× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question about Netgear WNR1000 router

ohanquels
Follower

Question about Netgear WNR1000 router

I got an old WNR1000 laying around and I was wondering if it was possible to use it as a wireless extender for my Netgear Nighthawk router to get a better connection in a different room?

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Question about Netgear WNR1000 router

extender/repeater mode was removed from a lot of netgears products. You can check yours through. 

Log in through the browser and go to advanced--->advanced setup---> wireless repeating (if its there)

If its not, then you'd need to hardwire it in and use it in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Question about Netgear WNR1000 router

@plemans wrote:

extender/repeater mode was removed from a lot of netgears products.

To clarify this, unlike several features, such a free parental controls and some other firmware related functions, extender mode was not "removed" in the sense of firmware updates disabling something that worked when Netgear launched the product.

It is more a case of Netgear not including this feature in new products. So if repeater mode was there originally on a router it will continue to work. But you will have a hard time finding a new router that offers repeater mode (also known as Wireless Distribution System, WDS).

What is a wireless distribution system and how does it work with my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NET...

The technology has moved on with new generations of extenders and Mesh systems with satellites.

Looking at the documentation for the WNR1000, which dates back to 2009, the manual says nothing about supporting WDS. This feature appears to have in the next iteration of that product line, the WNR2000v2.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7