QOS Problem with VOIP

madhatter
Apprentice

QOS Problem with VOIP

After connecting my OOMA to the r7000 I get severe VOIP dropout when I browse the internet or try some other activity (like a speedtest). I literally can't hear the conversation from the other side of the phone call. I don't know if they can hear me.

I am suspecting it's a QoS problem. On the r6300 we configure QoS for the download side by specifying APP or MAC or LAN port. On the r7000 you do that for the Upload QoS but not the download. Download appears to be for streaming. I added the OOMA MAC to the download data table, but it had no effect.

So I've gone back to the r6300 and am hoping someone has a suggestion that will work.

NOTE: I have a different VOIP unit on the DMZ and it is working well

Firmware V1.0.2.164_1.0.15
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 1 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: QOS Problem with VOIP

I would expect a VOIP problem when running a speed test as I would expect bad gas mileage if I rode the brakes when driving.

I would suggest using mac priority only and forget about QOS up or down.
Message 2 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I think you have two post...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 16
madhatter
Apprentice

searay, I don't have this problem with the r6300, so it is specific to my r7000. Can you expand on your suggestion to use mac priority only? There are two places where I can specify mac priority -- both on the upload and download screens.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 4 of 16
madhatter
Apprentice

The more I think of it ... this is a gaming router ... duh!

So maybe (since I'm not a gamer) this is just the wrong router for me.

The QoS seems to be optimized for gaming.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 5 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you use any special settings on your R6300 like QOS. What is your ISP speed? Gamming Router IMOP is nothing other than a marketing placebo (sugar pill) used to drive sales.
Message 6 of 16
eXR3
Novice

One of the reasons why I returned my Asus RT-68U is because OOMA will not connect. When it does connect there will be problems with staying connected.

My OOMA works perfect with the R7000. It just connects and starts working. I didn't even have to forward any ports.

I am using the 1.0.1.22_1.0.15 firmware and do not use QOS (I feel that QOS is not needed at all).

I do not have 20/40mhz coexistence enabled. No need to enable this since I set my wireless speed in the wireless settings permanently to 20mhz anyway for 2.4ghz. Wireless connection so much more stable this way rather than have the router go back and forth.

Another setting which I think gives more problem than help is the SIP ALG setting which I disabled.

Very impressed with the R7000.
Message 7 of 16
madhatter
Apprentice

eXR3,

On the 6300 I use QOS to set my OOMA and Nettalk to highest priority. I turn bandwidth control on and set the value for my upload speed 2mbs. My download speed is 15 mbs. My Nettallk is in the DMZ, and I forwarded the appropriate OOMA ports as described by OOMA support.

On the 7000 I tried with both QOS on and off. I also tried with ports forwarded and not forwarded. Nut everytime I accessed a webpage while on the OOMA, the sound of the other party would stop until the webage loaded. Oddddd
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 8 of 16
mozerd
Guide

I would not port forward for OOMA on the R7000. I do agree that QoS should work for VoIP etc. but for some reason Netgear have chosen not to provide explicit VoIP ID under QoS for now ... perhaps they will in some future update. If your Internet Broadband connection has good metrics [25 Mbps Down 5 Mbps UP] then QoS may not be needed however if you are heavy duty Torrent users QoS will be needed.
David Mozer
Message 9 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The only reason to use upload bandwidth control would be if ISP set a cap. Be sure the problem is Not an interference problem being caused from the WIFI interfering with a cordless phone. I have noticed since using 5gAC If I'm on cordless phone and laptop as I have done for years, Now I cannot hear the other person until I move away from laptop or stop surfing. This never occurred using 2.4 or 5g N.
Message 10 of 16
madhatter
Apprentice

I'm suspecting that there may have been a combination of issues with the R7000. I liked the router itself. It was a bit snappier than the 6300; I would say that it did have less lag.

I had this shipped to me and only had a 14 day return window. By the time I got it, and used it I only had a couple days to test.

My guess is that part of the problem were the configuration options that are geared towards gaming. But it's also very likely that there was something wrong with the configuration causing additional VOIP issues. It could have been as simple as the MAC address not being right in the router... which my experience with some ISP's (including mine) can affect QoS.

So, unfortunately I had to take the 7000 back on the last day without completely troubleshooting it. I am encouraged to hear that other people aren't having VOIP issues, it leads me to believe my issues had environmental components that I never solved.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 11 of 16
PaperFriend
Aspirant

If I turn off QOS my ooma works great. Only has an issue with qos turned on.
Message 12 of 16
madhatter
Apprentice

Yeah, I tried it both ways. Also, I was unable to port forward UDP 1194 to my OOMA's IP address. R7000 would not allow it for some reason. The other port forwards worked. So wondering if that was a problem. I have found that these port forwards really helped on the r6300:

OOMA-UDP123
OOMA-UDP514
OOMA-UDP1194
OOMA-UDP3386
OOMA-UDP3480
OOMA-TCP-UDP53
OOMA-TCP443
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 13 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Been using MagicJack for several years at 3 different locations without a problem. No special instructions, Each one has worked by just plugging into lan port, is it Magic? UPNP is not turned on either.
Message 14 of 16
madhatter
Apprentice

Yup, I'm using an OOMA; a Nettalk (on the DMZ - it's finicky), and a MagicJack with GVJACKAPP --- all coexisting quite nicely.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 15 of 16
NightHawk
Aspirant

Try disabling downstream QOS. It helped me with my VOIP issues.
I have WMM enabled, Upload QOS enabled with Vonage Mac Address rule added with Highest priority. I had also added it to downstream but I noticed every time I run speedtest on other device, it would suck all downstream bandwidth out of Vonage connection. The phone will go totally blank especially on the downlink while the test is running. I tried several combination. Spend lot of time explaining to support without any help. Finally disabling the downstream QOS fixed my VOIP issues.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E