kiet510
Aspirant

Question about comcast modem and my router (200 mpbs) download speed.

Hello everybody,

I have a question and confused about a few things...I got comcast hooked up today at my uncle's house, and when I stand next to the modem, connect to the 2.4g wifi, it feels slow, and of course it should!... test speed , I got around 50-70 mpbs download speed. I connected to the 5ghz wifi option and the speed was very fast... getting around 230 mpbs download speed. My room is couple doors down from where the modem is located.. I had them run a hard ethernet wire directly from the modem into my room because I can't stand slow wifi speeds.. great, so I got this router and hooked it up to my room, acts as a second router just for my room alone.. I plug in all of my ethernet cables, and did a speed test on my computer, I'm only getting 50-70 mpbs.. I'm trying to get the 230mpbs when I was connected to the 5g wifi. Am I missing something here? It seems like my even though I have a ethernet cord connected from the modem directly to my router, I'm getting 2.4ghz speeds.. is there some kind of setting in eiher comcast modem/router page or netgear routerlogin.com page I can configure so I am getting 5ghz speeds through my ethernet cable? Sorry i'm not very experience when it comes to router' talk.. 

Thanks..

Kiet

Model: R8900|Nighthawk X10—AD7000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
William10a
Master

Re: Question about comcast modem and my router (200 mpbs) download speed.

Does the modem have a router build into it?

Which model modem do you have?

Sounds like a modem/router in one if you canplug more then one router into it.

Possable bad lan cable from the modem to your room did you check the internet speed coming from the lan cable you ran before it enters the router?

If you have two routers which maybe the case place the netgear into a access point mode that would give you a wifi and wired port connection.

while the other modem/router handles all the ip addresses and routing task should be able to set the ssid of the netgear router different from main router.

Also turn qos and traffic monitoring off this may help.

Message 2 of 6
kiet510
Aspirant

Hello,
Comcast modem / router..
Cisco DPC3941T.
I have it connected as router mode in routerlogin.com. I notice when I change it to ap mode, the internet Wi-Fi drops like crazy and if I recall trying a speed test, I get very low speeds like less then a mpb.. I change it back to router mode and it works normal just not as fast.. I connect to netgear on 5g Wi-Fi on my galaxy note8 and get like 60 mbps download speed. When I connect directly to 5g Wi-Fi of Comcast modem standing next to it, I get like 230 mbps speeds.. not sure what's going on..
Message 3 of 6

You could try putting your Cisco DPC3941T into bridge mode.

Solved: how do I connect to DPC3941T gateway in bridge mod... - Xfinity Help and Support Forums

That would put the R8900 in charge of the network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 6
2pfspiff
Guide

Try going back to Ap mode on the netgear routerand disconnect it from the comcast gateway.   Then reboot the comcast modem and reconnect the Netgear router after the comcast gateway goes through its reboot cycle.  

Message 5 of 6
William10a
Master

Do you have a laptop with a lan port on it if so please take the lan cable from the isp modem/router and unplug the netgear router from it and the free end into the laptop. Try a speed test on that connection point it should around your 200mbs you pay for, if not the say you get a 100 mbs or less the problemat the modem/router or the lan cable.

Is the netgear router showing a 100mb or 1gb connection on the router?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements