Questions Setting Up my Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router R6700

cirrsplat
Aspirant

Questions Setting Up my Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router R6700

Hi all,

I would appreciate some help with setting up my router. I have Verizon Fios router in my basement and ran an ethernet cable upstairs. What I would like is to connect my entertainment devices (tv, PS4, Apple TV, etc) directly to Fios router but I would also like to boost the wifi coverage of the Fio Router.

I bought the Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router R6700, having no idea how I would do this.

When I first set it up, I plugged to ethernet cable upstairs into the Nighthark. I logged into routerlogin.com but instead of password as the password, I put in the password of the wifi network listed on the router itself.

I got in and the Genie that guides me through set up doesn't seem to give me a lot of options. It basically gives me the options of setting up as a router or access point. There is no Advance option.

Does anyone have experience setting up their router to achieve what I would like to achieve?

Thanks in advance!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
netwrks
Master

Re: Questions Setting Up my Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router R6700

I think I understand what you are looking for.. It sounds like you want to expand wireless coverage in your home.

If you do, check out the manual - Page 123, use the router as an access point. . Don't put password as a wrieless passphrase use a strong wifi passphrase. Change admin password - Page 132. 

-------

Disconnect the router from your FIos box. (unplug ethernet from port on 6700).

Use a laptop with an Ethernet cable and connect to one of the LAN ports on the 6700.

Connect to the router using a browser: - ip address: 192.168.1.1 (don't use the geneie app on a phone or desktop. It's a waste of time and energy).

default is admin (user) and password (password). If you can't authenticate to the 6700, reset the 6700 to facotry default (in manual).

Then follow from the manual and pages I identified. Once you're done, plug the r6700 back to the Fios box. If you need more Ethernet ports on the Fios, buy an unmanaged gig switch. An unmanged switch will use one LAN port from the fios, then you can plug in extra devices on to your switch/ An inexpensive, and useful addition to your network.

Post back with an update.

Message 2 of 5
cirrsplat
Aspirant

Thanks so much for trying to help me! I was trying to actually set up the router as a repeater. After failing to do so, I saw that the manual was for R6700 and my router is a R6700v2. I found the R6700v2 manual and there are no instructions on setting it up as a repeater and the R6700 instructions did not fit the options I was getting when I logged into the router.

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi cirrsplat,

The R6700 does not have wireless repeating function. You can set it up as an Access point(running a long cable from the Fios router). When router is set to AP mode, it will have its own wireless network.

https://kb.netgear.com/23784/I-m-setting-up-my-NETGEAR-router-for-the-first-time-how-do-I-set-it-to-...

Message 4 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi cirrsplat,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E