Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with R7000 freezing - possibly due to assigning IP addresses/DHCP

Cleverfiend
Tutor

Problem with R7000 freezing - possibly due to assigning IP addresses/DHCP

I'm running the latest firmware V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

The wireless connections keep freezing and the router recovers within about five minutes. When I look in the log after this has happened I see a list of similar entries, all timestamped within a couple of minutes

The entries look like this

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.10)] to MAC addreas xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Tuesday, Dec 25,2018 22:09:41

This might happen repeatedly in an evening, but another evening it might not happen. I can't see a pattern. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks 🎄🎅🏼

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

you can also install FreshTomato as it works great on the R7000. You also have DD/OpenWrt as options in case the horrible stock firmware is making you bald 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 15

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Not much help really. All it shows is that an IP Address was assigned to a specific MAC address. Cause, UNKNOWN.

Is this on one SSID only? One device only? That would be important to know as well as the device? Any updates on the Router or device recently as well? Device spec's would also be nice. This could be either a device problem OR the router dropping the connection and the device repeatedly every short period of time for an IP Address... hard to tell. If no other device is on that SSID it will be hard to determine, but if others are and they don't drop it sort of points to the device.

By the way, my NG A6200 USB adapter does that quite often and I never see a slowdown or signal drop:

=============

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6:D3:44, Monday, Dec 24,2018 18:58:16
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6:D3:44, Monday, Dec 24,2018 18:56:42
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6:D3:44, Monday, Dec 24,2018 18:56:04
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6:D3:44, Monday, Dec 24,2018 18:55:00
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.45)] to MAC address 24:05:0F:F6:D3:44, Monday, Dec 24,2018 18:54:48

=============

And I KNOW it is the device and not my PC. Netgear confirmed this happens with the A6200 and that happened when on my wife's PC. I just switched USB 5Ghz devices with her USB 5Ghz device and as you can see, I get the same log info.

Only difference is you 'freeze', I do not. Bottom line, unless there is more data to be found, either in the log or on the device, it could be normal. Yes, I have periods when it doesn't do that too, but when it does, it seems to come in multiple log entries.

Message 2 of 15
Cleverfiend
Tutor

I've taken the bull by the horns and done a factory reset and set up from scratch again so we'll see if this helps.

DHCP requests were for lots of devices (I have 30 on my network) but about half were for a single device located on the edge of my wireless range so I've given that a static IP address (and also reserved the IP address internally so I don't get any clashes). We'll see if that makes a difference

I've also been hit by the bug posted on this forum where devices are refused a connection with an authentication error. This coincides with the mass of DHCP entries so I suspect the two are related.  For now I'll see how things go!

Thanks for the input 🙂

Message 3 of 15
D-Smoke
Tutor

I did a hard reset today on an R7000 along with updating firmware to latest version. I had problems right away. The Router has froze multiple times seems to be locking up more on 5 GHz then I'll switch to 2.4 GHz (I don't use the auto switch) and then the router freezes and reboots. Everything drops offline. Man I have never seen such botched firmware. Every since Netgear released Circle the firmware has been absolute garbage. I have installed dozens of these it's been my go to for a long time. I never have to reboot this thing in the past and it handles everything you throw at it. Netgear, please stop putting efforts into some stupid Circle app and spend it debugging new firmware. Leave stuff like that to consumer friendly all in ones that ISP's have a backdoor into. Not sure what's going on at Netgear but this has been my favorite router but like I said since Circle even if you disable it, it's garbage and unstable be it QOS or speed issues and now it's rebooting and dumbing devices which I have never seen reboots like this since this latest release. Sad you have to rollback but at least they let you or I would have a new router and brand already. 

Message 4 of 15
myersw
Master

Latest firmware, .60, has issues. Would suggest going to an older version. When doing so also do a reset after the downgrade and reconfigure. 

Yes you are correct that Netgear has lost their way in building good firmware. Seems to be especially true for routers with Broadcomm chip sets like the r7000. Used to be my go to until a r8000 and r8000p both sold due to on going firmware issues. That is when I vowed no Netgear routers on my home network and moved on. 

Message 5 of 15
Cleverfiend
Tutor

I think the problem has been going on for about a month, meanwhile, the Netgear software engineers are sat on their hands and doing nothing. Still stuck on V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

I can almost set a clock by the loss of wifi between 9 and 10pm - I'm constantly rebooting and switching my iPad to a cellular connection to the point I'm considering buying another brand of router - preferably one that cares about customer service.

I shouldn't have to revert to an earlier version of firmware to make my router work - Netgear sent the update, so it is down to Netgear to fix it.

Message 6 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@Cleverfiend wrote:

I think the problem has been going on for about a month, meanwhile, the Netgear software engineers are sat on their hands and doing nothing. Still stuck on V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

I can almost set a clock by the loss of wifi between 9 and 10pm - I'm constantly rebooting and switching my iPad to a cellular connection to the point I'm considering buying another brand of router - preferably one that cares about customer service.

I shouldn't have to revert to an earlier version of firmware to make my router work - Netgear sent the update, so it is down to Netgear to fix it.

While I agree with the last statement, you do have a work-around, backlevel the firmware. Yes, this shouldn't be required, but it seems it is.

I wouldn't think a 'fix' should/would' come as fast as you think... especially given the fact of the other problems with that f/w and that the last 'solid' one was the .42 release. A .58 release was pulled within a week or so of release, and then the .60 was released a short time later. You see how that turned out. NG did a 'partial' recall on .60, it is off the automated d/l servers I understand. Also there are people without problems, so I don't think it is a simple fix or easy to possibly identify the cause.

I suspect NG Support did some testing before release, at least I hope they did. If they learned anything about the .58/.60 release fiasco, it would be they better get it right and do whatever it takes to be sure it ships as problem free as it can be. Still surprised no PUBLIC call for beta testers, but quite possible those that did report the problem are getting code to test.

Message 7 of 15
microchip8
Master

you can also install FreshTomato as it works great on the R7000. You also have DD/OpenWrt as options in case the horrible stock firmware is making you bald 🙂

Message 8 of 15
vbs1
Tutor

Firmware Version
V1.0.9.60_10.2.60

This is the absolutely worst firmware I ever installed! It freezes every few days for me. It has been going on since I applied it. I have USB connected - the USB becomes unavailable, if I try to login to the UI it is as slow as a turtle and I have to use the on/off button on the back. In addition - 5Gb drops on newer windows machine.

Circle with Disney - really? You invested money for THIS! Who was the smart executive who got the big paycheque for THAT. 

You are not getting it at all Netgear. People who buy your routers value relyability and speed. They want not to depend on programs that they have to install on their smart phones. They want not to pay monthly bills to more and more big corporations. People bought your equipement because they trusted you that your equipement works - non stop all the time - RELYABLY!

If your firmware is not relyable and the router locks again and again - then the firmware is simply botched not worth it!

Users call that "Betrayal".

Message 9 of 15
microchip8
Master

The R7000 used to have OK-ish firmware back when it came out, until NG **bleep**ed it up and many people were forced to either sell it or migrate to alternative firmware. I hope this doesn't happen to the R7800 too which is the current "best" offering NG has to offer, both hardware-wise and firmware

Message 10 of 15
IrvSp
Master

@microchip8 , I think there is 'hope' for ALL router firmware now! On 1/17 NG release new firmware for the R7800. The README had some 'fixes' that appear to be over many routers with the same problems:

-------------------

New Features and Enhancements:

• Modifies the router web interface to support DDNS GDPR v3.
  • Includes a new NETGEAR banner logo.
  • Removes Step 1 from the ReadySHARE Vault page in the router web interface, which asked to install the genie app.
  • The http request will not be redirected when the router detects a WAN/LAN IP conflict in the blank state.
  • Updates dnsmasq to V2.78.
  • Includes a login password enhancement in the router web interface to support a more secure password.

Bug Fixes:

• Improve the stability of the wireless 5G interface
  • Fixes the issue where the speed test in the QoS page always displays a zero number.
  • Fixes the issue where if the MTU value is set to 1492 in PPPoE mode, some IPv6 web site can’t be accessed.
  • Fixes some minor bugs.

Hopefully Netgear Support chose to make the fixes on that router and if all goes well, roll the same fixes and updates to the rest of the line. Reports on this f/w appear mixed though. Internal LAN DNS's not working and some mobile app problems.

Message 11 of 15
vbs1
Tutor

I completely reset my router (this is from backup / restore area - revert to factory default) and entered all configuration by hand. I also kept all configuration to the absolute minimum (no statistics or quality of service, no filtering of hosts etc.)

Initial behavior is encouraging (it "appears" faster to me). However - I have done this only 15 min. ago

If even the steps above do not resolve the freezing and USB becoming unaccessible - my next step would be 3rd party firmware.

Message 12 of 15
D-Smoke
Tutor

Netgear trashed its own firmware ever since Disney Circle was introduced it has been crappy and the latest release is not usable. I pushed dozens of these routers to friends & family since it came out including myself. While the hardware is excellent, Netgear has been using untrained dolphins to release firmware with no end to the madness. How these trash releases make it past testing to release is beyond me. I went to Xwrt-Vortex, been working a million times better than stock. My devices actually stay connected vs dumping which never had this problem when I first got the router. Give it a try. 

Message 13 of 15
vbs1
Tutor

Yesterday I applied R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.64

To be on the safe side I even reset the router and entered all details manually again. To my disappointment - the stability of 5G network did not improve. I am connecting with brand new DELL Precision and the 5G disconnects and pinging fluxuates quite a bit. Long story short - I made a backup and moved to a 3rd party firmware (Advanced Tomato in my case). I should say the stability under Tomato improved significantly. It connects right away and as far as I can say for now - it just works. The 3rd party firmware has so many features that I have never dreamed to have under the original Negtear (Yes Netgear - there are other features that are much more impressive than Disney Circle). I should say - I am actually quite overwhelmed. Currently I am planning to stay on Advanced Tomato until I form a better opinion but initial impression is very good.

One of the biggest benefits of this router is the support for 3rd party firmware. I actually would like to see a much bigger colaboration between manufacturers and open source.

Message 14 of 15
myersw
Master

Yes I ran Advanced Tomato on my r7000 back in the day. Ran very well. There is Fresh Tomato that gets good reviews as well. Just do not run XWRT. It is a Asus kluge with license issues and some folks report a backdoor. 

Yes lots of knobs to twist. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7