomato) after the update to Merlin. Web application just do not run and manual tftp and tftp2 says the same thing "connection failure". I do not know why as I can access from the computer to the admin application without any problem through an ethernet connection.
So the question is how can I get back to netgear firmware
I hope this clarifies

Thank you in advance for your support

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Jeronimo2k4, 

How do you access the admin application on your computer? 

What is the current firmware version loaded to the router? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements