Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 Ethernet good wifi bad

cmk91
Aspirant

R6400v2 Ethernet good wifi bad

I have always had this issue with my AC1750 but I'd love for it to work better like it should.  I pay for 300mbs from ISP, and I know 300 comes out of the wall.  There is little to no loss from wall to modem to router.  If I connect a computer to the router via ethernet cable, I get my 300 (or very close to it).  If I connect to WIFI however, speeds range between 200 and 15.  I can be within 10 feet staring at the router and obtain these slow speeds.  It doesn't matter what device I'm using, speeds always vary greatly.  WIFI scanners show no other devices on the same channel.  I have done a factory reset (several times), haven't changed any settings from default, and it doesn't change anything.  Why can't I get the speeds off WIFI that I can from ethernet on the same router?  I completely understand SOME loss over wifi but I'm losing typically 200 mpbs within a few feet of the router with no obstructions.  I appreciate any help!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

What device and wireless chipset are you testing with? A 1x1 antenna device isn't going to get the same speed. 

what firmware is on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Have you tested multiple devices? (and if so, what device/chipset)

Message 2 of 6
cmk91
Aspirant

I've tested it with two laptops, my PC (Realtek 8822BE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC), an iphone 10, and my samgsung s21 ultra.  No device has achieved over 150 mbps at best today.  Results have averaged at 50 to 100 mbps.

I updated it to the most current available firmware but just installed an older version (V1.0.2.66_10.0.48) which yielded a very slight increase).

The router is connected to a CM1000.  If I wire a device to the router (or the modem) I get the full speed, but WIFI is just nowhere near where it should be.  I don't feel that wifi should drop from 300 that comes into the router to receiving 50 very close with an AC capable device.  What am I missing?

Appreciate the reply!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Are you testing over 2.4ghz or 5gh? 

2.4ghz is a slower network than 5ghz. 

Have you don't a factory reset on the router lately? Make sure if you reset to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Message 4 of 6
cmk91
Aspirant

I've tested both, 5ghz is indeed faster but not by much, maybe 20-30mbps on average.  I have tried several factory resets, and all those settings are off/disabled.  I'm clueless as to what the problem is.  I appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-general

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7