Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about Netgear RAX120, need an expert to explain this.

KarelSoel
Follower

Question about Netgear RAX120, need an expert to explain this.

So, I looking for a new router with the highest possible WIFI 6 on a single 5Ghz band that has to offer in the market. But most of it is a 4 streams type of router on a single 5Ghz band.

Then I found this Netgear RAX120 has 8 streams on 5Ghz band, unlike ASUS RT-AX88U tri-band that has 4 streams on both 5Ghz bands. So, Netgear RAX120 should have a double speed of ASUS RT-AX88U in a single 5Ghz band.

I thought Netgear RAX120 use chips like Qualcomm QCN5154 that had 8x8:8 for the highest speed on a single 5Ghz band up to 9.6Gbps. But instead, it uses 2 chips of Qualcomm QCN5054 (4x4:4 for 4.8Gbps).

So, how is this possible that they use 2 chips of Qualcomm QCN5054 on a single 5Ghz band but max out only 4.8Gbps like other routers that use single 4x4:4 chip. I can't find the information about this. So, I think the possible way what they're doing...

1. Smart Connect for single 5Ghz band? But why they just don't advertise it a tri-band or 9.6Gbps but 4.8Gbps at a giving client?

2. Maybe they will open up features for a tri-band? But they already released products and label everything as AX6000 router.

3. The benefit of using 8 antennae for the Beamforming???

And then I found that ASUS also releasing the same type of router call RT-AX89X that using 2 chips with 4x4:4 for 4.8Gbps on the single 5Ghz band.

Can anyone explain how this type of setup benefits from any other routers with a single chip with 4x4:4 for 4.8Gbps on the single 5Ghz band?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Question about Netgear RAX120, need an expert to explain this.

You're also getting into channel width and not just antenna.

Take for instance the RAX200. Its a triband. each band is 4x4 antenna. But its 160hz wide for the 5ghz. So its 4800mbps. the RAX120, uses 80hz wide channels. (but can aggregate with a hybrid 80+80 for 160hz wide). 

It starts getting complicated. 

I'd read through this article. 

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6/6E (802.11 n/ac/ax) (duckware.com)

it goes over channel width, qam, etc in a very direct manner that walks you through it so you can understand it. 

Worth reading and can help understand whats going on nicely. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7