R6400v2 ReadySHARE Network/Device Name does not show up in Windows 10

brucecgirton
Aspirant

R6400v2 ReadySHARE Network/Device Name does not show up in Windows 10

I have an R6400v2 router.  I changed the ReadySHARE Network/Device Name to "Router", and plugged in a USB drive, which I named "Drive".  From my Windows 10 laptop, "\\192.168.1.1\Drive" can be connected mapped to a drive letter, but "\\Router\Drive" cannot.  

Message 1 of 6
brucecgirton
Aspirant

Re: R6400v2 ReadySHARE Network/Device Name does not show up in Windows 10

Message 2 of 6
brucecgirton
Aspirant

So, resetting the router reset the root name of the share to \\readyshare. 

On one computer, the drive is now accessible as \\readyshare\drivename.  I had to set the rest of the custome parameters up from scratch, of course.

On another, I added the line

192.168.1.1  readyshare

to the (previously nonexistant) text file named LMHOSTS (no suffix), located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\,

which makes the connection between the IP address and the NETBIOS address.  

Not sure how this is supposed to work, or why it does not in this case, but this worked around the blockage for me.

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Need to turn on SMB1... in some cases W10 will turn it off. Need that for Name Resolution. Otherwise only IP Addresses work.

Control Panel, Programs and Features, SMB, do the + and enable only the client. Reboot and it should work.

NOTE: Running SMB1 can be a security hazard in some cases, especially if you are not up to date on your Security s/w.

Message 4 of 6
brucecgirton
Aspirant

Sounds like a solid argument for not turning on SMB1.  By default, Microsoft inactivates SMB1 only 15 days after a Windows 10 installation, unless it is actively in use; I guess that is useful in some semi-obsolete business environments.  My security software is the best, as far as I know, but it doesn't mean I want to open up a vulnerability by running outdated Windows components merely to get something to work as expected.

Accessing a drive on a network router on a home network ought to be effortless.  I would argue that ReadySHARE isn't there yet.  I know an awful lot of people who, if they had run into this problem, would probably never have been able to get it working on their own.  It took a lot more of my time than I like to admit.  I can learn, but ideally, I don't want to have to understand how networks work.  I want them to take care of themselves, quietly. 

So, gentle readers, if your ReadySHARE drive can be reached at the router's IP address, but not at the expected server name "\\readyshare" or whatever you renamed it, I suggest you stick with the IP address, and forget about NETBIOS connectivity, because it's not worth the trouble.

Message 5 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@brucecgirton, I completely agree you might not want to use SMB1. The root problem though appears to be the SERVER which is the one attacked. You do not need that running to use NETBIOS names. Still risky at some level but it does work with only the CLIENT running. WannaCry was the one doing the attack and only to the SERVER (https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2017/05/12/wannacrypt-ransomware-worm-targets-out-o...). Up to date security s/w were covered, and that rarely attacked home systems. Firewall rules would also stop it.

If you look HERE, all the ways at the bottom Explorer Network Browsing you'll see how to 'get around' it. Under #3 in that section you'll see:

===============

3. Now all Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings in place will appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Check with your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still do not appear in this browse list after Windows devices appear; it is likely they have this protocol disabled or only support SMB1.

================

Problem is that Netgear HAS NOT implented WS-DISCOVERY along with SMB3. I've been fighting with them (open support case) since March this year. They keep telling me it is an MS W10 problem, not matter how much I prove to them that SMB3 is enable but NOT the Protocol to go along with it. I have read in these forums that the R9000 does work though, but I could be wrong.

Although not suggested, with the proper security in place it seems you can use SMB1 depending on need. Otherwise, it is suggested that drives be NETWORK MAPPED and attached when booting the PC. I'm sure that has other problems though, such as slowing down booting, and opening those drives to infections, possibly spreading to other computers on the LAN.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E