Problem when installing mesh wifi onto R7000

mystvearn
Aspirant

Problem when installing mesh wifi onto R7000

Hi,

Does anyone know how to setup Mesh Wifi on TP-Link on Netgear R7000? I tried setting up TP-Link Deco E4 on Netgear R7000, Followed the app guide, did not work. Followed these two guides:

https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/1592/

https://www.tp-link.com/my/support/faq/1842/

did not work. I am thinking there is something preventing it to connect to the R7000. I can connect to the TP link wireless, but not the internet through the R7000. When I change it to AP mode, I can use it to connect as an wired AP, though it defeats the purpose of extending the wifi. Maybe there is a setting on the R7000 which I need to enable to use this?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Problem when installing mesh wifi onto R7000

@mystvearn wrote:

I can connect to the TP link wireless, but not the internet through the R7000. When I change it to AP mode, I can use it to connect as an wired AP, though it defeats the purpose of extending the wifi.

What is the "it" you change to AP mode? The TP-link?

It sounds like you are trying to daisy chain two routers. Not a good idea.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I am not familiar with TP-link stuff. (Maybe you should ask them for help with their hardware.) But when it comes to mesh systems, a lot of people happily use Netgear's Orbi in AP mode to extend the wifi.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E