Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700 5G Connection Is Missing

maybenotstig
Guide

R6700 5G Connection Is Missing

My R6700 has always put out a 2G and 5G wifi connection until yesterday. 5G is no longer appearing in the list of available networks on any devices that had previously been connected to it. I updated the firmware, and factory reset the device which has not fixed it. 

I saw my internet service provider, Comcast Xfinity, doing work in the area which may be a coincidence. I have been in contact with the technician for my area who said their work should not have affected this. 

Netgear wouldn't help me over the phone because the device is out of warranty. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the 5G back?

Firmware version: V1.0.4.102_10.0.75

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
maybenotstig
Guide

Re: R6700 5G Connection Is Missing

Bought another router from another company with 2 years of technical support for almost half the price and better performance than the R6700. I have a 5G connection again with this new router. 

Thank you for absolutely nothing Netgear, aside from encouraging me to explore other router manufacturers.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I don't suppose you have smart connect enabled? 

It combines the 2.4ghz and 5ghz ssid into one broadcast. So you don't "see" the other wireless channel. It steers devices between the 2 bands as needed. 

Message 2 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

I don't see this option, where does it live?

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

My bad. I thought the R6700v3 had the option. it doesn't. My bad. 

Does your status page show it online? 

Did the ssid broadcast get disabled?

Or the 5ghz radio get disabled? 

Message 4 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

Status shows the 5G channel is online.

SSID broadcast is enabled.

Radio is enabled.

Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

have you checked with a a different device? maybe its a device specific issue? 

Have you used a wireless scanner like inssider or acrylic to check the broadcast? 

Have you tried renaming the 5ghz connection?

Message 6 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

Yes, 5G is no longer an option from any devices that were connected to it last week.

Yes, the scanner does not find the 5G channel either.

Yes.

Message 7 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

See attached. 5G isn't doing anything...

Message 8 of 21
plemans
Guru

Try downgrading the router a firmware version (or 2), then factory reset and do a clean install (not from backup)

See if that helps. If not, it might have went bad

Message 9 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

Sadly that has also been done and the same problem remains.

All this is leading me to believe the router went bad, and unless Netgear is willing to troubleshoot this without having me buy a warranty I don't want, I think I'm out of luck with a bad router.
Message 10 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

For context, this router is 7 months old...
Message 11 of 21
plemans
Guru

You might not have free support but you should still have a warranty. 

click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you can check warranty and start the rma process if its within warranty

Message 12 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

This router's 90 day warranty expired a few weeks ago. Over the phone, Netgear wouldn't go any further with the troubleshooting or diagnostics with me unless I bought an extended warranty. 

Message 13 of 21
plemans
Guru

was it a renewed device? 

If so, then it might have a shorter warranty.

Otherwise if it was new the warranty is longer but the "free support" it only 90 days. 

Message 14 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

Bought new from Amazon.

I'm out of options, I have to replace this with a router from a company with a better technical support offering.

Message 15 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

Bought another router from another company with 2 years of technical support for almost half the price and better performance than the R6700. I have a 5G connection again with this new router. 

Thank you for absolutely nothing Netgear, aside from encouraging me to explore other router manufacturers.

Message 16 of 21
maksymbodnar
Aspirant

Wow, I have exactly the same router (6 month old) and exactly the same problem.

5G appears for a moment when I do reboot the router, but scanner shows some ridiculose signal strength (like -100dB) and then it dissapears.

Talked to tech support - apparently to get to the tech people and create RMA (the only way to return a faulty device) I have to purchase some support certificate for the price of the device ($89). What a scam.

So, it looks like I will use your proven solution to the problem - buy a router from another manufacturer.

If I may ask - which router did you buy?

Message 17 of 21
maksymbodnar
Aspirant

By the way, apparently, the hardware warrenty has not yet expired, it is 1 year from the date of purchase.

But you cannot use it without RMA, and you cannot get to RMA without tech support certificate.

Message 18 of 21
maybenotstig
Guide

Thank you for validating this issue. 

I attached a photo of the product, which is the first result when searching "router" on amazon. Slightly doctored the photo of the competitor router to not give Netgear an obvious reason to take this down. 

Message 19 of 21
maksymbodnar
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, will check.

Good luck with new device 🙂

Message 20 of 21
mshakr
Aspirant

Wow! I am having the exact same issue on my R7000P Nighthawk router and also Netgear wouldn't help me over the phone because I purchased it over 3 months ago even though it is still covered by a hardware warrantee!! I already tried doing a reset to factory default as well as a firmware upgrade and downgrade and nothing fixes it. I noticed a few other people had a similar issue without a real solution to the problem. It's obviously a router issue and most probably hardware related.I have never seen this type of support any where else. This was my first Netgear router purchase and definitely my last! It's so frustrating!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7