Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem using HTTPS with ReadyShare

n1mm
Aspirant

Problem using HTTPS with ReadyShare

Setting up Readyshare to allow access to a thumb drive from the internet. Works fine, except that the connection is HTTP and not HTTPS.  I could deal with no support for HTTPS, but there is no way to specify the link as HTTP and have it work.  The port must be 443 or >= 1024. In any event, if you try to access with HTTP:// it fails, if you use HTTPS:// you get this:

There’s a problem with this website’s security certificate
This might mean that someone’s trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to my homepage instead

Continue to this webpage (not recommended)

If you continue to the web page, you get access to the data.  I haven't found anyone else reporting this problem, so I have not found a workaround. Any ideas?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
n1mm
Aspirant

I got this reply from level 3 (via level 2) support: 

Engineers confirmed that this is a device limitation and there is no security issue even if you are getting this message.

Please see engineers comment:

"This is a known limitation of all our product, NETGEAR only put this self-signed certificate in FW but not public to root server. Browser will give a warning but user can access page continually without issue. "

"This will not impact security, this just a warning regarding the certification is not recognize but public."

I will ask for the ability to use port 80 to avoid the error messages. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi n1mm,

Please check the KB article below on how to access ReadyShare.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20391/~/readyshare-usb-storage-gui-explained?cid=wmt_n...

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

Unfortunately, that doc does not correspond to what I see for that page on my router. I am running V1.0.2.04.  In that version, the link name for the internet http link starts with HTTPS, not HTTP. Further, the port is restricted to 443 or >= 1024.  The doc is not useful for my problem.  

I guess no one is running  V1.0.2.04 and trying to use this. 

Message 3 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi n1mm,

Can you post the screenshot of the ReadyShare page of your router.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

See: https://n1mm.mynetgear.com/shares/USB_Storage/Readyshare.PNG 

You will see the issue with HTTPS/HTTP when you access that ReadyShare drive.

Since the doc shows HTTP and the ReadyShare setup page shows HTTPS, it sounds like HTTPS support is a new feature that either isn't working properly or I have configured improperly. 

Message 5 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi n1mm,

Accessing the ReadyShare via internet now use the HTTPS  connection for security.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

Not for me it isn't.  It sets up an HTTPS url on port 443, but when I try to connect, I get a warning from my browser that the page is not encrypted.  See https://n1mm.mynetgear.com/shares 

Your browser will complain about the HTTPS being unencrypted. If you ignore that warning, it will take you to the directory that contains a screen shot of my ReadyShare Advanced Settings page. 

Message 7 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi n1mm,

Have you tried other browser? This usually happens on Chrome or due to the certification of the browser.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 8 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

Fails on Chrome, IE. Edge, Safari.  All indicate the cert is not trusted. 

Message 9 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

I called NetGear support on this.  Level 1 had me do the usual dance -- hard reset, backlevel firmware, etc.  No resolution.  Level 2 is trying to figure out why i am getting certificate errors accessing the data on the thumb drive. Level 2 is way better than level 1. 

Message 10 of 13
JamesGL
Master

Hi n1mm,

Please continue to work with the Level 2 support. Report back if resolution has been provided.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 11 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

I worked with level 2 for over an hour on it yesterday. They took screen shots via Remote Desktop to provide to level 3. 

The (probably) best error message comes from IE 11, which says:

Mismatched Address

The certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address. 

The problem might represent an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close the webpage.

If I look at the Certificate Information page, it says that it was issued to & by: www..routerlogin.net.  

Tom

Message 12 of 13
n1mm
Aspirant

I got this reply from level 3 (via level 2) support: 

Engineers confirmed that this is a device limitation and there is no security issue even if you are getting this message.

Please see engineers comment:

"This is a known limitation of all our product, NETGEAR only put this self-signed certificate in FW but not public to root server. Browser will give a warning but user can access page continually without issue. "

"This will not impact security, this just a warning regarding the certification is not recognize but public."

I will ask for the ability to use port 80 to avoid the error messages. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7