R6700 Firmware update lost of DNLA server

Mariobross55
Aspirant

R6700 Firmware update lost of DNLA server

Hi

Since I made my firmware update to level 1.0.2.8 I lost the DNLA tab option, so I was force to return to the previous firmware 1.0.2.6

Why netgear decide to remove that feature that I use almost every day, Is this feature will be restore in a futur update or it is lost for ever..????

Message 1 of 7
microchip8
Master

Re: R6700 Firmware update lost of DNLA server

NETGEAR is in the process of removing some features in (some?) models as it needs space to add Armor and sell it to you to protect your butt Smiley Wink

That said, quite a few are not happy with this decision. I don't think NETGEAR will bring it back in a future release.

Also, I recommend not depending on the router for streaming but installing miniDLNA on your PCs and streaming from there

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.91.1SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Sadly, I think it'll be lost forever. They had to remove some services to add netgear armor. They've removed itunes server, downloader, kwilt, tivo, and dlna from a lot of devices to replace it with armor. 

there's quite a few people who are upset over it because you can keep your dlna setup but then you can't update firmware.  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/DLNA-OFFICIALLY-removed-from-R7000-on-latest...

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 3 of 7
myersw
Master

Really sad part is you can get routers from other venders with TrendMicro and not pay anything for the same protection that Armor provides and still have all the other features. I know what I would buy if looking at Netgear, their competition would look really good if I wanted something like Armor. Think Asus and TP-Link. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 7
Mariobross55
Aspirant

Hi

It was pretty handy not to have a computer running for my DNLA....  The feature of the router was working great....  

It is strange to have and update that downgrade the previous feature of the router.....????

Message 5 of 7
microchip8
Master

Yeah, well NETGEAR does as it pleases, even if it means pissing off its customers. There is no guarantee that any additional things in its firmware will be supported forever or removed in a future release and replaced by something else

I think someone from high management went to sleep one night asking himself how they can squeeze more money out of their customers and woke up the next morning with the idea to remove stuff and integrate a subscription-based Armor service hoping enough people will fall for it. What he didn't realize is, as said above, the same functionality is free at the competition and they didn't have to remove advertised stuff in order to bring it to its customers

You have 2 options:

1) stay on the last firmware that offers DLNA

2) buy a router from another brand that also offers DLNA and hope they don't do the same as NETGEAR (I doubt they will, but who knows). ASUS is highly recommended. TP-Link has much improved its firmware but they tend to drop models too soon. Linksys is know for its notorious sporadic firmware updates

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.91.1SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 6 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Downgrade is not really something you'd ideally want to do? You lock yourself out of future f/w releases. That mean no more Router SECURITY fixes, 'normal' fixes to problem in the version you are stuck on, and possible new functions or improved features.

Handwriting is on the wall, time to get a router from a company that cares about its customers and honors its commitment to you and  does NOT remove features you might use. Hint, don't get one from Netgear!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E