Re: Questions about R7000/D7000

spicnspan7
Aspirant

Questions about R7000/D7000

Hi everyone, I'm new here to the forum and I'm thinking to buy R7000 router.  I will be having fiber connection in 2 weeks time, BT infinity to be specific.  I just recently bought hg612 Openreach modem and just unlocked it.  I am really tempted to buy R7000 router but I have read many negative reviews about it.  I would like to know several things and I would really appreciate if someone could answer my queries.

- How good is the QoS function? I got loads of devices and I wanted a router to have excellent QoS feature.  I've tried Tp-Link VR600 and QoS is very limited plus there's an issue in assigning static IP.

-Is hg612 modem good for this router? or Will be better with D7000?

-Will I be able to see the line stats from hg612 on the UI of this router? In billion router, line stats don't show up as the line is sync to the modem (hg612).

-What's the difference between R7000 v1 and v2

-Are issues have been resolved for both the R7000 and D7000?  I read several firmware issues, connection, and wifi problems.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8

-What's the difference between R7000 v1 and v2

There is no R7000v2. Perhaps you mean R7000P.

The main difference between those is that the R7000P has an Intel chipset whereas the other has Broadcom.

-Are issues have been resolved for both the R7000 and D7000?  I read several firmware issues, connection, and wifi problems.

Read the various long discussions about these for the latest news. All have had new firmware in recent days.

I just recently bought hg612 Openreach modem and just unlocked it.  

Everyone to his own. It is hard to get Infinity – which is not really fibre so much as FTTC – without a "free" Homehub. Some people use that as a front end for a router. I have a D6400 (in modem mode) feeding an R7000P.

The D7000 would be a single-box solution.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

wrote:

The main difference between those is that the R7000P has an Intel chipset whereas the other has Broadcom. 

Hi Michael, As per the WikiDev the R7000P is all BCM based, BCM4708C0, ARM Cortex A9, 1 GHz; and two BCM WLAN chips. No Inhell inside.

Message 3 of 8

Interesting. Is there a link to confirm these details?

It was an earlier message here – actually several of them – that said "Intel". (I didn't know that it made comms chips.) ARM makes more sense.

The fact that Netgear doesn't tell us who is "inside" its hardware means that we are left picking up rumours here.

I suppose I could dismantle the R7000P in front of me, but I can't guarantee that it would go back together again.

Does that also apply to the D7000v2, also rumoured to be Intel inside? Or is that an othetr urban myth?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 8
spicnspan7
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies guys.  BTW what does the chipset do in router/modem.  I was told that the chipset does something to hold the connection from outside. I've been using Billion 7800dxl which uses Broadcom chipset. It's been really good in handling my internet connection considering I'm too far away from the exchange(I have 50 line attenuation ).  If the R7000 has bradcom chipset does it mean the line/internet connection is syncing with router and not the modem? Am I right that using separate modem will only let separate router to work in bridge mode and the actual line is connected on modem? If it is, the R7000 wont show the line stats on its' interface.  This is happening in my current setup having hg612 as modem and then billion as router. 

Message 5 of 8

wrote:

Thanks for the replies guys.  BTW what does the chipset do in router/modem.  

In effect is it is the router/modem. It does all the processing.

wrote:

If the R7000 has bradcom chipset does it mean the line/internet connection is syncing with router and not the modem?

The modem connects to the Internet and the router gets it from the  modem.

What line stats do you have in mind?

Just another user.

Message 6 of 8
spicnspan7
Aspirant

Line stats such as the SNR margin, downstream and upstream, line attenuation, etc.  When I'm using the hg612 modem and the billion router in bridge mode, I could not access all those line stats through Billion user interface.  The only way I could see it is to go to the Interface of the hg612.  So if I use R7000 as a router on hg612 modem, will I be able to see the line stats in R7000 interface?   If that's the case, It would be better to get the D7000 (which apparently has more negative reviews). Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi spicnspan7,

Line stats are only available on modems. The only stats you can see on the router are the ports status. Please refer below.

https://kb.netgear.com/24222/How-do-I-display-Internet-port-statistics-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements