Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 Speeds not optimal, not sure how to fix

aniketbreed
Aspirant

R6400 Speeds not optimal, not sure how to fix

Apologize in advance if this has been answered, in which case I would ask that you route me to the correct post. Here is my problem.

Just upgraded to a 750 MBPs speed from a 250MBPS plan. My Docsis 3.0 modem only gave me speeds in the range of 300 MBPS and upon calling the ISP, I was told that I needed a Docsis 3.1 modem. I got the new modem but the speeds improved marginally (~340MBPS). I had the ISP service person come in and do some debug. He connected the output of the modem directly to the laptop (hardwired) and found that the desired speed was obtained. This is by bypassing the R6400 router.

Now I have followed a few forums and one of the suggestions was to upgrade the firmware of the router. The current router firmware is v1.0.1.62 and the recommendation was to upgrade it to V1.3.X.X via a wired connection. In the past the router could be accessed by routerlogin.net, but now we have the nighthawk app. The app shows that the above firmware is the latest. So how do I get the desired firmware on the router? Additionally anything else that comes to mind as a recommendation will be really useful

Finally I used to think that the MODEM firmware will be upgraded by the ISP. I was told that since I purchased it seperately, it is not done and Ill have to figure that out. The Modem box doesnt show any means to get the firmware upgraded. Is there a way and even before that, is this really needed?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: R6400 Speeds not optimal, not sure how to fix

Not sure that I follow all this, but I can deal with this one:

@aniketbreed wrote:

Now I have followed a few forums and one of the suggestions was to upgrade the firmware of the router. The current router firmware is v1.0.1.62 and the recommendation was to upgrade it to V1.3.X.X via a wired connection. In the past the router could be accessed by routerlogin.net, but now we have the nighthawk app. The app shows that the above firmware is the latest. So how do I get the desired firmware on the router?

I have no idea where V1.3.X.X comes from. The latest firmware for the R6400 is 1.0.1.70.

R6400 Firmware Version 1.0.1.70 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You update it in the usual way.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@aniketbreed wrote:

Finally I used to think that the MODEM firmware will be upgraded by the ISP. I was told that since I purchased it seperately, it is not done and Ill have to figure that out. The Modem box doesnt show any means to get the firmware upgraded. Is there a way and even before that, is this really needed?

You can't update the firmware. That's down to the ISP.

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

You don't say what your modem is. That might be important, especially if it is a modem/router.

Message 2 of 5
aniketbreed
Aspirant

Michael (@michaelkenward)

Thanks for your reply. Here are some more details.

a. I used to have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with Comcast Service. With the current plan, they mentioned that they need me to have a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. So I purchased the ARRIS S33 DOCSIS 3.1 modem and thats getting used now.

b. The wired speed from the output of the modem is ~600MBPS, very close to the plan promised speed. However, once you connect to the router something happens that takes the speed down.

c. V 1.3.x.x. is something that I read on the forums where this was mentioned as the latest version. In your reply you mention v1.0.1.70 as the latest version. in my Nighthhawk app, I still see my latest version as v1.0.1.62. How do I update the modem to v1.0.1.70 in this case? Can you provide specifics? Do I need to connect to the modem differently?

d. The ISP mentions that they cannot update the firmware on the modem. Is there a way to get them to do it since this is a modem that I have purchased. Plus is that really needed given that the modem output is actually ~600MBPs

e. The modem and the router are seperate. The modem is the S33 Arris DOCSIS 3.1 version and the Router is the R6400.

Please advise on how I can improve the router performance.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5

@aniketbreed wrote:

b. The wired speed from the output of the modem is ~600MBPS, very close to the plan promised speed. However, once you connect to the router something happens that takes the speed down.

That's a wired link? (Wifi never gets wired speeds.) Measured how?

As you now have the router sitting behind a new modem, you should consider wiping out the R6400's settings and setting the router up from scratch.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

When it connects to a modem, it picks up various settings. The router needs to learn that it is working with a new modem on a faster connection.

@aniketbreed wrote:

c. V 1.3.x.x. is something that I read on the forums where this was mentioned as the latest version. In your reply you mention v1.0.1.70 as the latest version. in my Nighthhawk app, I still see my latest version as v1.0.1.62. How do I update the modem to v1.0.1.70 in this case? Can you provide specifics? Do I need to connect to the modem differently?

I still don't know where V 1.3.x.x. came from. It won't be for the R6400. Firmware is hardware dependent. You can't slap hardware from one device onto a different model

Here's the best place to learn how to update your firmware.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@aniketbreed wrote:

d. The ISP mentions that they cannot update the firmware on the modem. Is there a way to get them to do it since this is a modem that I have purchased. Plus is that really needed given that the modem output is actually ~600MBPs

There's nothing that you can do about the firmware on your modem. Bar shouting at the ISP for the latest version.

Some ISPs hate it when you don't rent a modem from them and go out of their way to be awkward. I doubt if new firmware would achieve much. Modems have very few features. The router does all the grunt work. That is where you need the latest firmware.

@aniketbreed wrote:

Please advise on how I can improve the router performance.

Is there anything that makes you think that your Internet service is causing problems?

Measuring speeds is really just for speed freaks. If the connection does what you want, why worry? The speeds you see are faster than anything you are likely to throw at it, unless you are using it to run a small corporation with dozens of users. Or running a TV stdio that needs to send huge files all over the plant.

Message 4 of 5
aniketbreed
Aspirant

Thanks again for the reply. Follow up answers

a. In case of the modem, i just connect the ethernet (output) of the modem to my laptop. This is the same cable that would have otherwise connected to the modem. I didnt know I could do this, the tech who came from Comcast showed it to me.

b. Thanks for the router resetting recommendations. Will try that out? I am hoping that the router will come back online after that..

c. I was suspecting the ISP as intentionally throttling the speeds, but if you refer to point a. above, we checked the speeds directly from the modem to the router and they were ok. Which means that the ISP is fine.

Thanks again but do let me know about point a. above.

Take care

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7