Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700 Firmware update kills router

Mark_53
Star

R6700 Firmware update kills router

I tried to update per the insturctions sent 12/1/2017.R6700-V1.0.1.36_10.0.40

except I did it over a wireless connection and now I cannot communicate to the router even when directly connected through ethernet.   Help

Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
Mark_53
Star

After trying a TFTP update with a Netgear Support agent, I was given an RMA to return the unit which I did.  That should solve the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 28

All Replies
Mark_53
Star

I tried to press the factory reset button in the back of the unit for 7 seconds but nothing happens.  Is there some indication that the factory rest was completed?

Message 2 of 28

@Mark_53 wrote:

Is there some indication that the factory rest was completed?

Yes. It is in the manual. Check the power LED.

There is a manual for the R6700 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 169.

Message 3 of 28
Mark_53
Star

Thanks for the help.  The power button is blinking white.  User manuel says that means firmware is corupt and to contact tech support.  Is this tech support?  What next?

Message 4 of 28
d0x
Guide
Guide

I also had mine update over WiFi via my phone and chrome and I didn't have any issues so that shouldn't be the root cause of the issue
Message 5 of 28
Mark_53
Star

Thanks for the input.  The firware update seemed to complete based on the on screen progress bar except at the very end when it did not return to the completed update screen.  Is my 14 month old router now toast?

Message 6 of 28
d0x
Guide
Guide

No it should be fine. Close the browser window and try to log back in sometimes it does that but as long as the router doesn't lose power during the update you are good.

So if the bar hits 100% and nothing happens it's likely the router still rebooting so just wait another min or so and like I said close the tab and open a new one and try to login. It happened to me with the latest update a few min ago actually. I was able to log back in again. Sometimes the update and reboot process takes longer than that bar actually shows.
Message 7 of 28
Mark_53
Star

Thanks but I rebooted the router after waiting about 5-10 min for it to recover. Now I still have blinking white light on the power button.  I do an ipconfig hardwired to the router and no IP for the router.  Press the reset button and nothing happens.  I tried using tftp2.exe to force an update but since the router has no ip number, it fails.

Message 8 of 28
d0x
Guide
Guide

Try a reset using the button on the back and If it still doesn't work I'd exchange it. There could be an issue with the rom that the firmware is installed on.

When I say reset button I don't mean the toggle switch I mean the one you need like a small pin for. If you did do that (cause you mentioned reset) then just do what I mentioned above.

I've had the router for quite a while and it's been fantastic. It has no issues handling lots of devices connected. It also has really good range and wall penetration. Though if you were to choose a different brand it would be understandable but unless you go really high end like in the thousands of dollars then they are pretty much all the same

Just stay away from Archer routers. They are crap. I had 3 different models before I gave up and bought this.
Message 9 of 28
Mark_53
Star

I did press the reset pin hole button with a paper clip and nothing happens.  This router is 14 months old so it's 2 months out of warranty which is very disappoiting that it fails so soon.  It was working just fine before the dumb firware update.

Message 10 of 28
d0x
Guide
Guide

Did you hold it in for 10 seconds? I'm not sure if you can flash it now.but you could open a support ticket just in case. Also i sent you a PM
Message 11 of 28

Some people have found that it helps to push the thing for even longer, try a minute. Remember, do it with the power on.

This is an alternative:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Finally, if all else fails:

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 12 of 28
d0x
Guide
Guide

Awesome answer, ty. Hopefully it works for him.
Message 13 of 28
Mark_53
Star

Tried pushing reset for over a minute with power on.  Nothing happens.

Tried pushing reset with power off then power on.  Flashing many LEDs. Power LED goes amber for about 1 minute then turns flashing white.

Tried the TPTP option with amber power LED on after pressing reset over a minute.  It never turns green like the instuctions say.  On the 3rd retry of TFTP, a progress bar indicates firware being updated but fails halfway through.

Message 14 of 28
JamesGL
Master

Hi Mark_53,

If the TFTP will not work, possible hardware issue. I would suggest contacting support team for replacement.

Message 15 of 28
JamesGL
Master

Hi Mark_53,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 16 of 28
Patrick00228
Aspirant

Hi Dear

my netgear router R6700 is killed after apply your last update .... im so confused and dont understand why?  the update is FAKE from Netgear or how?

can you gelp me to recover it 

Best Regards

Patrick  

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 17 of 28
RegisterAgain
Aspirant

The latest update has made my R6700 router unreliable wifi wise, any cure available?

Message 18 of 28

Different hardware, but you might want to try this:

Solved: Re: R6400 router slow after firmware update V1.0.1... - NETGEAR Communities

It has worked for others.

Message 19 of 28
Mark_53
Star

After trying a TFTP update with a Netgear Support agent, I was given an RMA to return the unit which I did.  That should solve the problem.

Message 20 of 28
RegisterAgain
Aspirant

I solved my problem by removing this *** and reinstalling my ten year old Apple Time Capsule; fast. dependable internet again. Netgear can take a hike!

Message 21 of 28
d0x
Guide
Guide

Frustration is certainly understandable but that router you are using has its own security vulnerabilities and it's a product apple doesn't provide security updates for.

You would be better served buying a $40 router that is current than you would using an old one. Routers, at least consumer ones are notorious for security holes.

Whatever you decide to do just remember that updating via WiFi is always not advised.

That said since your device was bricked by what seems like a bad rom chip I'd call Netgear on the phone and demand replacement and I wouldn't stop until it was replaced. I'd file a complaint with the BBB and my State AG along with maybe even the FTC. Such an expensive router shouldn't die so quickly unless it was abused. It just shouldn't.

Also for future reference keep in mind routers tend to run hot so give them proper air circulation and blow any dust out of them. Heat kills.
Message 22 of 28
RegisterAgain
Aspirant

I bought this in November of 2016 so would not expect any "help." I used my old Time Capsule since I wanted to access the internet and my newest "old" router, a Cisco E4200, couldn't be activated since I didn't know the password, so enter the Time Capsule. I have downloaded the previous firmware and am searching for instructions on how to "flash" my Highthawk with that. I would like to do it without having to install it in my network.

Message 23 of 28

@RegisterAgain wrote:

I have downloaded the previous firmware and am searching for instructions on how to "flash" my Highthawk with that. I would like to do it without having to install it in my network.

If you mean firmware for the R6700, the Release Notes usually explain what to do.

There is a manual for the R6700 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Start on page 132. But don't use the Check button. Browse to the file that you downloaded. After you have unzipped it, of course.

Message 24 of 28
RegisterAgain
Aspirant

I am going to try this this afternoon. I think I will just try hooking it up to my MacBook Pro with an ethernet cable to see if it recognizes it. Hoping for success here, thanks for your reply.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7