R6400 Parental controls

dgunn69
Aspirant

R6400 Parental controls

Isn't it great that Netgear upgrades the firmware so parental control no longer works forcing you to contact suppot just for them to tell you your router is past warranty date?? I paid $150 for this router and now you're telling me you can't help? This company knows exacty what they did by updating the firmware to prevent older model routers from working properly. I'm selling this router and I will not purchase anymore Netgear products. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: R6400 Parental controls

@dgunn69 wrote:

I paid $150 for this router and now you're telling me you can't help?

Who is telling you that?

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Rather than acting like a spoilt kid and ranting on about how the world is doing you down, you might do better to ask for help in fixing the issue.

With no information to go on, it is anyone's guess as to how to fix the problem.

Tell people what is going on and where things go wrong. Then you might get some help.

For a start, what firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 7
dgunn69
Aspirant

I wasn't referring to the community, I was referring to Netgear.

I called Netgear and they told me they would not help me because the warranty was past date. I am on the latest firmware with the Nighthawk R6400 ac1750 1.1.044 and parental controls do not work past 1.1.018. I have flashed every version of the firmware past .018 doing a two-minute reset as specified by Netgear each time and rebooting the router and waiting 60 Seconds after full boot.

Each time after the boot I log in and go to parental controls to log into my OpenDNS account and I get an error that tells me I am connected to a router that does not support LPC and for further assistance contact OpenDNS. OpenDNS tells me to contact Netgear. Netgear tells me they cannot help because my warranty is past date.

I can go from any version and flash back to .018 and parental controls work as soon as I click on the button and it does exactly as it's supposed to, asks me for my login information
Message 3 of 7

So go back to a version of the firmware that works.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 7
dgunn69
Aspirant

The reason I'm trying to update is because there are issues with previous versions of this firmware that have been adversely affecting my internet
Message 5 of 7

@dgunn69 wrote:
....there are issues with previous versions of this firmware that have been adversely affecting my internet

And they were?

Just another user.

Message 6 of 7
dgunn69
Aspirant

Having to enter my password 3 times every time I log into my router, wired speeds drop from 100mbps to 30mbps about every 3 days forcing me to restart router, port forwarding issues, static ip addresses lose connectivity at least once a month, printer ip address made static router was giving away (fixed in .018).

All of these issues so far seem resolved in .044 except the once a month static ip changes (haven't had .044 installed a month yet).
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements