Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6020 Router causing errors at Canada Revenue Website

McBob
Aspirant

R6020 Router causing errors at Canada Revenue Website

Sometime in Septeber 2020 something, possibly a firmware upgrade messed something up that made it so that attempting just to access the secure login page for the Canada Revenue Agency website ( Canada Revenue Agency - Canada.ca ). It jumps to an error page that multiple Canada Revenue Support Personnel have insisted isn't one of theirs (despite having their logo at the top of the page). Since reaching a service agent there involves at least 1½ hours on hold, I turned to my ISP for help. I purchased my Router to use their survice. Under their direction, I factory reset the router, but that didn't resolve the issue. I tired bypassing the router and connecting my modem directly to the computer, I could access the secure login page just fine, so it's some sort of problem with the router istelf that pressing the reset button doesn't fix.

Much to my dismay, Netgear doesn't offer anything approaching a decent length of warantee without puchasing a separate waranty package (something I cannot afford for a multitude of reasons), I can't get Netgear to replace the router for me.;

Have there been any other problems with accessing the secure part of other government websites through a Netgear R6020 routers since September 2020? If so, are there any known fixes for this?

Model: R6020|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6020 Router causing errors at Canada Revenue Website

I don't have an R6020 but most routers have some capability to disable auto update. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

Again, not sure if this applies to that specific device as it isn't in the listed devices (not all are).

You can follow the manual firmware upgrade process and just use ther older firmware. (page 91 of manual)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6020

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try using a different dns provider. 

Try googles at 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

or cloudfare at 1.1.1.1

What modem do you have?

Message 2 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

The google DNS provider causes the same problems, and while using cloudflare actually did allow me to access the login page, the page wouldn't accept my correct credentials, and clicking the link to reset my password gave me a message that my password couldn't be reset for sercurity reasons (no more explanation than that).

My modem is the Technicolor TC4350

This is going through a Wired Connection, but oddly enough, using the Cloudflare app on my mobile phone does let me access and log in normally, as does accessing the site by mobile data instead of using WiFi

As I mentioned in my original post, connecting my modem directly to my computer allowed me to access the login page at Canada Revenue without getting the error page, marking the Router as the problem, and since I did a factory reset and the problem is still there, it strikes me that it's either an issue with the Firmware Upgrades since Sept 2020, or an issue with the hardware itself.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a different pc?

Makes me suspicious when its able to load using a different dns provider.  

Are you using any parental controls, ad blocking, pi-hole? 

Message 4 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

My Lap[top can't reach the login page without being blocked by the same error page connecting over WiFi.

I'm not using any of the above, and I can't access it using a different DNS server.

The point is that connecting my modem directly to the computer lets me access the secure area of the Canada Revenue Page. Going through my Router, even after a Factory Reset of the Router doesn't let me access the secure area of the Canada Revenue Page.

Ergo, logic tells us the Router is the problem.

Additionally, this issue didn't appear until Sept 2020, and since the first thing the Router does after being reset is to automatically download firmware updates, the only logical conclusion is that the Firmware Update in Sept. 2020 caused the problem, and subsequent firmware updates have failed to solve the issue.

Believe me; I'm not just a layman making uninformed complaints; I've been trying to fix this issue for months. I wish it was a simple issue that could be resolved by changing DNS Servers/Compilers.

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

so downgrade the firmware and disable auto-updates if you think it was an update that borked it. 

Message 6 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

Alas, I have been able to learn how to actually do that

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

@McBob wrote:

Alas, I have been able to learn how to actually do that

so you were able to downgrade? did it fix it? 

Message 8 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

I should say I Haven't been able to figure out how to do that. I have the previous version of the firmware downloaded, as well as a fresh version of the current version in case my router somehow managed to download a corrupted version of the Firmware Upgrade, but without being able to disable automatic update, I'll basically be spitting into the fan, so to speak.

Message 9 of 15
plemans
Guru

I don't have an R6020 but most routers have some capability to disable auto update. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

Again, not sure if this applies to that specific device as it isn't in the listed devices (not all are).

You can follow the manual firmware upgrade process and just use ther older firmware. (page 91 of manual)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6020

Message 10 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

Okay, this is still an issue with Firmware 1.0.0.42, 1.0.0.44 and 1.0.0.48. I've got 1.0.0.38 downloaded and will try it today, but at this point, it's really starting to point towards some sort of hardware issue with the Router, and with NetGear's extremely short and stingy Warranty, it seems unlikely they're going to replace it for me, forcing me to buy a new one, and hope it doesn't have the same problem.

I have to say I am very, very down on the NetGear brand right now as a result.

Message 11 of 15
plemans
Guru

1.0.0.42 was released 8/2019

If this issue just started over the last few months then it likely not related to the firmware. 

Message 12 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

Then it's a hardware issue, because I don't have this issue when I plug my modem directly into my computer, which brings me back to the issue that NetGear has a mere 3-month Replacement Warranty until you buy an additional package (funny; other manufacturers don't do that. They give you a min. 2-year Warranyu with an option to buy a 3 year instead), and even then, the website won't load the page to request a replacement; it just keeps endlessly loading with no results, even with different browsers and with both Firefox and Chrome in Safe Mode (all addons and custom settings disabled)

The whole reason I brought this issue to the Community Help was because NetGear themselves seem to be "closed for business" online.

Message 13 of 15
plemans
Guru

@McBob wrote:

Then it's a hardware issue, because I don't have this issue when I plug my modem directly into my computer,----which would use a different dns server and not the isp assigned server. Which you've already admitting switching dns servers changes how the page appears. But its "gotta be a hardare failure". Ok, then go through support for replacement. Or buy a new one since those routers are pretty much the most basic AC router you can buy. Usually going for around $20 on amazon. 

Message 14 of 15
McBob
Aspirant

As I said, I've tried different DNS Compilers; none of them produce any different result. Only bypassing the router completely by either connecting my modem directly to the computer, or accessing the site on my phone with my mobile data on and WiFi deactivated.

So yes, a hardware failure is the only logical explaination, especially since before Sept 2020, I was able to access the Canada Revenue Secure areas just fine going through the router, indicating that something changed after August this year, and since Revenue Canada has clearly said that they've made no new access or security changes on the site in that time, and there have been no changes to my OS or fundamental changes to the web browser I use (also highlighted by the fact that I tired multiple browsers, including each in Safe Mode without any success, the failure or malfunction of at least one component in the rounter, associating with accessing highly-encrypted sites. And, since I've had it for a mere two years, I would think this should be a Consumer Alert issue to share with other users or would-be users for the NetGear R6020 Multiband Rounter.

And, as I've said, despite trying multiple browswers, with and without addons and customizations, the Replace a Product page simply never loads for me, making it impossible to actually request a replacement. Once I select my registered product (R6020 Router), I get an endless "loading" graphic that never ends or resolves.

So, I will definitely be looking at a differnt company for a replacement router, as NetGear doesn't seem to care enough about customers to be accessible to them.

Thank-you for all the help you've given. It's 100% more than the help I got from NetGear, though.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7