Problems since upgrading to 1.03.24_1.1.20 FW

JMeier
Aspirant

Problems since upgrading to 1.03.24_1.1.20 FW

Several weeks ago I upgraded the router to the above firmware. I also did a complete factory reset and manually restored all my previous settings. Since then, whenever I attempted to log into the router via the ip address, and my proper logon and password, I would get into the main screen, and they would all be blank except for a message that says, "The server closed the connection without sending any data." I have tried the following:
1. Resetting the router via the reset button. For some reason this is not restoring the router to a default factory setting. I have attempted this at least 10 times. It is apparent that the reset button is not working.
2. I have tried a 30-30-30 hard reset of the router to no avail
3. I have started a ticket with Netgear support and have clearly stated that I cannot access any screens to even attempt to revert the firmware to an earlier version.
4. Despite my clear descriptions of the problem, the techs keep telling me to access a menu and load the older firmware. My frustration with their support (or lack thereof) is wearing thin

The router itself works and I have internet access. I just cannot access it to change any settings, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Message 1 of 10
joecop
Luminary

Re: Problems since upgrading to 1.03.24_1.1.20 FW

Unless you changed the IP address of the router, set a static ip on your network card.
To to properties of the network card, click on ipv4 then properties.
Click the use the following IP address box.
In IP address type 192.168.1.9, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1.

Do all this on a hard wired computer. Then try to access the router at 192.168.1.1
Message 2 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Try a different PC or set all browser settings to default and try again.
Message 3 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

searay wrote:
Try a different PC or set all browser settings to default and try again.

Yes, I would dump the internet cache on my browser, and restart it, and see if that helps.
Message 4 of 10
JMeier
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions and I have tried all of them. I am able to log in via the ip address and password, the problem is that:
1. No menus or status of the router shows up anywhere. There is an icon in the middle of the area and wording that says "The server closed the connection without sending any data."
2. As I cannot access any of the menus, I cannot apply any new/old firmware
3. The router will not reset to defaults. Have tried every suggestion and process I have been able to find in these forums.
4. Netgear support is poor and it is obvious that a computer must be reading and responding as I have been very explicit in stating the problems and observations.

Bought this router 6 months ago when it first came out so I am outside their 90 days of support and they won't pick up a phone.

I don't need a $200 anchor.
Message 5 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Okay, for resetting to defaults, try turning off the router. Turn the router on, and start pressing the reset button within a few seconds of turning it on. Hold the reset button for about 15 seconds, and that should either reset it to defaults, or get it into recovery mode (power light flashing) so you can tftp the same firmware to the router. Either way, you have a path for recovery.
Message 6 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I know on my old 3700 there was a way to initiate a firmware flash during the boot sequence in case you didn't have access to the GUI. I'm not sure how it was done but you might research it.

You could flash DD-WRT and then flash back to factory stock.
Message 7 of 10
joecop
Luminary

My advice? Sell it on eBay and pick up an asus rt-ac68u. Click on my username and find my posts.
Read about my experience with netgear support regarding the r6300v1 and my total opposite customer support from asus regarding an rt-n66u.
Message 8 of 10
RogerSC
Virtuoso

htismaqe wrote:

You could flash DD-WRT and then flash back to factory stock.

Could also re-flash the same firmware. That sometimes fixes this sort of thing, too.
Message 9 of 10
JMeier
Aspirant

After several days of back and forth with Support, they finally agreed this is a hardware issue and sent me an RMA for the device. I was never able to get it to reset in order to reflash the firmware.

Hopefully the new unit will behave better!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E