Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6230 - Won't grant access to login screen

vjames84
Tutor

R6230 - Won't grant access to login screen

Greetings.   I've been reading through the community posts but really haven't seen the definitive answer for this.  I have an AC1200 (R6230).  I had a lot of grief even getting into it the first time using a cable from my laptop to the router with nothing else hooked up, all it wanted to tell me was I didn't have an internet connection which should be irrelevant if I'm trying to get into the settings but it finally did let me in.   I disabled DHCP and set it up to be an Access Point, getting an IP Address via my regular DHCP server,  cycled the power, and that piece worked fine.   I can see it active in the devices table on my regular router, I can ping it, and all of my devices can connect to the internet through it.   GREAT!   Now I want to log back in, assign it a static IP and change the SSID and Password - no luck logging in!  I keep getting the "You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network."  error message despite the fact that I"m surfing the internet through it and can ping it.   I have to confess that this is the first network device I've owned that gave me so much grief when trying to connect via an IP Address and am hoping somebody in the community has a better solution than resetting it and starting over - considering how much grief it gave me the first time and that it's still only a week old, I think I might return it for another brand if that was the case.

Thank-you so much for any help/advice you can provide.

Vaughn

Model: R6230|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
vjames84
Tutor

Solved!  I was haviing some electrical work done on my house and had to take my entire network down including my main router.   When I brought everything back up I tried accessing the AP via IP Address that the router had assigned it and it worked like a charm - launch web browser, enter IP address, and taken directly to the AP login screen.   Working now from any other computer on my network so despite the fact that I could see the AP in my routers device table and could ping it, somehow hitting it via http wasn't working until the router reboot.  Anyway, if anyone else is having the same issue it might be worth rebooting your router/dhcp server.   

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] I disabled DHCP and set it up to be an Access Point, getting an
> IP Address via my regular DHCP server, [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Use the
Router as a WiFi Access Point".  That mode change automatically disables
the DHCP server in the R6230; there's no neeed for you to do anything
about it explicitly.

And you connected it how, exactly, to what, exactly?  (Hint: If a
device has different types of Ethernet ports, then "connected to device"
is not enough detail.)

What is your (unspecified) "my regular DHCP server"?  Is it part of
your (unspecified) "my regular router"?

> [...] Now I want to log back in, assign it a static IP and change the
> SSID and Password - no luck logging in!

"logging in" how, exactly, from what, connected how, to what?

> [...] I keep getting the "You may not be connected to your Router's
> WiFi network." error message [...]

When you do _what_, exactly?

Welcome to what may be the worst error message in the world.  For an
explanation, try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1365830

Briefly, the idea is that "[www.]routerlogin.net" (or ".com") should
point to your own router, but that's true only if you use your own
router for DNS name resolution.  (Or, if the Netgear router can
intercept your DNS queries.)  Regardless, you should be able to get to
the thing using its IP address, if you can determine (or guess) that.
Normally, that would be something like "192.168.1.1" (for a plain
router) or "192.168.0.1" (for a modem+router), but it could be
different.  ("10.0.0.1" is a typical alternate, for example.)

A new complication arises if your web browser uses "DNS over HTTPS"
(and some real-world DNS server directly).  In that case, those
"routerlogin" names will typically take you to that misleading/useless
Netgear error page.  Specifying the IP address (instead of a
"routerlogin" name) should work, but there are some exotic cases where
you might need to disable "DNS over HTTPS" in your browser.

In the case of a wireless access point, if the client device with the
web browser is connected directly to the router-as-WAP, then the
router-as-WAP might be able to intercept a "routerlogin" name, and get
the browser connected to itself, but using the new LAN IP address of the
router-as-WAP would be more reliable.

Back to "assign it a static IP [address]"...

Terminology: A "static" address is configured on the device itself.
What you configure on a (DHCP server on a) router is a reserved dynamic
address, not a static address.  Either one should fix the address of a
device, but some implications are different.

I'd suggest leaving the router-as-WAP in its default mode ("Get
dynamically from existing router"), and reserving an address for it in
(the DHCP server in) your (unspecified) "my regular router".

> [...] this is the first network device I've owned that gave me so much
> grief [...]

How many WAPs have you configured before?

Message 2 of 8
vjames84
Tutor

Thank-you for the quick reply although I can't tell if you are being a little snarky at times.   This is my second WAP but I've added dozens of routers and network print servers.    I'll try  to address you question.

My regular DHCP serves is an Arris Cable Modem/Router combination for Comcast.  When I enter it's IP Address in my web browser I am taken directly to a login screen for the management console. This is the only 'router' on my network at the present time.

The device table on this Arris router shows me the new Netgear device, I am idenfying it by MAC address in the table.   I can ping this address successfully from any computer on my network.  

When I try to connect to the Netgear I am using a web browser and the IP address from the device table on the Arris router.  I have never had a network manageable device that didn't take me to the management login when doing this unless there were additional changes made to the network to prevent it.  That has not be consciously done in this case.  

As I said, when I first unpacked and set up the Netgear, with no internet connection and wifi turned off, I connected to it with a network cable from my laptop that I rebooted to get an IP from the Netgear and it still took multiple tries before it took me to admin login rather than giving that error message noted in my original post.  Again, this makes no sense to me;  it seems obvious that I want to connect TO the device, not THROUGH the device.  And not having an active internet connection should not matter as I'm trying to talk to the device directly, using the default logins suggested in the manual.  (yes, I have read it, at least the sections that were pertinant to what I'm trying to accomplish.)

So, back to my original question:  I have an active Netgear Wireless Access Point, it's working fine in that role but there doesn't seem to be any way to get back into the Management screens when using a Web Browser and using the IP Address assigned to it.   Any suggestions on how this can be corrected?   Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do?  I saw one other post for a different model where the user performed a complete reset and then a firmware upgrade and the problem went away.  If others have had that work with this unit I'd be willing to give it a try.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8

@vjames84 wrote:

I have an active Netgear Wireless Access Point...

Is this the R6230 and is it configured in wireless access point mode?

Message 4 of 8
vjames84
Tutor

Yes.

Message 5 of 8

Can you track down the IP address of the AP? Perhaps through its SSID and wifi?

It really should let you access the GUI if you aim a browser at it.

But I got lost in the, to my mind, misleading stuff about playing with Mac addresses and DHCP. None of that should be necessary.

Message 6 of 8
vjames84
Tutor

Solved!  I was haviing some electrical work done on my house and had to take my entire network down including my main router.   When I brought everything back up I tried accessing the AP via IP Address that the router had assigned it and it worked like a charm - launch web browser, enter IP address, and taken directly to the AP login screen.   Working now from any other computer on my network so despite the fact that I could see the AP in my routers device table and could ping it, somehow hitting it via http wasn't working until the router reboot.  Anyway, if anyone else is having the same issue it might be worth rebooting your router/dhcp server.   

Message 7 of 8

@vjames84 wrote:

When I brought everything back up I tried accessing the AP via IP Address that the router had assigned it and it worked like a charm - launch web browser, enter IP address, and taken directly to the AP login screen.  

Ah, that one.The old "restart" routine.

When you hit a brick wall like that, be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Silly of me not to suggest it early on. The trouble is that the symptoms can be confusing.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7