R6020 Can't log in

Otter-Insanity
Follower

R6020 Can't log in

I had NightHawk setup about a year ago and used it to keep track of my network. For some reason NightHawk decided to log itself out of my phone and no longer trusted it. My phone is the trusted device but NoghtHawk seems to have forgotten that. I managed to convince it to trust my device again. Now it has logged me out and wants my passowrd. Probelem is, I can't for the life of me figure out what I put. So I tried to recoveer my Password by going to routerlogin.com. I entered my Serial Number and it wants me to answer some security question. one of the is "What is your sister's name?" I don't have a sister and don't know what to do. Netgear reccomends factory resetting the router, which I really...really don't want to do. It wants me to stick a pin into a small hole on the router. I have looked all over the router and there is no small hole on it. I just want to update my password on my Network but NightHawk decided to stop trusting me and now I am getting really annoyed. What can I do?

Model: R6020|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: R6020 Can't log in

@Otter-Insanity wrote:

So I tried to recoveer my Password by going to routerlogin.com. I entered my Serial Number and it wants me to answer some security question. one of the is "What is your sister's name?" I don't have a sister and don't know what to do.

There is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has not way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
hwall62
Aspirant

Been there done that
Message 3 of 4

And the reset? The manual tells you how to do that.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

Read the section Return the Router to Its Factory Default Settings.

It is a simple task.

By the way, this is a pretty basic router.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. This may not matter to you, but be warned that it will hobble you if you ever sign up for faster Internet. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements