Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS Speedtest Failure on R9000 X10

Tilghman
Tutor

QoS Speedtest Failure on R9000 X10

First time here.  Be patient. 

Firmware V1.0.4.12

I have a problem that seems unresolvable with this new router. 3 hours of troubleshooting with tech support, couldn't arrive at a solution.

Modem maker Motorola (Arris 6141) tells me one thing.  My own modem, if it gets a Firware update, it'd be from the ISP.  My ISP (sizable regional company) came out to the house but didn't provide any insights and suggested just ignore that router's  QoS feature! "You really don't need it".  And that after they provison the modem to register it on their network, they do nothing more with it other than assigning an IP address lease.  That they certainly wouldn't push an update to a modem not their own. Only Motorola would do that. Motorola said the ISP does.

I never had a problem with my durabale R7000 router. Ask it to "Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth (recommended)" and get a Download and Upload speed which is used by QoS to do it's thing.

On the R9000 it always fails. Dozens of times, computer hard connected Cat5E to the router. Or WIFI. Different computers, Windows 10, Imac, Linux Mint, different browser. Factory resets. Always the same result. Even on a second R9000 router! Could two new routers have the exact same problem? 

"The Speedtest fails to detect the bandwidth, please check your Internet connection or try again later".  Consistently about a minute wait until this faiure message.

Either both routers have problems ( I don't see others on here with this problem) or I would assume either the year old Arris cablemodem or the ISP?

Speedtests outside of routerlogin work. Just that when logged in to the QoS menu, that feature fails to measure the bandwidth. 

I can "I want to define my Internet bandwidth" and plug in numbers. Still the recommeded way to measure it DL and UL fails.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Tilghman
Tutor

:Fix this, Netgear!

Thanks schumaku  Perhaps I should have just jumped in here from the start?

I'll continue to use the manual entry method with QoS. Until....

It started with a quick call to tech support with a case number, then the grueling investigation and RMA. We did go back to the previous Firmware version, with no success too.

And odd situation occurred with the first few questions Netgear installation setup walks you through as it identifies the router connection to the Internet. It seemed to identify either another router or gateway. None that I'm aware of. Just the Arris modem and the greater ISP service out to the Internet. I wondered if the ISP had something the setup recognized? Something "out there"? It kept asking how I want to handle that device? I guess positively choosing the R9000 as a "router" of choice, after floundering around clicking menu options.

The replacement R9000 arrived. Within 10 minutes of setup, the very same odd identification of seemingly something else already in the network, as well as the QoS failure result. Could some residue leftover from the R7000 been the issue? I'm always cleaning out browser cookies. Just wondering, wondering what setup saw? I mentioned this to tech support first time around. Of course they asked if I also had a router/modem combo or just a modem? Just the latter

I called tech support again for the second R9000 to give them feedback after calling the cable company out. The tests done outside and inside the house were fine. 50 down, 10 up has been adequate for our networked house (TIVO, Arlo cameras, several networked computers). His recommendation was live without Qos. I don't believe I'll get a bill. He did try to upsell me on WIFI repeaters for better connectivity. That's not my problem.

The feedback call to Netgear support had them wanting to start a troubleshooting process again. No way! I'll live with it. "Just know both R9000s have the same problem". 

I'll treat this as solved. Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

In the first iteration, this looks to me like some URL, API, API key, or license key they use with speedtest.net are out of service. The same happens here on a (newer, unreleased, test) firmware here on my R9000, too.

Anyway, if you have a "low bandwidth" Internet connection, and insist in using the QoS system, the best alternate approach is to input the nominal bandwidth from your ISP contract for the up- and downstream accordingly.

Can't see why this requires a router replacement or hours on the support line (gee, this sows the quality of the support btw.). Evaluating and writing this post takes me about a minute or so. @ChristineT - what's up with your support people?

Ok, here for Alex in a second iteration, and spending one minute more enabling the debug telnet access, and peeking around does show this:

root@R9000:/# cat /tmp/ookla_speedtest_result
serverid: 3821
isp: Swisscom
latency: 8
download: 995362
upload: 991085

New conclusion - somehow the router firmware does fail to read the result. Ohdear ohdear Netgear.....  @Altsai what's the matter here?

R9000 v1.0.4.17 Speedtest fails.PNG

Fix this, Netgear!

PS. Very patient with @Tilghman, welcome to the Netgear Community by the way. Much less patience with Netgear.

Message 2 of 7
Tilghman
Tutor

:Fix this, Netgear!

Thanks schumaku  Perhaps I should have just jumped in here from the start?

I'll continue to use the manual entry method with QoS. Until....

It started with a quick call to tech support with a case number, then the grueling investigation and RMA. We did go back to the previous Firmware version, with no success too.

And odd situation occurred with the first few questions Netgear installation setup walks you through as it identifies the router connection to the Internet. It seemed to identify either another router or gateway. None that I'm aware of. Just the Arris modem and the greater ISP service out to the Internet. I wondered if the ISP had something the setup recognized? Something "out there"? It kept asking how I want to handle that device? I guess positively choosing the R9000 as a "router" of choice, after floundering around clicking menu options.

The replacement R9000 arrived. Within 10 minutes of setup, the very same odd identification of seemingly something else already in the network, as well as the QoS failure result. Could some residue leftover from the R7000 been the issue? I'm always cleaning out browser cookies. Just wondering, wondering what setup saw? I mentioned this to tech support first time around. Of course they asked if I also had a router/modem combo or just a modem? Just the latter

I called tech support again for the second R9000 to give them feedback after calling the cable company out. The tests done outside and inside the house were fine. 50 down, 10 up has been adequate for our networked house (TIVO, Arlo cameras, several networked computers). His recommendation was live without Qos. I don't believe I'll get a bill. He did try to upsell me on WIFI repeaters for better connectivity. That's not my problem.

The feedback call to Netgear support had them wanting to start a troubleshooting process again. No way! I'll live with it. "Just know both R9000s have the same problem". 

I'll treat this as solved. Cheers

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Great, thank you @Tilghman for the bug discovery - even if not fully sorted yet!

Message 4 of 7
rdmaster
Initiate

New firmware update 1.0412 has caused my perfectly working router to stop speed test, Wont let me enable Qos ] and my upload speed is from 50 mb down to 6 Mb tops

Apprently the firmware has issues. My Isp sent people out saying its the router.They have had numerous reports on the Newer netgear routers not working with there new high speed systems. I have the router for like 2 months and it worked well till firmware update. I also see others complaining about the same issue. So is there a fix yet ? 400 bucks and a useless router . Had 5 adc5200 go bad as well and Netgear gave me this as a free upgrade. Back to issue of not working correctly. How do we fix this consistnet problem 

Message 5 of 7
Cdealva
Initiate

His router is a nightmare.  Been working two days.  It also tens me the same thing.  Canon check bandwidth , check interest connection.  It also looses Internet connection.  If you sad and watch lights it cycles.  Have 2 xbox one x that it causing lagging issue, dropped connections. Etc.  Returning 2 morrow.

Message 6 of 7
Tilghman
Tutor

I too am waiting for a firmware update but have decided this is a nice router. Before you return it, try a few things.

Right now I have QoS selected ON but am using the manually entered DL and UL speeds gotten the other way(adjacent speed test to the left), not the preferred way which doesn't work (and we hope gets fixed after enough complaints). I have "Enabled Smart Connect" DESELECTED.

The router broadcasts the 2.4 Ghz SSID and the 5 Ghz separately. Until I did this (deselect Smart Connect), I was having random occasional disconnects. Lots of things in this house use 2.4 GHz. Neighbor's routers blast their SSIDs. I suspect 2.4 GHz is more vulnerable to interference than 5 GHz.

I've been torturing 2.4 GHz by using that band as much as I can. Maybe 20 devices. Amazingly things are stable. 5 Ghz will be used when I've determined a device hasn't any problems with 2.4 GHz. 

Try using QoS (with manual speed entries). Use "Enabled Smart Connect" selected.

Try using QoS (with manual speed entries). Use "Enabled Smart Connect" deselected.

Try not using QoS. Use "Enabled Smart Connect" selected

Try not using QoS. Use "Enabled Smart Connect" deselected

Anyway, try various combinations. You might find something that works.

As always, after a firmware update, do a factory default reset. 

I'm keeping the router.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7