Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Qos Upstream and Downstream greyed out?

phaybein
Follower

Qos Upstream and Downstream greyed out?

Hello,

I have the Nighthawk R7000 and I been trying to enable my Qos but it is greyed out and I can not select anything...any help would be great!

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Message 12 of 17

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi @phaybein,

Welcome to Community!

I would like to ask the following information so that I can best answer your inquir:

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Is the R7000 set on an AP mode or regular router?

3. What web browser did you use to access the UI?

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 17
sc-rc
Initiate

I am having the same problem.  I have the latest firmware.  I just updated it.  I have the system set up as an AP

Message 3 of 17
netwrks
Master

@

@sc-rc wrote:

I am having the same problem.  I have the latest firmware.  I just updated it.  I have the system set up as an AP

Pretty sure that is one of the features disabled / greyed out in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 17
VandenBerg
Aspirant

I have the same issue with the R7000
1) setup as AP
2) firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 
3) Identical results with using Internet Explorer or Chrome

Message 5 of 17
TheEther
Guru

QoS is not available in AP mode.  If you want QoS, then you should apply it at your primary router.

Message 6 of 17
shahril8488
Tutor

dear TheEther,

can you pls explain a bit why QoS is not made avail in AP mode?

and what do you meant by apply it at the primary router?

are'nt we suppose to have that capability in the router (r7800, v1.0.2.28, AP) to manage the traffic? maybe it should made avail i 2 mode - auto and custom
Message 7 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Think of QoS as a cop controlling traffic on the main road into and out of town.  The cop wouldn't be very effective controlling only a subset of all traffic.  An Access Point (AP) is typically not in a position to handle all Internet traffic arriving or leaving your house.  Because of this, QoS is usually not available as an option.

In a home network, it makes the most sense to apply QoS at the router which handles all Internet traffic as it arrives or leaves your house.  Your modem may have a router built into it, in which case, QoS should be enabled there.  If your modem doesn't have a router but you, instead, have a separate router connected directly to the modem, then QoS should be enabled there.

While the R7800 is a router, putting it into AP mode disables many functions, including the firewall, NAT and, of course, QoS.  If you want to use QoS on the R7800, then disable AP mode, but you should connect all devices through it and you should disable all routing functions in all other devices.  Having a single device functioning as a router is recommended for the vast majority of home networks.

Message 8 of 17
shahril8488
Tutor

Hello TheEther,

Sorry for asking you the wrong question. My router is model r7800, in router mode. v1.0.2.28. I have tried to play with many configuration but still I could not get the downstream QoS tabbed appear.

I have selected Advanced->QoS Setup. There are only Quality of Service tabbed and WMM tabbed appeared.

Can you please advice me what to do? is the router broken?

Thank you in advance

Message 9 of 17
TheEther
Guru

I could be mistaken, but I believe the R7800 only supports Dynamic QoS.  There should be a Enable Dyamic QoS check box.  If you don't see it, can you try a different browser?  Can you post a screenshot?

Message 10 of 17
Norvell1984
Aspirant

Is the r7000 suppose to have the QoS upstream and downstream options?
Mine does not... of course I am using firmware version 1.0.7.12_1.2.5

Will a frimware update make the option available or is ti not capable?

If not then does dynamic qos  device priority options work the same way?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi Norvell1984,

The router uses dynamic QoS.

https://kb.netgear.com/25613/How-do-I-enable-Dynamic-QoS-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 12 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi Norvell1984,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 13 of 17
Norvell1984
Aspirant

I am only paying my IPS for 2Mbps which I found out is megabits not megabytes and the Nighthawk is suppose to be able to manage 600 to 1300Mbps which is 75 to 650 megabytes...

Anyways, I have 4 people using the internet :
1 on FaceBook apps 24/7
1 streaming news 24/7
another playing online games
and I use it to find things online to fix problems and occasional YouTube...

Does Dynamic QoS work similar to QoS upstream and downstream?  As I would like Downloading to be above all then streaming then gaming... and seeing how I only have Dynamic or manual Qos I went with manual with high hopes, but I see no improvement..

I use to be able to stream YouTube videos  smoothly with everyone on, but lately the videos reset and only show a big YouTube play button on the video screen area even when trying to play ads, when they do load even at 240p they load as if on dial-up.

Your help was useful, but I am having trouble figuring out if it is my setting on the nighthawk or something to do with my IPS that is causing the lag.

Message 14 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi Norvell1984,

Identify which devices that uses downstream and set them to high priority or check for the applications that use downstream and set it to high and identify the devices or applications that uses upstream and set it to low.

Message 15 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi Norvell1984,

Any update if you still need assistance?

Message 16 of 17
Norvell1984
Aspirant

The reply before yours was helpful as was the other info on other posts. 🙂 Thanks

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7