Highlighted
Aspirant

QoS not limiting bandwidth on R8500 V1.0.2.100_1.0.82

This is a great router but I have one simple problem I can't seem to solve. My internet connection speed is 30MBps down and 5Mbps down. I have QoS enabled and I've assigned 'Highest' priority for my wired PC (I use it to VPN in to my work so I need it to have highest service priority). I bought a new laptop for my daughter and set the priority to 'Low'. I've started installing updates and programs - and it is using up all of my bandwidth, even though my wired PC was connected first and is a higher priority - it's actually kicking me out of my VPN session! Am I doing something wrong or is there something else I need to set up?? I've read a few posts in here about others having this issue and tried those solutions but it doesn't seem to be working this time.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: QoS not limiting bandwidth on R8500 V1.0.2.100_1.0.82

Welcome to the community, @Kenn_Guilstorf

Will you be disconnected if there's no QoS enabled?

Have you tried downgrading the firmware?

Did you try to reinstall the firmware and factory resetting the router?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 16
Aspirant

Hi!

I won't be disconnected if QoS is disabled but I get the same issue - namely, that other machines on the network can consume all available bandwidth.

I've not tried downgrading the firmware - I'm not even sure how to do so. I will say that this has been a problem for at least the last revision (possibly the last two); I upgraded firmware from last version because I was getting this issue.

I did try re-installing the firmware and then did a complete factory reset of the router (I saw this recommended on another post). The issue persists.

Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you post a screenshot of the QoS settings?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Sure:QoS.jpg

As you can see, my son's computer (in this case) 'HermitZeToad' is set to lowest QoS priority and is using basically all available bandwidth. My computer 'Beast' meanwhile is set to Highest priority and has basically NO bandwidth.

Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Honestly, it seems as if it prioritized WiFi over wired; so even though the WiFi device is set to Low and the Wired Device is set to High, since Wifi > Wired, Wifi 'low' become > Wired 'Highest'...

Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for the screenshot. Let me check on this and see what else we could try.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you! This is becoming a real nuisance. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi!

Has there been any word of news or a workaround? As I said, this is getting to be a very big nuisance. It's getting to the point that I may have to try to sell this NetGear and go with a different solution.

Thank you,

Kenn

Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I already sent a follow-up email to our engineers regarding your case.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

I really appreciate your effort here. It's just frustrating to be kicked off my Virtual Private Network session to my office when my son decides to start watching YouTube or his Steam connection begins downloading updates. It's especially frustrating because I can't seem to overtly control the QoS by setting up priorities either at the device or software level.

Thank you so much for your continued efforts,

Kenn

Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Star

I'm having the same problem on my X6 R7900 (Firmware Version V1.0.1.26_10.0.23). A "high" priority computer downloading a Windows update is killing the internet for everything else, including the "highest" priority items. My ISP tests at 10.5mbps download, and I have my QoS limit set to 9.8, but the lower priority computer is still given ALL the bandwidth!

Seems like this Netgear QoS function does NOTHING.

Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Star

After spending more time with the settings, it began working as expected, perhaps after a router reboot (which it doesn't do by default when changing QoS settings).

Now, I can see the download speed of the lower priority computer go down when a higher priority computer is running something like a speed test. Oddly, the Amazon Video app on the higher priority iPad still has trouble streaming in this configuration (i.e., while a lower priority computer is downloading at full-bandwidth), but that's not necessarily a problem with the router's QoS.

Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Star

Just for clarity for others reading this thread in the future, in my case, my low-priority wired computer was being given the priority over my higher priority devices (both wired and wireless).

Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

There was a recent update that I was hopeful would fix this issue. However, the issue remains unresolved.

Basically, when my son starts to download from Steam we should basically turn every other computing device off - because he will consume pretty much all bandwidth (even though his device is listed as 'low'); even Netflix degrades. If I have two devices downloading Steam at the same time, they DO seem to share the bandwidth with each other - but every other device is out of luck. I have to assume that NetGear has some kind of partnership with Steam to allocate all bandwidth to it's service.

I will be eschewing NetGear devices in the future and will have to take Case850's advice and get a manual QoS router when I can.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Luminary

This will solve your problems:

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/

DDWRT works perfectly on QOS.

CC

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats