Re: Nighthawk R7000 Router ReadySHARE should support SMB2

Retired_Member
Not applicable

In windows 10 visit start | run | appwiz.cpl [ add/remove programs ] | turn windows features on or off | scroll down to "smb 1.0/cifs file sharing support" and ensure you have just the child "smb 1.0/cifs client" option enabled.  With that in place connection to netgear readyshare usb thumbdrives will work. 

The issue here is not with windows 10 but rather netgear's slow turn around in providing the modern native tcp/ip file and printer sharing for microsoft networking protocol support in their readyshare implementation.  The smb over tcp/ip approach is the old and out of date solution.

Message 26 of 46
Rojma
Luminary

With my Nighthawk X4S R7800, I have SMB 1 disabled/not installed on all of my Windows 10 PCs and ReadyShare works fine. I have the latest firmware installed on the router. Not sure if NetGear has updated firmwares for other routers, but at least on the Nighthawk X4S R7800 it works fine with the latest firmware.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 27 of 46
IrvSp
Master

@Rojma, yes, some routers have SMB2/3 enabled, but not the R7000. Others routers may also be SMB1 only, but I don't know which they would be. Opening a CMD prompt and running NET VIEW is another way to check if you need SMB1 or not. Can't see the readyshare share, you need SMB1. In my case, even when the PC's couldn't see the share or have NET VIEW work, my iPad was able to see the share on a DLNA client. However once the Master Browser was 'broken' it no longer could.

Message 28 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

SMBv2/v3 should work with R7000 with the latest firmware starting v1.0.9.10.

Message 29 of 46
IrvSp
Master

@JamesGLwrote:

Hi All,

SMBv2/v3 should work with R7000 with the latest firmware starting v1.0.9.10.

@JamesGL, should is the operative word apparently.

I'm on W10 V1709, OS Build 16299.309 (the Mar. 2018 update). My R7000 had some h/w issues and I replaced it last week. It was on V1.0.9.26 and I know it DID NOT work. NET VIEW without SMB1 returned a 1231 error. Although NET VIEW \\share_name worked for all PC's and the router.

I now have an R8000 in its place. SAME results...

WITH SMB1 Client on I will get this:

======================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view \\irv8700
Shared resources at \\irv8700
Irv's 8700
Share name  Type  Used as  Comment
C_8700      Disk
K_8700      Disk
L_disk      Disk
Users       Disk

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare
readyshare
Share name   Type  Used as  Comment
Movies       Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_Storage  Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password

====================

Again, with SMB1 Client NOT installed NET VIEW returns a 1231 error. Should be VERY easy to check.

Message 30 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

I can see my readyshare via Ethernet on my desktop but can no longer see it on wireless. Win 10 Pro vet 1803 both desk and lap. For some reason wireless keeps posting the readyshare under Network as "READYSHARE" and not the normal way. My firmware 1.02.053. Thanks for any and all help!
Message 31 of 46
IrvSp
Master

A few things here...

On the USB FUNCTION, READYSHARE tab you set the NETWORK name and the DEFAULT is 'readyshare'. You have something else there?

@Beau602 wrote:
I can see my readyshare via Ethernet on my desktop but can no longer see it on wireless.

How are you seeing it? What are you using?

@Beau602 wrote:
Win 10 Pro vet 1803 both desk and lap.

Yes, but did you know to 'see' something like the READYSHARE shares you need to have SMB 1 running?

Open a CMD prompt and run NET VIEW on both PC's...

If you have SMB 1 running it will look like this:

=========

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

--------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500      Laraine's XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare

======

Not running, you'll get an error, 1231 I think?

In a Administrator Elevated prompt start POWERSHELL and run  Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName SMB1Protocol and if you have SMB1 running it will look like this:

==========

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powershell
Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName SMB1Protocol

FeatureName      : SMB1Protocol
DisplayName      : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
Description      : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing protocol, and the Computer Browser
                   protocol.
RestartRequired  : Possible
State            : Enabled
CustomProperties :
                   ServerComponent\Description : Support for the SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing
                   protocol, and the Computer Browser protocol.
                   ServerComponent\DisplayName : SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
                   ServerComponent\Id : 487
                   ServerComponent\Type : Feature
                   ServerComponent\UniqueName : FS-SMB1
                   ServerComponent\Deploys\Update\Name : SMB1Protocol

================

If you do not, use Control Panel,  Programs and Features, to add Windows features and add in the SMB1 Client.

Also, you are on a very old version of R7000 firmware... and that could be part of the problem.

Message 32 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

Sorry about posting to the wrong router.

Here is the current status:

Win 10 Pro Ver 1803 (build 17134.165

Readyshare is default in the router:  \\readyshare\USB_Storage

Current Firmware is:  1.0.2.52

Not sure why wireless is not working because it was before the creators update three days ago.  I did confirm that the SMB is on but both client and server were checked.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

As I commented before, when I could view the readyshare on the laptop (Panasonic Toughbook CF-C2, 16 gigs ram, 1 TB ssd

Thanks for all your help!

Message 33 of 46
IrvSp
Master

You have the Spring Update, V1803... Creator was the Fall one.

Check to see if there is a driver update for the Laptop... might be needed.

As far as SMB 1 goes, only the CLIENT is needed. Server running is a security exposure.

I assume you have a modem, is it a pure modem or combo modem/router (make and model please)? You might have 2 wireless networks and a wired one only on one of those.

Message 34 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

Yes it is the spring update that just happened and I was more than happy to FINALLY recieve it. I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-C2 with 16gs ram and a 1Tb ssd. The machine flys!  As I said, up until the recent update I was able to access the \\readyshare\USB_Storage network drive where I have a 1Tb ssd in the USB 3.0 port of the router. 

I can access the readyshare drive from my hard wired desktop no question.  But, the wireless will not access the drive any longer.  I have several wireless chips (Intel 7260N, Intel 8260ac, Intel 8265ac, Killer 1550) and all of the wireless cards are producing the same result - no access to the readyshare drive. So, it is not a driver issue as I have changed out all of the wireless cards and still the same result.  I have even stripped out the readyshare from the router and started over.  Same results. Wired - access, wireless - no access.  Everytime I go to access the "Network" all I can see is "READYSHARE" and not the "\\readyshare\USB_Storage".

My son just confirmed (he has a Alienware 18 w/ a broadcom ac wireless card" and has the lastest spring update and can access the readyshare.  Just saw him do it.  So you may be onto something with a driver issue.  Currently the Killer 1550 is in my toughbook.  I am going to put the 8265ac card back in.  I moved over to the Killer due to the reliability of keeping a full 867meg constant connection to the router. The 8265ac would drop down to as low as 96meg, and rarely would connect at full speed.

Thanks for all your help.  Any ideas?

Message 35 of 46
IrvSp
Master

I'm pretty sure from your description it is NOT the network drivers or cards. It is NOT the router either. It is Windows 10 lack of SMB 1 running.

Open a CMD prompt and run sc query mrxsmb10 and check the output, it should look like this:

C:\>sc query mrxsmb10

SERVICE_NAME: mrxsmb10
        TYPE               : 2  FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

State should be Running. If not go to the Control Panel and Programs and Features and then add SMB 1 client to W10. Reboot and it should again work.

A word of warning about using SSD's on the USB port of the router. The router FS for READYSHARE drives doesn't support TRIM, so you could have some problems at some time.

As for the 8265ac, check to make sure you have the latest drives... some companies need to update when new Windows version come out.

Message 36 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

I ran the query and have included the screenshot of the results which match exactly what you wrote in your post. I can only send one screenshot at a time. Here is the first showing the query run.

Message 37 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

Here is the second screenshot showing what my network via wireless is doing.  Currently on the Killer 1550 card.

Message 38 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

Here is the third screenshot directly from the Router showing the settings for Readyshare

Message 39 of 46
IrvSp
Master

Something else seems to be going on? Still wouldn't think it is network adapter related?

You'll notice that Windows Explorer DOES see READYSHARE... but not that it has folders.

Another thing to try, the Browser method. On the last screenshot, the 2nd line, HTTP shares, click on that, does it work?

It might, or might not, but I wonder if you firewall might be blocking you? Not a trusted network?

From a CMD prompt when you enter NET VIEW \\READYSHARE /ALL, do you get an error or does it work?

Message 40 of 46
skyrunr
Luminary

Hello,  this issue has been flushed out.  Windows 10 no longer support SMB v1.  I've tried the suggested settings in earlier threads, but they did not work.  Other Netgear routers have received firmware updates to resolve the issue, but not the R7500v2.  It works fine with Windows 7 machines and probably with mobile devices.  Netgear charges $99 for a support call.  I'll probably never buy another NetGear product because of this.  It is too bad because the Netgear Genius software is really useful.

Good luck!

Message 41 of 46
schumaku
Guru

@skyrunr wrote:

Windows 10 no longer support SMB v1.

Wrong. Windows 10 does still offer SMB 1.0/CIFS (including NetBIOS discovery and name resolution) support. You might to have the feature installed and enabled accordingly.

Windows 10 18xx CIFS Features.PNG

And once more for the records: If the ReadySHARE does not show up as a Computer on the network, and \\readyshare can't be resolved it's not related to the SMB protocol version - just to the fact that Microsoft has bundled the NetBIOS discovery and name resolution with the SMB 1.0/CIFS feature set. No idea on how many times we have to repeat this in this community.

Message 42 of 46
Beau602
Luminary

Yes I was able to access the http readyshare via the netgear cloud on the laptop via wireless.  Very odd that the desktop via ethernet is able to see it, but, the wireless that is connected directly to the router on 5G can no longer see it.  I have to think this is more a Microsoft issue than a netgear issue.  I did turn off the windows firewall just for grins and giggles and obtained the same result.  I use Sunbelt Vipre for my anti-virus which had no issues prior to the Win 10 upgrade allowing access to the readyshare.

I also invoked all of the options under Readyshare including the FTP options.  The FTP options would not work, only the ReadyCloud option worked.  The direct http into the router kept asking for my user & password, which allowed me access into the router but not accessing the readyshare.  The screenshot I am sending this time is of my desktop.  In the window you can see under network the readyshare folder, then below that, the usb_storage folder.  This listing on the screen is actually the directory listing.

Why then does my laptop show "READYSHARE" and not the correct network listing like this screenshot from my desktop is driving me nuts.  At least I can access the readyshare directly from one source connected to router.

This one has me baffled to say the least.

Message 43 of 46
IrvSp
Master

I seem to be having a problem seeing what is going on?

Your screenshot is of Windows Explorer. Your NETWORK shows only one SHARE, READYSHARE? Not your computer nor others on the network?

I did ask if you were able to open he browser to the link in the READYSHARE tab to see the share. You didn't answer that?

Was this the answer to above, "Yes I was able to access the http readyshare via the netgear cloud on the laptop via wireless."?

Netgear Cloud??? What does that mean? Laptop has no relation to the desktop either.

Back to why you only see the READYSHARE on your PC. Do you have ANY drives SHARED? What ARE your network settings, Private, Public, etc.?

I'm also thinking machines could be using different Workgroups? In my case I use 'home' as the workgroup on the PC's and the READYSHARE entry (you have Workgroup) has to match?

"The direct http into the router kept asking for my user & password, which allowed me access into the router but not accessing the readyshare."???

This link, http://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares/ did that? Not for me:

================

192.168.1.1 - /

[To Parent Directory]

Friday, July      06, 2018  03:44 PM              30       folder1
   Friday, July      06, 2018  03:44 PM              18       folder2

I can click on those folders and 'drill down' into them.

I'm getting confused with all the devices, network cards, and what you are actually doing?

Let's work on one thing at a time. I'm pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with the network cards or wireless. It is either the USB drive or Windows 10 , maybe a combination.

Just pick one configuration, explain what you are not having work, what the configuration looks like and what error you get for what you are doing.

Message 44 of 46
Rojma
Luminary

Make sure your network connections are set to Private instead of Public. If your wireless connection works but the wired doesn't, it is probably because the wireless is set to Private and the wired is set to Public. If it is set to Public, it will block network shares.

Message 45 of 46
schumaku
Guru

@Beau602 wrote:

Yes I was able to access the http readyshare via the netgear cloud on the laptop via wireless.

The http://readyshare.routerlogin.net/shares is a pure local access via (W)LAN - like the simple routerlogin.com or routerloginnet this URL host name does resolve to the router LAN IP address, default is 192.168.1.1 (usually).

Similar, the [yourrouterDDNSname].mynetgear.com:[port]/shares is reachable from LAN and Internet (permitting the ISP does assign public routable IPv4 addresses, no carrier grade NAT, no IPv6 Lite) - but it's not WebDAV so no mounts are possible (unless I'm very wrong).

@Beau602 wrote:

I also invoked all of the options under Readyshare including the FTP options.  The FTP options would not work, only the ReadyCloud option worked.  

By rule of thumb, both FTP client and Windows Network Locations by using FTP should be possible if configured, for both the LAN acess by readyshare.routerlogin.net as well as the Internet access by [yourrouterDDNSname].mynetgear.com (again permitting a public routeable IPv4 address on the Internet/WAN port)

@Beau602 wrote:

The direct http into the router kept asking for my user & password, which allowed me access into the router but not accessing the readyshare.

The trailing /shares or /shares/ is key here - otherwise you will get the Wen Genie UI.

@Beau602 wrote:

Why then does my laptop show "READYSHARE" and not the correct network listing like this screenshot from my desktop is driving me nuts.  At least I can access the readyshare directly from one source connected to router.

Strange. So the NetBIOS based name discovery does work, or it's cached somehow. Beyond of the Network Location (it must be Private, as mentioned by a previous poster), the Client for Microsoft Networking must be enabled on the wireless interface for example.

Assuming the router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 - what happens if you type \\192.168.1.1\ <Enter> in the Windows Explorer status/path line? 

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E