R6700 Connected to Phone Hotspot when Cable Internet is Down

Jamiers
Aspirant

R6700 Connected to Phone Hotspot when Cable Internet is Down

This question is in relation to an R6700v3 (which the model will not let me select up above).  My cable Internet goes down about once a month because of sporadic service.  I have tried searching for the answer but am coming up with an R7000 thread and the Netgear Admin area is not similar.

Basically what I want to do is not tether my phone to the R6700v3 and put it on the network to provide internet service while the cable company "repairs" whatever their issue is.  I haven't been able to search properly to do this.  Anyone have a specific idea?  The R7000 thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-bridging-with-Mobile-Hotspot-Device/td...) doesn't seem to have the same options in the control panel.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: R6700 Connected to Phone Hotspot when Cable Internet is Down

@Jamiers wrote:

Basically what I want to do is not tether my phone to the R6700v3 and put it on the network to provide internet service while the cable company "repairs" whatever their issue is. 

Basically what I want to do is not tether my phone to the R6700v3 and....

Greetings,

In all honestly, I can't tell what it is you want to do.  You say not and put it on the network to provide service in the same sentence?  Then you refer to a post where the person does what you said you "don't" want to do.  Put his mobile device in front of his router. 

The premise is fairly simple.  Your mobile device operates as a DHCP server and will provide internet to devices that you connect to it.

The R6700v3 also acts as a DHCP server unless it runs in AP or bride mode.  (Note: these features must be supported in the FW you are running).  Page 63 of your manual discusses AP Mode.   While it might be possible to use your mobile devices as a internet source and link the router to it (AP / Bridge Mode).....  This is not practical.  Let me be clear.  Its not practical, reliable, etc. 

My recommendation.  Just use your phone to serve internet to a few of your devices while the ISP makes repairs.  You will spend (waste) more time trying to manage this type of configuration while your service is interrupted.  What's a better solution....  switch to an ISP with better SLA and uptime.  Tethering is not designed to "run" or supply connectivity to your household's network.     

Trying to use your router behind your mobile device will not work reliably.  A hotspot is designed for tethering..  one or two devices and provide internet connectivity via wireless, BT or USB, but agin only to a device or two...  not your home's wi-fi or wired network.

My recommendatins are based off providing stable, reliable connectivity.  Even if temporary.  One that doesn't require constant management or monitoring.  One that will provide "set and forget" functionality, and requires the least amount of your time and life to keep it working.

You are free to do as you wish, and if you have the patience and time to spend reconfiguring your network regularly, great. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E