WifiButtonSucks
Follower

R6400 / AC1750 - Wifi Button TURNS OFF WIFI - TERRIBLE UI

Registered just to post this.

For some reason, the R6400 has a button that looks *just* like an indicator light on the top of the router. If you accidentally push this button, it will DISABLE your wifi radios.

Here's the kicker:

If you go into the admin and check the box to turn the wireless radios on and then save/reboot, they *still* WILL NOT TURN ON UNTIL YOU PHYSICALLY PRESS THE WIFI BUTTON ON THE DEVICE.

There is NO indication this is happening in the admin. It just gives an exclamation mark and the wifi radios show as unchecked/turned off.

Here's the post I found that clued me into this.

Note that the user was sent to the forums BY NETGEAR CUSTOMER SUPPORT:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Unable-to-enable-wireless/td-p/513494

Other than that, and dodgy Time Machine support(can't figure out if Mac OS or the router) the router is fine.

End grumble.

Message 1 of 3

Re: R6400 / AC1750 - Wifi Button TURNS OFF WIFI - TERRIBLE UI

Check the manual for this device:

R6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Pages 10 & 11 describe what the buttons and LEDs do.

Pressing this button for two seconds turns the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi radios on and off. If this LED is lit, the WiFi radios are on. If this LED is off, the WiFi radios are turned off and you cannot use WiFi to connect to the router.

It would certainly be a good idea if the wifi management pages in the interface flagged up the possibility that the switch if off.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: R6400 / AC1750 - Wifi Button TURNS OFF WIFI - TERRIBLE UI

@michaelkenward wrote:

It would certainly be a good idea if the wifi management pages in the interface flagged up the possibility that the switch if off.

It'd be better still if the web ui could tell you that the switch was off (ideally it would give the status of all the leds on the home page).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements