Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems after Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 Update

milton_7
Initiate

Problems after Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 Update

When I uodated to Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83, I lost all my wireless connections... I was able to reconnect some of my devices to the 5Ghz channel but the 2.4 Ghz channel does not appear to be working... My guest channels are working and I have had to connect some devices there... However I cannot connect either of my wireless printers... I have never had this kind of problem before when updating firmware... Any assistance with my problem will be sincerely appreciated... Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 56

Accepted Solutions
milton_7
Initiate

That is exactly what I did and it fixed the problem (revert the firmware to the previous version and reset the router)... However, it has really been a pain getting some my devices to connect to my router... I have 2-wireless printers that for some unknown reason would not connect to the router... I had to totally remove both of them from my computer and reinstall the software to get them to reconnect... I thought firmware updates were suppose to improve your system, not totally make it crash... 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 56

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you search the forum and see that others had same if not similar problems and see what was suggested? The only choices are default to factory settings, and re-enter user settings, default to factory settings download previous FW version and reload it.

Message 2 of 56
tsmoore
Tutor

I had the same exact problem with my upgrade to V1.0.6.28_1.1.83.

I reverted back to the previous firmware release and still have the same problem.  It seems to have bricked the 2.4Ghz (non-guest) account. In fact, it seems the 5Gz works less reliably than before--no hard facts.  Would really like to see this fixed.

Message 3 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

I am having the same problem with mine.  I have 2 R7000 routers one in AP mode and the other as the main router.  Prior to the latest update my 2.4 and 5Ghz networks ran great.  Now only the Guest 2.4Ghz  works but that isn't a solution since it is isolated from my other systems.  The 5 Ghz has now suffered drastic degredation.  I even updated the MTU's manually based on the best ping test and disable QoS to get the "most" out of the firmware upgrade degraded performance.  This needs to get fixed ASAP!!

Message 4 of 56
tsmoore
Tutor

Based on this post R7000 has issue with DHCP reservation after firmware upgrade (V1.0.6.28_1.1.83) I found that after you revert to the 1.0.5... release you need to do a factory reset to get the 2.4Ghz (non-guest) account to work again.

I agree, this needs to be fixed ASAP.  For the price of this router you'd expect better release testing and performance, not a degradation.

Message 5 of 56
milton_7
Initiate

That is exactly what I did and it fixed the problem (revert the firmware to the previous version and reset the router)... However, it has really been a pain getting some my devices to connect to my router... I have 2-wireless printers that for some unknown reason would not connect to the router... I had to totally remove both of them from my computer and reinstall the software to get them to reconnect... I thought firmware updates were suppose to improve your system, not totally make it crash... 

Message 6 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Hi milton_7,

Please check your inbox.

Message 7 of 56
Madcustomer
Initiate

Same exact problems as stated above. Plz fix this ASAP.
Message 8 of 56
hollandpeter
Tutor

Same problem here.  I'm an newbe.  Where do I find the old firmware files,and what is the best fway to revert?

Thanks!

Message 9 of 56
doub
Aspirant

Having several issues with this firmware as well. VPN on Android is not working for me. Turning off UPnP did however allow my 2.4GHz wifi to begin working. You may want to give that a shot.

Message 10 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

Firmware v1.0.6.28... "update"

I wish it were that simple for me...I never allow uPNP so this wasn't an option...I did cycle it on then off just to check but no luck with the 2.4Ghz.  I ended up having to upload the 1.0.4... version and downgrade the router then reinstall ALL my setting by hand.  Going forward I will save each version's settings as I only backed up the v1.0.6 once I updated and deleted the old ones...the v1.0.4 is ok but starting to act sluggish...I hope this isn't indicicative of some firmware / hardware issues due to the up then downgrade.  I hope they fix this IMMEDIATELY and I hate having slow (for no reason) hardware performance.

Message 11 of 56
ea500pilot
Aspirant

I had the same problem. I use two R7000's ... one as the primary wireless router and the other in AP mode. Only the AP unit seems to have the problem. So I reverted that one to firmware version 1.0.5.48 to solve it.

hollandpeter ... You can find the previous firmware versions at downloadcenter.netgear.com. Enter R7000 in the text search box, and it will give you a list of available firmware versions and associated release notes. The instructions for loading the downloaded firmware is near the end of its release notes.

Next time I'll be checking this forum before updating the firmware. That was quite a nightmare trying to solve the problem. Wasted a lot of time.

Message 12 of 56
kmbsmb
Initiate

I downloaded this update tonight and am now encountering the same problem...no 2.4ghz network. The guest 2.4 ghz works and the 5.0ghz channels work. I reverted to the 1.0.5 firmware and hit the reset button. No joy--still no 2.4 ghz channel. What's my next move. This is really aggravating...

Message 13 of 56
trussell64
Initiate

I am having the exact same issue.  The Guest and the 5 gHz account works fine but the 2.4gHz account will not connect since I upgraded my firmware.  This is ridiculous.  They really need to come up with a fix or I will have to revert to the previous version and reconfigure my router.  I tried just restoring to my previous back-up before the upgrade and it didn't make a difference.

Message 14 of 56
kmbsmb
Initiate

After I reloaded the previous firmware version, I had to do the factory reset--hold the reset button down for 10 seconds. Once I did that, and reconfigured my network channels, everything worked.

Message 15 of 56
hgpilot55
Star

There was a big article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal (1/19/16) about home users who don't update their firmware.  As an IT professional I'm ususally on top of this but with these Netgear routers you have to manually check Netgear Genie from time to time - and I remembered that I hadn't done this.  So I found the new 1.0.6.28_1.1.83 and as soon as I upgraded none of my wireless Apple devices would connect.  Tried every trick in the book to no avail so I downgraded to firmware version 1.0.4.28_1.1.64 and everything started working properly again.  Not sure what the issue is but I'm sure Netgear support is swamped with calls right now.  Good luck.

Message 16 of 56
rpoffen
Virtuoso

It seems with Netgear updates at least (particularly this latest), you MUST revert the router to factory defaults, and re-enter the settings manually, or you will have problems. In fact, the release notes for the 1.0.6.28 update says you must to this reset.

Note that this is NOT the same as simply rebooting or pwer cycling the router, this is a hard reset. There are two ways to do it, either through the web admin GUI, or by pressing the reset button which is accessed via a straightened paperclip os similar small wire through the hole in the rear of the unit.

I believe it has to do with the area of the non volatile memory where the settings are stored. This area of memory gets allocated differently between different firmware versions, and settings that are valid for one version are read incorrectly by a different version. Resetting back to defaults initializes this area appropriately for that version.

Message 17 of 56
hgpilot55
Star

That's good advice - I will try that as soon as I respond to this post.  One observaion however - I took the easy route and upgraded via Netgear Genie which only informs me an upgrade is available and then walks me through an upgrade.  It's a simple Yes - next - next - next - reboot - then you're done.  In other words, there isn't an opportunity to read any release notes unless I manually log into the website, dig until I find the firmware page for my router, download a file that I've already upgraded, and read the release notes.

Regardless - I'll try this suggestiona and hope this works as I had to downgrade to 1.0.4.28 to allow my Apple devices to work again.

Message 18 of 56
hgpilot55
Star

Actually, I just went to the release notes for this version and don't see anything about a hardware reset - maybe I'm missing something but exactly where is the language that you referred to?  THis is all I see:

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router to complete the upgrade.
  2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn’t display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade.  After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.
    Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it  may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.
Message 19 of 56
senecan
Guide

Ok so I'm paused on Firmware Version V1.0.5.48_1.1.79, waiting to see some kind of official comment before taking the plunge.  I didn't just go ahead with the update because of a lack of confidence inspired by the release notes on the router upgrade admin page:

5.   Please Note: If you have setup Port Forwarding, it needs to be re-configured after updating to firmware V1.0.6.28. Please remove all entries in the p

Yup, it ends with "Please remove all entries in the p".  So this is worrying on so many levels - there's a important note that is truncated here, and also I'm a bit concerned that a firmware upgrade should ruin my existing configuration with numerous port forwarding, which suggests lazy programming.  As it's truncated I'm worried there's a point 6 that might be missing too.

What is the "p" I need to remove all entries from?  Will that avert some of the issues everyone is clearly experiencing?

I'm also unsure if I backup my settings now and then restore post-update, will my port forwarding rules be restored?

Sorry but this smells of something fundamentally untested.  Reading the comments here my confidence level in Netgear's QA is close to zero.  I think for security purposes I need to keep updating my firmware but I sure as hell am not going through multiple firmware downgrades, manual settings restoration and device reconfiguration.  It's great credit to everyone that took the time to alert us pre-upgrade that there are issues, but I see despite your feedback this upgrade is still being punted by Netgear and there is just no official response.

Hello?  Anyone from Netgear there?  Or is it time to turn the lights off?

Message 20 of 56
hgpilot55
Star

I was having the same issue but as RPOFFEN pointed out about, you've got to manually do a hard reset to the router AFTER you complete the firmware upgrade.  Although it completely removes any customization (port forwarding, password, wireless settings, etc.) - it purges whatever is causing the conflict.  Like you, I experienced the same issue and as I had originally used Netgear Genie to complete my firmware update (I was 2 updates behind).  The problem with Genie is that it never requires you to read any specific instructions that are contained in the manually downloaded file - the alternative method to a firmware update.  Additionally, once Genie is done with the upgrade it reboots (not a hard reset) the router and that's when your problems start.  As RPOFFEN correctly pointed out, after you do a hard reset, your problems will go away (at least they did for me).

It doesn't make sense to debate how Netgear should address this better - the fact is that they don't and no amount to frustration ever seems to filter back to those who should make changes to the process.  I gave up on trying to notify the right people (for any IT support product line) years ago - I'm just glad I got mine to work - thanks RPOFFEN for your post.  I also try to contribute to these forums when I solve my own problems since the manufacturer rarely seems to care if I share my solutions with them.

Message 21 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Hi senecan,

The 'p' you were referring is port forwarding. Here is the full note from the release note.

Please Note: If you have setup Port Forwarding, it needs to be re-configured after updating to firmware V1.0.6.28. Please remove all entries in the port forwarding table and add them back to reconfigure it.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30175

Message 22 of 56
senecan
Guide

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi senecan,

The 'p' you were referring is port forwarding. Here is the full note from the release note.

Please Note: If you have setup Port Forwarding, it needs to be re-configured after updating to firmware V1.0.6.28. Please remove all entries in the port forwarding table and add them back to reconfigure it.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30175

Thanks for clarifying - I downloaded the update separately and found the release note embedded.  I'd like not to have to do that each time of course and just use the admin page...

I'd also like to believe this will save manually re-entering all my port forwarding rules, but I think you would have suggested this in the release notes?  Will this work:

1. Backup router config.
  2. Apply firmware update.
  3. Reset router.
  4. Restore settings.

If it's that easy you would have said so right?  Or has the format of the backup file changed?

Message 23 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Hi senecan,

You can try the back up settings to reloaded after the update and reset but if issue still happens it suggested to manually reconfigure the router after the update and reset.

Message 24 of 56
milton_mike
Aspirant

Same here. 2.4GHz is bricked, 5GHz is ok, Guest connects but doesn't really work. Can't believe Netgear released this version without testing.... i had three port forwarding entries and one reserved IP entry - otherwise very out-of-the box config. HELP ASAP as most of my family's devices are 2.4GHz.
Message 25 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7