Re: QoS Setup Advice?

Craigs
Aspirant

QoS Setup Advice?

I recently tried out the dynamic QoS and it didn't provide the results I was expecting.

It was so far out of whack I was wondering if I was misinterpreting what QoS is actually meant to do. I've never played around with any type of QoS before.

My goal was to have my Apple TV continue playing Netflix without dropping out of HD due to other devices trying to hog the internet connection.

Prior to enabling QoS I set up the following test. I first measured a computer downloading from steam. It was around 16 Mbps, which is pretty much the limit of my ADSL connection.

I then measured Netflix on the Apple TV and while it fluctuated up and down quite a bit I'd say it sat between 3 and 5 Mbps.

I then enabled QoS and set the Apple TV to highest and the computer to high and started a movie playing while Steam downloaded.

I was expecting the Apple TV to keep its 3-5 Mbps and the computer to be given less bandwidth. Instead Netflix went to 1 Mbps and immediately dropped out of HD with the rest of the bandwidth going to Steam.

I moved the computer down to Medium then Low but neither made any difference.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to be looking into? Or is my expectation of what QoS does completely wrong?

Craig.
Message 1 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you let speedtest detect your bandwidth? I would think it needs to know how much or in your case how little it has to work with.You should also update the data base. Streaming NF and downloading another video is a bit much when your ISP limit is only 16.

My Rant (sorry)
First off I'm NO Fan of QOS. Once again today I enabled it and the router could not even display any of the 9 active devices so how the BLANK can it manage bandwidth if it can't tell what's on the Blankin network? If this requires a reboot then when applying it, it should reboot. SOS different day.

Current Performance Optimization Database on RouterVersion: v1.46,1.0.26 Release Date: 2015/03/08
Message 2 of 13
Craigs
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did use speedtest. It returned figures I was expecting. I also updated the database, but it didn't seem to help.

No I don't have a lot of bandwidth to deal with. But I'm close to the exchange so it's pretty good for ADSL2+. If I fiddle with the modems SNR I can almost get it to the theoretical upper limit. But it gets flakey after a few hours so I leave it at the default, which gets a line speed of between 18-19 Mbits.

With this connection, Netflix can normally stay in HD most of the time. I've been stunned at how well it performs when my sons are using youtube on a pair of iPads at the same time. We've only just got Netflix in Australia and I wasn't aware of how little bandwidth it uses till now. The modems bandwidth meter says it's only using a third to a half of what it has available.

I just thought QoS was something I could use to guarantee other things wouldn't ever interfere with it. And also stop the occasional drop from HD we get now. It's one of the reasons I've been so surprised. Turning on QoS made it worse. Which is why I thought I was doing something wrong.

I think I'll switch it off and try again in a few months.
Message 3 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I believe a HD NF stream uses about 6gb an hour so beware if your ISP has a data cap. My son in law has found out I mean business twice in recent months when he changed his bandwidth setting back to HD and I blocked all his devices.

Last word on QOS,
I think NG got it wrong by taking away the users ability to set all the priorities. Yes you can add some additional but you can't turn off the predefined list which is BS.

Good luck!
Message 4 of 13
lilstone87
Apprentice

Yeah currently they give priority on devices based on what there system see's being used. Which isn't right, as all devices should be low priority, and you change priorities on what you need. I have seen couple devices, including cell phone, and such getting high/highest priority. I don't like the QoS system itself handling this for me. I understand this for the less advanced customers, but maybe make a option for this for some of us more advanced customers who want control such things themselves. As I do think the QoS system itself currently doesn't always show up all the current active devices. So you could have something with high/highest priority from the current default system being used, and can't see it, to change it which sucks.
Message 5 of 13
Craigs
Aspirant

searay wrote:
I believe a HD NF stream uses about 6gb an hour so beware if your ISP has a data cap. My son in law has found out I mean business twice in recent months when he changed his bandwidth setting back to HD and I blocked all his devices.

Their help pages say Ultra HD is 6 GB an hour. I don't have a 4K TV and my connection wouldn't be able to sustain the required 25 Mbits ps. So I've set it to HD which they say is only 3GB an hour.

While I may only have ADSL2+, I do have a Terrabyte of data a month so I should be fine.

Thanks for your help.
Message 6 of 13
Craigs
Aspirant

lilstone87 wrote:
I understand this for the less advanced customers...

Yep. This is the first time I've looked at a QoS page and not thrown my hands up in confusion. I'm definitely not an advanced user. So it's a bit of a shame it doesn't seem to work 🙂
Message 7 of 13
TANWare
Star

The problem with the default setup as well is gaming is probably considered a high priority. Steam DL's then will just kick out everything else, the others using YouTube are on a limited stream speed each so multiple connections are not as much an issue. As mentioned try setting everyone else as low and you media device as highest.
Message 8 of 13
D3vious
Star

This router has the worst QOS. How can you automate something that is completely dependant on what the individual users want to use the internet for? Give us the ability to set our own QOS. I want to minimize latency one one connection and dont care about the others. NO way to do this! on a 500 dollar router!??!

So frustrating netgear give us the options we had with previous routers!

Message 9 of 13
fitnesspm
Guide

QOS is design to share bandwidth so everyone can watch something or download. So if 3 people are watching Netflix, it will divide it by 3 (you will lose HD). I've tested this while having people download and watch Netflix (3 TVs) and it seems to share it while giving downloading a smaller priority. I have 12/1 so 3 mb/s going to 3 TV's and the downloading only used 1 mb/s. Netflix didn't drop out on any TV's. For HD I find you need 5-10 mb/s.

Without QoS, Netflix would be buffing alot (lagging) which is why I bought this router where it does fall out of HD cause its sharing the bandwidth. Just wait for NBN where SD and HD isn't much difference and it's something I happy to live with for now!

I find for playing new games, the lag is a nightmare and will drop out when people are uploading to cloud which is something I'm waiting for Netgear to fix! 😕 QOS database is over 1 1/2 years old which is a %) $&/%(@= joke NETGEAR!!!!! 

Gives us access to priorities for QOS so we can customise our own preferences!!!!! 

Message 10 of 13
coolguy949
Apprentice

Try dropping the speed in the QoS settings for upload and download. In order for QoS to work properly, it needs to trim some of your max bandwidth. I would start with 10% lower and see if that helps. You can then gradually raise the setting up until it degrades again. Also try testing for Bufferbloat using the DSL reports speed test.
Message 11 of 13
D3vious
Star

How about some real QOS with packet shaping ability. Like on the old GamerLounge series....

Or an advanced setting with full granular control. The QOS on this router was so rubbish I gave it to my parents.
Message 12 of 13
coolguy949
Apprentice

I know the R7800 and some other models do traffic shaping through Qualcomm's StreamBoost. I think it's based on fq_codel, which is a really effective QoS option. Not sure if yours has that too?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E