Question about pings over time

Chillburger
Aspirant

Question about pings over time

I've been noticing lately that we've been getting higher pings about every two days or so. I reset our R7000 and the pings seem to revert to normal for a few days. Is there any specific setting that could be causing this degradation? This is on a wired connection.
Message 1 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Question about pings over time

QOS is off?
Message 2 of 5
fordem
Mentor

Without knowing what you're pinging and where you're pinging it from there can be no definitive response. It's my opinion that the average person places far too much importance on ping response times - ping is a diagnostic tool intended to verify that connectivity has been achieved - in other words, a response or a time out - the time it takes to respond can be influenced by so many factors that it is not a particularly accurate indicator of anything. Let me give you an example - I use managed switches in my network - I can sit at my desktop and ping my servers and they will invariably respond with "sub-millisecond" times - in between my desktop and the servers are two switches that the ping requests & responses must pass through - pinging either of those switches (from the desktop) will ALWAYS result in a response exceeding 1ms and sometimes as long as 4 or 5 ms. How can a ping request to the server come back in less time than one to the nearest switch, given the fact that the request to the server has more cable and two switches to pass through? Is this cause for concern? NO and NO - the ping does not time out and the response times are within a reasonable expectation - the challenge lies in knowing what constitutes a reasonable expectation, and that can be determined without knowledge of what path the request & the response must transit. I've watched network engineers with some of the largest private networks in the world try to troubleshoot connectivity issues and almost pull their hair out over what they perceive as unreasonably long ping response times, all the while ignoring the fact that the signal is transiting a satellite link. To paraphrase Samuel Jackson - what's your ping transiting?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 3 of 5
Chillburger
Aspirant

It's been noticable mostly in online games. Randomly my ping skyrockets to around 200-300 and my whole connection starts getting laggy. Restarting the router then gets me back to regular speeds, but I don't really know why it would keep happening like this.
Message 4 of 5
RogerSC
Virtuoso

Which firmware version are you using?

Did you do a factory reset and manually re-enter your configuration settings after your last upgrade?

Have you looked for computer or laptop upgraded wireless network interface drivers?

When ping times are that high intermittently, I would first suspect the one or more of the above possibilities.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E