Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QOS of any value?

brainguynyc
Tutor

QOS of any value?

So I have Verizon Fios gigabit. When QOS option is enabled my speed slows to about 20mbps. With QOS disabled I get speeds of about 900mbps which is where I should be. After looking at various problems posted concerning slow speeds I found that QOS is often the problem. So my question is simply "why?". Why is this feature a frequent culprit and why include it if it's such a problem and why can't it be fixed by Netgear?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

It can be useful if your internet speed is slow and you need a device to have more of your service but for most people with 1 gb high speed internet service your wifi devices limit the speed of you wifi. Since the fastest speed is 1gb and the speed of most routers 5ghz band is 1.3 gb qos is useless the 2.4 ghz band may see some help with its speed but still limited to 600mb on most routers.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi brainguynyc,

What is the model number of your router?

What is the firmware version of the router?

When QoS is enabled, what is the priority of your device?

Message 2 of 6
netwrks
Master

@brainguynyc wrote:

So I have Verizon Fios gigabit. When QOS option is enabled my speed slows to about 20mbps. With QOS disabled I get speeds of about 900mbps which is where I should be. After looking at various problems posted concerning slow speeds I found that QOS is often the problem. So my question is simply "why?". Why is this feature a frequent culprit and why include it if it's such a problem and why can't it be fixed by Netgear?

Because with QoS enabled, all packets are CPU bound, killing your throughput. I guess the bigger question is, why QoS with a gig link??..

Message 3 of 6
brainguynyc
Tutor

I've disabled QOS  and it will remain disabled. My wonder was why it seems to cause problems for many users in this community? Does the  feature have any real measurable benefits and, if so, for whom?

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
William10a
Master

It can be useful if your internet speed is slow and you need a device to have more of your service but for most people with 1 gb high speed internet service your wifi devices limit the speed of you wifi. Since the fastest speed is 1gb and the speed of most routers 5ghz band is 1.3 gb qos is useless the 2.4 ghz band may see some help with its speed but still limited to 600mb on most routers.

Message 5 of 6
brainguynyc
Tutor

Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements