Highlighted
Aspirant

R6260 - AC1600 Will not allow Nintendo Switch

Hello. For the past two years, I've been trying to connect my Nintendo Switch to the internet for online play. Every attempt has failed. While it's technically connected in that it can still access the digital software store and receive updates, playing anything with another user is all but impossible. On the Switch's Internet settings, the NAT Type is listed as "F", and every attempt to change it has been unsuccessful, despite trying to port-forward and create DMZs, which is the solution usually suggested for this issue. I even have factory-resetted the router in question and tried again at one point, but that didn't help.

Because nothing I did with the router worked, I was forced to assume that the problem was my modem instead, but there's nothing I can do with the modem (AT&T Motorola 3360). I would replace it if I could, but I can't. So I was forced to try the router again.

Here is the page listing Nintendo's instructions on setting up port forwarding , but it didn't help.

The first roadblock I ran into: I need to open ports 0-65535. When I try to set up that service, I'm warned that the starting address must be higher than 0.

I tried to change the "0" to a "1", but then I got the warning that the starting address must be lower than 65535 (?). Suspecting a wording error, I tried to change the ending port to 65534, and was then told that the ports in that range are currently in use.

I tried to do these things using both wireless access points on the router. Both had identical results.

Important to note is that I do not have this issue with the Nintendo Wii U or Nintendo 3DS.

If you can help me find a way around this problem, I would appreciate it. Thank you. 

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

Re: R6260 - AC1600 Will not allow Nintendo Switch

is this your modem?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845335-REG/Motorola_581211_003_00_3360_AT_T_DSL_MODEM.html

If so, this device has integrated routing functions. its not just a modem. It could be a doulbe nat issue causing it. It could also be that dsl modem being old and outdated. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

I wasn't aware of that. Yes, that is my modem. I'll try to look into the routing functions it has. How would I do that without disabling the access points for everyone else in the house?

And if the problem is that it's so outdated, unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Guru

A simple check of it would be to go modem/router device----networking switch. 

If it can run more than 1 device off the switch, its got an integrated router. 

if that's the case, you'd want to either put the modem/router in passthrough/modem only mode (contact isp for help with that) or the netgear in Access point mode. Which can be found in the manual. 

CM2000-> Arris AX11000 W31-> GS716v2-> WAX***-AP
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements