Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Questions about using network shares & security

Donth
Aspirant

Questions about using network shares & security

I wanted to use my R7800 as a cheap backup solution until I can afford a dedicated NAS.

I have a couple quick questions:
Are port multipliers supported for raid 1?
Have uPnP security bugs been patched?
Has SMB v1 been disabled? I don't want to be a wanna cry victim

It's not a big deal if they aren't fixed. I consider the backup software a bonus and not a critical feature. But I don't want to spend the money if they are vulnerable.
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Donth
Aspirant

Thanks guys. After reviewing the other links it's apparent the routers Linux does not support standard port enumeration. If it doesn't work for usb it won't work for eSATA-hybrid which is a fancier USB port.

In theory whenever you plug in a USB device there's a set enumeration of values that explain what the device is to the host. This is similar to how a Bluetooth device recognizes it's a speaker or a mic/headset/keyboard.

This is why you don't need a custom driver Everytime you plug in a new usb keyboard or mouse or USB mem stick.

Well there's a standard enumeration for storage devices and if they stayed current to the spec enumerating the port would have been supported.

It's not a big deal. I'll just backup another way with redundant fallover until I can afford a real NAS with Plex support.

I still think it's an awesome router. Way better than my linksys, even with the limitations.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies

@Donth wrote:
I wanted to use my R7800 as a cheap backup solution until I can afford a dedicated NAS.

Is the plan to use USB drives attached with ReadyShare?

That's a pretty primitive "NAS" solution.

Message 2 of 8
Donth
Aspirant

That's the plan.  Use Readyshare to run backups and hold mpg movies.  

It is a primitive solution, but if I can get RAID1 to work, I'm good to go until I can spend $1000 for a proper NAS this fall.

Message 3 of 8

@Donth wrote:

That's the plan.  Use Readyshare to run backups and hold mpg movies.  

It is a primitive solution, but if I can get RAID1 to work...

Unlikely. Readyshare just tackles USB drives, and not very well at that. Raid? Some hopes.

This is not the same issue, but it might enlighten you on the limits of ReadyShare.

R6120 ReadyShare not detecting all Drives - NETGEAR Communities

I paid a heck of a lot less for my NAS boxes, which may explain why I have four of them. Of course, I had to buy the drives too, but that is also a part of the USB thing.

If you do decide on USB, this list will give you some clues, although it is far from comprehensive:

ReadySHARE USB Drives Compatibility List | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It is out of date, but it will reveal how limited Readyshare can be. Big drives? Forget it.

Message 4 of 8
Donth
Aspirant

I wouldn't expect the 7800 itself to handle raid

I was going to use a vantec external esata/usb3 dual drive enclosure with two 4TB in RAID1. If it recognizes the RAID1 I'm good. It's kind of silly to make something a backup if there is no failsafe drive.

And the notes on firmware updates don't mention the specific fix. uPnP needed to be fixed. And smb1 needed disabled or fixed to protect against wannacry and the like.

This fall I'll upgrade to three drive raid 5 using a dedicated NAS and as a Plex server.
Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Donthwrote:
I was going to use a vantec external esata/usb3 dual drive enclosure with two 4TB in RAID1. If it recognizes the RAID1 I'm good. It's kind of silly to make something a backup if there is no failsafe drive. ...And the notes on firmware updates don't mention the specific fix. uPnP needed to be fixed.

Unlikely. Most multi-drive USB expansion boxes are recognized as individual drives by Linux systems, very few appear as a single logical drive in enclosure RAID controller modes. 

@Donth wrote:
And smb1 needed disabled or fixed to protect against wannacry and the like.

The R7800 has got SMBv3 support since R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.36 - and most likely a SAMBA update at the same time - so one might assume it's a version no longer vulnerable in place. Does ReadySHARE not offer a protocol selection so SMB 1.0 can be disabled?

Edit: This is what I had in mind (different model here):

ReadySHARE Advanced Settings - SMB protocol controls.PNG

Message 6 of 8

@Donth wrote:
I wouldn't expect the 7800 itself to handle raid

I was going to use a vantec external esata/usb3 dual drive enclosure with two 4TB in RAID1. If it recognizes the RAID1 I'm good. It's kind of silly to make something a backup if there is no failsafe drive.

That sounds suspiciously like the scenario in the message I linked to.

As @schumaku confirms in that discussion Windows can handle those dual-drive USB3 enclosures because it is built into the operating system. ReadyShare isn't up to that.

Maybe eSata would work. I'd have to reconnect my R7800 to try that.

Another wrinkle is that USB3 raises more issues here than USB2.

You have two USB ports on the R7800. If the objective is to backup things, maybe a scenario that does duplicate backups to each drive would work. The R7800 will see them as independent drives, but you could work out a way to create duplicate backups, if that is the goal.

Just pick USB drives that work with ReadyShare!

Message 7 of 8
Donth
Aspirant

Thanks guys. After reviewing the other links it's apparent the routers Linux does not support standard port enumeration. If it doesn't work for usb it won't work for eSATA-hybrid which is a fancier USB port.

In theory whenever you plug in a USB device there's a set enumeration of values that explain what the device is to the host. This is similar to how a Bluetooth device recognizes it's a speaker or a mic/headset/keyboard.

This is why you don't need a custom driver Everytime you plug in a new usb keyboard or mouse or USB mem stick.

Well there's a standard enumeration for storage devices and if they stayed current to the spec enumerating the port would have been supported.

It's not a big deal. I'll just backup another way with redundant fallover until I can afford a real NAS with Plex support.

I still think it's an awesome router. Way better than my linksys, even with the limitations.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7