Follower

R6700 Nighthawk wired connection super slow and wireless connection fine

I attempted to update the firmware on my R6700 with the netlogin automatic process in the advanced section of routerlogin.net. When the update process started, it said it could not see the internet so I downloaded the firmware manually from the netgear website. Ever since, the wired connection has only been providing 5 mbps versus the normal 120 mbps. I switch the desktop computer to wireless and speedtest gets to 30 mbps which is limit of internal component. What is wrong?
Message 1 of 4
Tutor

Re: R6700 Nighthawk wired connection super slow and wireless connection fine

It's not just you... I've just rolled back to firmware version 1.0.20 because everything after that is seriously broken. I've spent hours on the phone with Comcast and even had a technician tell me today that the reason I was getting 12Mb downloads instead of the 75Mb I pay for was because my cable modem was at end of life. I didn't believe it for one second, but I went out and bought a new cable modem today only to get stuck at 12Mb anyway. Since the technician had just told me that all lmy signals were good and clean and I now had a new modem doing the same thing, I realized that the only thing left was my R6700. It finally occurred to me that we've had several R6700 firmware updates recently, so I started rolling them back. I stopped when I hit 1.0.20 because I finally got back to 80+ Mb, while everything after that drops me back down to 12Mb again. Yes, this is repeatable. It also scares me because these last several updates were security patches, which means if we stick with 1.0.20 then we're exposed to whatever malware those patches were intended to protect us from, but  if we upgrade then our computers are dropped down to about 12Mb!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 4
Tutor

I'm goint to take that all back - it's the QoS settings! Somewhere along the line my QoS settings got set to Advanced with a speed of 12434Kb, but when I changed it to Dynamic and did a speed test within the firmware it came up 90Mb down and 12Mb up just like it should. I left it set to Dynamic QoS, and now everything is fine from both my wired desktop AND my wifi devices.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
Tutor

I mean everthing is fine with the new 1.0.1.36 firmware, so not only has the speed been restored but so has security. :-)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements