Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with LAN Setup, Address Reservation

devildoggod
Aspirant

Problem with LAN Setup, Address Reservation

Hello,

Nighthawk X10 R9000 - Router Firmware Version V1.0.4.28

The router is functioning perfectly: fyi...

However, I have three devices that I add to the LAN Setup, Address Reservation -->

a) A video DVR that has no problems

b) A Netgear ReadyNAS 2xx that has no problems

c) A older DELL machine that has problems

What happens to the Dell is as follows: The IP address is in the LAN Setup, Address Reservation, and I have that IP in the Port forwarding with a specific port (like the DVR and like the ReadyNAS)

d) At times (quite a bit actually), I find the Dell all of a sudden in limbo trying to connect forever..

e) I have to remove it from the LAN Setup, Address Reservation

f) then, it connects ?

g) If I add it back to LAN Setup, Address Reservation, it potentially happens again ?

f) I do use access control -- not sure if that is the problem, as when I remove it from LAN Setup, Address Reservation, it appears in the access control live list again?

(Note: This machine is connected to a Netgear 1GB switch, and that switch is connected to one of the X10 ethernet ports)

Please help.

P.S> the problem is I have left this machine out of the LAN Setup, Address Reservation list -- but it changed the IP addres again in just 1 day, and now the IP in the Port forwarding does not match anymore.... blah blah

Let me know if I can provide log files (how to do that, etc) - plus maybe I am still in regular support since I bought this in Dec 2018 ?

Thanks,

devildog

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions

Use this as a guide, modify accordingly.

LAN address of router: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Pool 192.168.1.100 ~ 192.168.1.200

Assign a static IP, subnet mask and gateway to the Dell's NIC which is above or below the DHCP pool range specified above.

or

Re-enable  the Address Reservation.  Assign an IP which is (again) above or below the DHCP pool you've specified to the Dell's NIC MAC address.  Leave DHCP enabled on the NIC, disable / enable the interface.  It will grab the IP you specified in the reservation. 

If you use my suggestion(s), the IP will never change, no device will ever get the Dell's IP and your port forwarding will work without issue.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies

Use this as a guide, modify accordingly.

LAN address of router: 192.168.1.1

DHCP Pool 192.168.1.100 ~ 192.168.1.200

Assign a static IP, subnet mask and gateway to the Dell's NIC which is above or below the DHCP pool range specified above.

or

Re-enable  the Address Reservation.  Assign an IP which is (again) above or below the DHCP pool you've specified to the Dell's NIC MAC address.  Leave DHCP enabled on the NIC, disable / enable the interface.  It will grab the IP you specified in the reservation. 

If you use my suggestion(s), the IP will never change, no device will ever get the Dell's IP and your port forwarding will work without issue.

Message 2 of 14
devildoggod
Aspirant

Hello,

Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP Address 192.168.10.2
Ending IP Address 192.168.10.254

Tried to go with your Option #2 -->
assigned 192.168.10.300 to the Address Reservation

The Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 did not allow this....

Tried to go with your Option #1 -->
assigned the Dell NIC as 192.168.10.300

The Dell NIC gave me a red box -- so I could never save it ?

I tried as a static IP the IP the Netgear router gave me: 192.168.10.21

It seemed to catch after reboot -- however, a browser could not browse etc  -- so I went back to DHCP

So far the router has kept the IP address of 192.168.10.21 -- but who knows - 🙂

I have to admit -- all other routers - when I specified Address Reservation -- it was solid -- and it kept that address!!

!!!!!!!==> I think this is a bug in the firmware (hello Netgear admins!!!!) <==!!!!!!!

Thank you 'shadowports' - any other ideas will be appreciated

Message 3 of 14
IrvSp
Master

Read the response to you again.

192.168.10.300 is NOT 192.168.1.200.

Two things here...

• The router can only have 255 IP Addresses, it takes 1 and 192.168.1.255 is the last and used for logging. The whole idea is to have 2 pools of IP Addresses so there is no collision between DHCP handed out and Reserved/Static IP Addresses, Setting the pool to start at 100 usually will fix that problem.
  • You have to set the pool to start with a VALID Router IP Address. Usual default IP Address would be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. 192.168.10.1 is NOT a normal IP Address for the router.

You can find the IP Address of the router when you SIGN INTO IT... that URL is the IP Address of the router. You'll also find that on the GUI Advanced tab in the Router Information box. Use the first 3 octets and then add .100 and 200 for the fields starting and ending address for the DHCP server (this first 3 octets should already be filled in), but in any case the ending address can't be greater than 254 (which should have been set to). All you needed to do was change the START>

Message 4 of 14
antinode
Guru

> The router can only have 255 IP Addresses, it takes 1 and
> 192.168.1.255 is the last and used for logging.

A "255.255.255.0" _subnet_ can have only 256 addresses, ".0" -
".255".  ".0" and ".255" are reserved, and the router needs one for
itself (by default, ".1", but you could change it if you really wanted
to).  That's why the default DHCP pool range is ".2" - ".254".

".300" is too large (> 254), hence "did not allow this....".

> 192.168.10.1 is NOT a normal IP Address for the router.

Not really.  As a router LAN address, "192.168.10.1" is just fine.

Message 5 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@antinode, yes, should have said 256.

As for 192.168.10.xxx, that is not the normal default though. If that is what in use, either the OP changed it for some reason, there was a typo (as in the fields that need to be changed the first 3 octets are filled in on the LAN SETUP page.

Of course 300 can't be used, but it was never suggested, so it too might have been a typo.

Yes, these are all possible for a Private LAN IP Address:

RFC1918 name IP address range host id size
24-bit block 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 24 bits
20-bit block 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 20 bits
16-bit block 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 16 bits

If the OP changed the default one would expect that the range of valid addresses would be known? If it was done automatically I wonder what is in front of the router? Could be part of the problem here?

Message 6 of 14
antinode
Guru

> As for 192.168.10.xxx, that is not the normal default though. [...]

So what?  "the default" and "the only possible" are spelled
differently for a reason.

> If the OP changed the default one would expect that the range of valid
> addresses would be known? [...]

Your expectations may be too high.

> [...] If it was done automatically I wonder what is in front of the
> router? Could be part of the problem here?

I doubt that it was automatic, or that it is significant.

So far as I can see, the "300" was the biggest problem here.  When
that gets straightened out, then perhaps Address Reservation will work
as expected, and we can get back to whatever the original problem might
have been with the "A older DELL machine".

Message 7 of 14
devildoggod
Aspirant

1) My Starting IP Address 192.168.10.2
My Ending IP Address 192.168.10.254

==>>> Actually I did choose '10' instead of the default '1' (e.g. xxx.xxx.10.xxx) -> That works fine...

2) In the original post it stated: "...the Dell's NIC which is above or below the DHCP pool range specified above..."

==>>> I do not know what the hell I was thinking!! 😉  I was think that was saying higher than 254....

3) I have now implemented Option #2 in the original post -- Which is what I have been doing without the "enable/reenable NIC" part -- However, I am still not sure of this yet, since when I would reboot the Dell machine, the NIC was reenabled on startup: AND this is where I was seeing the issue (a hanging not connecting, etc)

4) I suppose if I still have issues, I should try the static IP test....

Thanks to IrvSp and Antinode for the extra help!!

Message 8 of 14
devildoggod
Aspirant

It happened again (Using option #2) - sometime overnight - the Dell NIC dropped the connection (e.g. Linux swpinning wheel for connection icon!).
This of course drops the machine into the "Nighthawk->Security->Access Control->Allowed devices not currently connected list
Note: turning off access control does not change things.
--> What does change things is removing this machine from the "Address Reservation" list <<--- Remember: Only this happens to just this machine!?
----> My other two machines live in the "Address Reservation" list without problems!! 🙂
------> I go to "Address Reservation" list, select the reserved Dell IP, delete, click apply: when the router finishes the apply, BOOM the Dell connects 🙂
========> Again, This 'seems' to be some odd buggy behavior with this older Dell NIC and my new Nighthawk router ???

Anyway, I went with Option #1 Setup the NIC with a static IP), now and it is working... If that somehow fails with the same behaviors, I will report back here...

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 14
IrvSp
Master

I've had a 10 year old Dell XPS working fine.

One confusing thing you said, "Linux swpinning wheel for connection icon!"? What OS are you running? Which network adapter are you using? Wired or the Dell Wireless?

From my PRESENT experience with 2 Dell XPS's, an 8700 (5 years old) and XPS 8500 (7 years old) I've got some wireless connection problems too. Works fine unless the PC's (both running W10 V1809, one Home, the other Pro, with different 3rd party wireless AC devices) come out of sleep. One is a RealTek 8812AU chipset, and the problem was more apparent until the last update driver from RealTek for the device. Now both have it happen, but not very often.

If this happens when you come out of 'sleep', CHECK the device Properties for POWER. Make sure it can NOT be turned off to save power, that is a common cause of this.

Message 10 of 14
devildoggod
Aspirant

- Ubuntu Linux Studio

- Wireless is off, in fact this has been Wired for years now

- The wired connection active and working icon is in the upper right hand corner (a double arrow kind of thing), but when the event occurs, and the router drops the connection, the 'double arrow kind of thing icon' turns to this 'spinning wheel icon' --> and disconnect wired and reconnect wired will NOT work!

- the steps in the router to immediately reolve and watch the spinning wheel icon change to a double arrow kind of thing icon are described in my last Post!

- Current status: static IP address setting is holding fastr so far....

- This DELL is maybe 10 years old and still cranking....

- Why I think this may be some strange router bug: All the routers previous, and I have had several due to changeing ISPs, never had this issue with this particualr machine (and the two machines I have still in Address reservation are newer machines, and they and the router have not shown this behavior)

Anyway, maybe its time to setup a new machine to replace this one anyway - one day...

Message 11 of 14
ACCRG
Aspirant

I am having the same problem.  I have many home automation devices I ran fine on an old router. Just got this R9000 and no matter what, the devices are moving around iP address wise.  My pool is 100 to 254 as I put static devices below 100.  Home automation works better when the addresses don't move around but I didn't want to have to assign a static ip to each of them. 

Address reservation on the R9000 flat does not work.

Message 12 of 14
antinode
Guru

> Address reservation on the R9000 flat does not work.

"flat" or lumpy, a useful problem report of this type would include
the version of the (apparently defective) firmware.  (And, as always,
an actual version number would be more useful than anyone's opinion of
what's "latest" today.)

Message 13 of 14
ACCRG
Aspirant

Serial Number=5V118B5Xxxxxx 

Firmware Version=1.0.4.28.

TA=100-22419-01R10

Netgear R9000-100NAS