Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6350 ethernet doesn't work properly

jgraves7
Aspirant

R6350 ethernet doesn't work properly

I purchased a Netgear R6350 on January 7th, 2019 and it has never worked correctly. Since I mostly use my desktop plugged into ethernet I have mostly just been staying plugged into the modem and only using the router when I need to download something on my phone, but it's starting to inconvenience me. Here is what is happening.

The wifi seems to work without issue. The ethernet does not. The ethernet will work, but only after resetting my computer and resetting the router from within the router's login. Sometimes it takes several series of resets for this to work. The ethernet stops working everytime my computer goes to sleep, necessitating more resets. It will also occasionally stop working seemingly at random while I'm still using it, requiring more resets.

I am 100% certain that this is an issue with this router specifically. I have an older netgear router that I gave to a family member that works flawlessly, both wifi and ethernet, with the exact same cables and the exact same computer at both my house and my family member's house. Furthermore I have taken the R6350 over to that family member's house, which has a different modem and it becomes even less functional.  The wifi doesn't even work, plugging it into the modem seems to put the modem into some kind of weird power cycle. I can log into the router via ethernet, but in completely fails to find an internet connection.

I have factory reset the router numerous times to no avail. It is currently on the most recent firmware and I have tried the previous 3 versions of the firmware to no effect. I am absolutely convinced that this router is either defective or there is something stupid that isn't obvious that I have never had to do with any previous router.

Is there something that anybody can tell me that might help?

P.S. Why am I unable to select this router in the model section of this discussion template? According to this link, the R6350 supports the Nighthawk app.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
jgraves7
Aspirant

I left out an important detail. I use Linux. I realized that this was the issue when I tried using the windows 10 laptop that I have for my job and it worked just fine.

Anyway, here is my post on the Antergos forums about the issue if anyone is interested.

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11522/no-ethernet-with-netgear-r6350-router-rtl8111-8168-8411/6

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies

If this is that new, I'd be tempted to take it back to whoever sold me the thing.

I'm afraid I am having a hard time working out what is going on here. Take this bit:

@jgraves7 wrote:

The wifi seems to work without issue. The ethernet does not. The ethernet will work, but only after resetting my computer and resetting the router from within the router's login. Sometimes it takes several series of resets for this to work. The ethernet stops working everytime my computer goes to sleep, necessitating more resets. It will also occasionally stop working seemingly at random while I'm still using it, requiring more resets.

This smells a bit like a Windows issue, especially the sleep thing.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

P.S. Why am I unable to select this router in the model section of this discussion template?

Because the R6350 in not a Nighthawk router, which is what this section covers.

Try here:

General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk) - NETGEAR Communities

There is support for the R6350 at the end of this link:

>>>R6350 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Message 2 of 3
jgraves7
Aspirant

I left out an important detail. I use Linux. I realized that this was the issue when I tried using the windows 10 laptop that I have for my job and it worked just fine.

Anyway, here is my post on the Antergos forums about the issue if anyone is interested.

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11522/no-ethernet-with-netgear-r6350-router-rtl8111-8168-8411/6

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7