Question about R7500 Firmware update

CTEric
Follower

Question about R7500 Firmware update

Just logged onto my router for the first time in awhile and noted that there is a new firmware available, per below.  I reviewed the release notes and plan on going ahead with this firmware this evening, as I have one of the Android phones affected by the "massive battery drain" (funny, right) caused by this router.  My question is this - I know that we need to hard-reset (5sec+ on reset after applying) - can I backup my settings from current version and restore from a .cfg file or would this be a bad idea cross firmware versions?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

New firmware is found. Do you want to update the firmware?

Current Version:V1.0.0.94
New Version:V1.0.0.108

Current GUI Language Version:V1.0.0.231
New GUI Language Version:V1.0.0.236

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes security issues.
[Bug Fix] Fixes the massive battery drain issue on Android phone when connect to R7500 5GHz wireless network.
Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
William10a
Master

Re: Question about R7500 Firmware update

@CTEric wrote:

Just logged onto my router for the first time in awhile and noted that there is a new firmware available, per below.  I reviewed the release notes and plan on going ahead with this firmware this evening, as I have one of the Android phones affected by the "massive battery drain" (funny, right) caused by this router.  My question is this - I know that we need to hard-reset (5sec+ on reset after applying) - can I backup my settings from current version and restore from a .cfg file or would this be a bad idea cross firmware versions?

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

Current Version:V1.0.0.94
New Version:V1.0.0.108

Current GUI Language Version:V1.0.0.231
New GUI Language Version:V1.0.0.236

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Fixes the massive battery drain issue on Android phone when connect to R7500 5GHz wireless network.

From what you are showing the new firmware said it fixes the battery drain and patches a security issue may be worth a try I know the resetting of the router is on your mind may be worth it if the firmware does what it says.

Not sure if the r7000 offers a option to save and restore tour settings.

Message 2 of 9
Pete_Json
Aspirant

Hi,

I also got a message logging in to my router.
But browsing to the support pages to read more about the update I cant find the new software.

Why??

/Pete

Message 3 of 9
William10a
Master

This too the above poster Pete.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7500.aspx#download is the newest firmware for the R7500 which your model number from the postings router model number you said you have. You may have it already on the router check which version of the firmware you have.

Message 4 of 9
Pete_Json
Aspirant

Hi,

Yes that is the version I have installed. 1.0.0.110.

When logging in to my router it says there is a newer version 1.0.0.231

Sorry for the Swedish, but I guess you know what it says.

Aktuell version:V1.0.0.108
Ny version av fast programvara:V1.0.0.110

Aktuell version av språk för användargränssnittet:V1.0.0.231
Ny version av språk för användargränssnittet:V1.0.0.236

Release Notes:
Message 5 of 9
Pete_Json
Aspirant

Hi, nvm I saw it myself. LOL
Sorry and thanks for quick reply.

Thought the language file was the new firmware.

Message 6 of 9
William10a
Master

I'm not sure about the firmware version V1.0.0.231 it may be a beta test firmware for your country and if so Netgear would let you have it as beta software may be full of bugs only see the V1.0.0.110 version on their web site and other web sites seems not too have information about either.

Message 7 of 9
GordonNorris
Aspirant

Did anyone else have trouble downloading the GUI file that went with the latest firmware update. Every time I tried to do the update after logging into the my router and using the update button on the top of the Advanced page, the download failed.  On the last attempt to download the GUI file somehow my WiFi got turned off. I should not find anywhere in any of the page while logged onto the router to get it turned off. I call NETGEAR support, and since my 90 days after buying the router were long over, I had to spend $89.99 to get the firmware update manuly loaded. Had to power the router off and back on get it back, and then was told to push 2 buttons on the router to get the WiFi to turn back on. So I spent $90 to be told to push 2 buttons(which are not labeled). I really wonder what was going on.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
William10a
Master

I guess I,m old fashion I like to download the new fireware on the computer and update over a wired network by manual seems to better for me really never fullly trused the automatic download and install process too much out of your control.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E