Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R1900 wi-fi intermittent

Jeff_L
Follower

R1900 wi-fi intermittent

Group, I am needing some help. I have a R7000/AC1900 Nighthawk that recently (last few weeks) is intermittently having wi-fi connectivity issues.  This issue also seems to be around the same time my ISP changed my internet speed from 300 to 500, and suggested I go from a DOCSIS 3.0 to DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.  I decided to keep the DOCSIS 3.0 as they stated on the phone that I only need to go to a 3.1 if I upgraded to the 1Gb internet speeds.

I have three devices (a desktop, a printer & a fire-stick) hardwired and five devices (a desktop, a laptop, two cellphones & a smart thermostat) wirelessly connected to my router.  I have noticed the items that are connected via wi-fi to have very intermittent connection issues.  The cellphones will say "weak wi-fi signal" then drop it to mobile data.  The laptop and desktop show that they are connected to the wi-fi but it says "connected, no internet" on the status bar.  According to the router admin page, I was running the "latest" (1.0.10.92) firmware.  Today, I noticed the firmware wasnt the most recent, which I also updated to 1.0.11.116_10.2.100.  As this router is at least 2-3 yrs old (honestly dont remember exactly when I purchased it), should I just call it and replace the router or is there a fix that I can try?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: R1900 wi-fi intermittent

there's a couple things you can try. 1

1. do a factory reset and clean install of the router. By clean I mean don't use a backup configuration. The R7000 got quite a few firmware changes in those versions and has responded favorable to factory reset/clean install. 

2. Downgrade. The firmware on that router has had issues with numerous people. The agreed upon stable version is 1.0.9.42

If you downgrade to it, do it over a hardwired connection, then factory reset, then do the clean install

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7