Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700 1.0.1.46 breaks UPnP?

R6700 1.0.1.46 breaks UPnP?

Upgraded to 1.0.1.46 last night. Had an issue streaming with Plex this morning (access held fine for 2-3 songs then died completely). Plex remote access then became completely inaccessible, in addition to some other cameras and services that should be leveraging UPnP. Checked a bunch of logs and updated software/firmware of all the other equipment (even though none of the other logs were throwing up any errors). Even the R6700 logging area was showing access entries for everything, even though things still weren't accessible. Rolled back to 1.0.1.44 and everything is working again.

Some other items to note:

- I did not try a factory reset after upgrading as some threads suggest.

- The UPnP page had no entries listed while I was experiencing the issue. Entries appeared again after I rolled back.

- On my journey I also tried both Secure and Open NAT filtering.

- Manually specifying ports (Plex) for remote access didn't help for that software. I wasn't able to try changing ports and explicitly allowing for other devices/software. So maybe not UPnP specifically... but something firewall related to that service.

I'm not really sure where to go next and I'm posting more so for anyone else that might have the issue. I guess I'll wait for whatever is after 1.0.1.46 to try again and/or until I have more time to try a factory reset and restore.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6700 1.0.1.46 breaks UPnP?

Hi All,

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.1.48. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059128/R6700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-48

Regards,

Blanca
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies

@ensign_redshirt wrote:

- I did not try a factory reset after upgrading as some threads suggest.

Not just "some threads", also Netgear support. (Pity they don't make this clearer in the Release Notes.) No one is going to put much effort into this discussion if you don't try that.

@ensign_redshirt wrote:

I guess I'll wait for whatever is after 1.0.1.46 to try again and/or until I have more time to try a factory reset and restore.

I don't know what you mean by "restore". If you intend to restore from a saved backup of your settings, that can be a good way of reviving whatever it is that is causing your problems.

After a reset you should reconfigure, not restore, the settings.

Message 2 of 10

Experiencing the exact same issue after sw update. My cameras are no longer working and upnp is a blank page even though it's enabled.
Message 3 of 10

@Santerianumero1 wrote:
Experiencing the exact same issue after sw update. My cameras are no longer working and upnp is a blank page even though it's enabled.

I assume that you did the factory reset thing. The Netgear people will ask you to do that before they take the problem any further.

Message 4 of 10

Correct, however; "the Netgear people" have never reached out. Netgear has some of the most pisspoor support out there. I got this pile (r6700) at Costco and it wasn't even in the support materials until a couple of YEARS after it was launched. Every sw update is an adventure to say the least. Thankfully this isn't a catastrophic stop for me but more of a damn annoyance.
Message 5 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All,

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.1.48. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000059128/R6700-Firmware-Version-1-0-1-48

Regards,

Blanca
Community Team

Message 6 of 10

Thank you! Works now!
Message 7 of 10
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Santerianumero1, 

Great! Glad to know that it work. 

Regards,

Blanca
Community Team

Message 8 of 10

So far so good, although I only upgraded a few moments ago. The issue didn't present itself immediately last time though (took ~8-12hrs and died in the middle of an active streaming session) so I'm going to monitor for a couple of days before calling it good. Thanks for the update!

Message 9 of 10

Coming up on 48hrs and things have been pretty clean. I had a monitoring service that was a little unhappy for a few hours after the upgrade, but a restart of that system seems to have re-established itself and everything has been quiet (from an alerting perspective).

Thanks for the update. It appears to have addressed the initial issue without needing to reset/re-enter any settings.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7