× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6400v2 Speed issue

Allah
Aspirant

R6400v2 Speed issue

hi i created a topic about this back in 2019 and the issue still isnt resolved . my internet speed is 500/500 mbps , im able to get those speeds on the V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 software , but when i update the firmware my speeds drop to 200 mbps or less . i tried rebooting and factory resetting . i went back to the previous V1.0.3.66_10.0.50 firmware and speeds are back to normal. is this going to be fixed?

Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

We're not netgear. this is the community support forum where members of the public help out. so we dont' know firmware plans or what netgear is working on. 

Message 2 of 21

@Allah wrote:

hi i created a topic about this back in 2019 and the issue still isnt resolved

Is this it?

Speeds decreased in latest firmware update ( R640... - NETGEAR Communities

There is far too little information there to allow anyone to begin to suggest what might be going on.

Message 3 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

with the latest firmware V1.0.4.118_10.0.90 my speeds have dropped from 500/500 to around 200/150 , on firmware version 1.0.3.66 i was getting 500 down and up , but ever since i updated the firmware im getting no more than 200 mbps . i've been having this issue for a while now. i tried rebooting and factory resetting the router .

Message 4 of 21

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 5 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

im using a modem/ont provided to me by verizon fios

Message 6 of 21

@Allah wrote:

im using a modem/ont provided to me by verizon fios

That just says you have a box on the wall. It tells us nothing about what it is and what it can do.

Message 7 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

well assuming you know what a modem is and what it does , i have the verizon fios modem connected to the nighthawk router with a cat 5e ethernet cable. i don't know what else what you want me to include on here. 

Message 8 of 21

@Allah wrote:

well assuming you know what a modem is and what it does

I sure do. I have owned many over the years.

But modems come in different flavours with a whole raft of possible features. Some do wifi, some do phones, some do handstands.

This will give you some idea of what we are up against:

verizon fios modem - Google Search

If you can find your modem, it probably has a label on the bottom that has a brand name and a model number. Without that information it is impossible to rule out some of the issues that can affect any router you attach to it.

Message 9 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

oh i see , well i cant flip the modem at the moment over to see if it has a model number since its on the wall , but the brand of the modem is verizon . if you search for verizon ont , you'll see it there . im just going to attach a photo i got off the internet , it looks exactly like the equipment i have.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.26 - 11.37.13.72.png

Message 10 of 21

@Allah wrote:

oh i see , well i cant flip the modem at the moment over to see if it has a model number since its on the wall , but the brand of the modem is verizon . if you search for verizon ont , you'll see it there .

Verizon doesn't make modems. Like all ISPs it buys in and installs stuff like that.

It looks like a plain vanilla ONT. So it shouldn't get in the way of your router.

Message 11 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

oh thought they did since it has a verizon logo on it , and when i had spectrum their equipment didnt have a spectrum logo on it , it just had the logo of the manufacturer on the router/modem . but yeah anyways im just trying to figure out why the speeds have decreased ever since the more recent firmware updates.

Message 12 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

so am i going to get help?

Message 13 of 21

Possibly not, given that this one seems to be unique to you. That usually points back to stuff at your end.

I assume that you have tried all this input:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – R6400V2

Message 14 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

This isn't an issue on my end though . This has to be a issue with the newer firmwares of the router . The problem only occurs on the newer firmware , if i were to go back to the older firmware the speeds would go back to how it should be .

Message 15 of 21
plemans
Guru

Have you tried just downgrading? I've seen multiple issues on the newer firmware. 

Message 16 of 21
Allah
Aspirant

Yes and the speeds were good but theres security flaws on the older firmware.

Message 17 of 21
plemans
Guru

So you have a choice. 

Keep the current firmware and speed and hope there will be a firmware that comes out quickly to fix the issue. 

Or downgrade and hope the "security fixes" aren't that significant since netgear doesn't release what the actual fixes are. 

In my experience, I'd downgrade. I've had routers that didn't get a single update and didn't have anyone penetrate my equipmen/system. 

but it is a risk you take. 

Message 18 of 21

@plemans wrote:

Or downgrade and hope the "security fixes" aren't that significant since netgear doesn't release what the actual fixes are. 

Netgear will not, and should not, explain what security fixes are designed to mend. To do so would tell the evil people out there that there are unplugged holes in the dyke.

But a cursory glance at the long list oif security issues that Netgear warns about will quickly reveal that most of them are hypothetical. Something uncovered in one of those security labs somewhere but that have never been seen in the wild.

Security Advisory | About Us | NETGEAR

Some people go for years without firmware updated for security fixes. (One recent visitor here is using a router that hasn't had an update in near on-five years, with no seeming damage to their security.)

Message 19 of 21
scpal9
Aspirant

I've had the same issue. Didn't matter what modem I had it wired to. I get 400 mbps from modem, but after.it goes through router the speed is capped at around 200 mbps. Router AC 1750 R6400v2. It is supposed to handle the speeds, but I see all over the internet the same issue.
Message 20 of 21

@scpal9 wrote:

..... I see all over the internet the same issue.

Got a link to some of these "all over the Internet" references? They might help us to understand what is going on, given that you haven't told us anything about your own circumstances.

You have joined in on an existing year old conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7