R6700 ReadyShare drive not accessible after Win10 Wanna Cry SMB1 fix implemented

StanLenci
Aspirant

R6700 ReadyShare drive not accessible after Win10 Wanna Cry SMB1 fix implemented

After implementing the suggested "Wanna Cry" fix of disabling SMB1 in Win10 "Features" settings, I found that the USB drive attached to my R6700 Nighthawk is no longer visible. Enabling SMB1 makes it visible.  My R6700 has latest firmware V1.0.1.20_10.0.32 installed. Is there another setting I should be aware of?

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Re: R6700 ReadyShare drive not accessible after Win10 Wanna Cry SMB1 fix implemented

Hi StanLenci,

Please try this.

1. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Windows Credentials

2. Add a Windows Credential

3. Enter the directions to the router and the router's user name and password. See example below:

\\readyshare

admin

password

4. Click on OK

5. Check to see if you are able to access the drive via Windows Explorer

Message 2 of 46
StanLenci
Aspirant

Re: R6700 ReadyShare drive not accessible after Win10 Wanna Cry SMB1 fix implemented

Hi James

Thanks for your suggestion. I added \\readyshare under Windows Credentials as stated, turned off SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing in Windows Features then restarted my system.  Readyshare USB drive still was not visible.  Turned on SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing in Windows Features, restarted my system and the Readyshare USB is visible.  Any other suggestions?

Since the suggested Windows Credential change didn't fix the issue, should I remove it?

Message 3 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi StanLenci,

The SMB1.0/CIFS file sharing in Windows feature should be enable to allow local access to your network drive. This is what the poster on the link below did.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R8300-USB-Storage-not-recognized-b...

Message 4 of 46
StanLenci
Aspirant

Hi James.  

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my post. I found out SMB1 had to be turned on for my USB drive to be recognized.  BUT my concern is with SMB1 turned on, computers are vunerable to WannaCry . That's why a posted solution was to turn off SMB1, an antiquated methodology.  Is Netgear planning on moving away to this old methodology that's venerable to WannaCry?

Message 5 of 46
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a c6300 broadband router and have the same issue. 

That is with windows10  if i set winkey + r | appwiz.cpl | turn windows features on or off | smb 1.0/cifs file sharing support = unchecked i can no longer access my readyshare exposed usb thumbdrive.   If i then re-enable it my readyshare exposed usb thumbdrive becomes accessible again.  

q1 - Is there an ETA for a c6300 firmeware update that will enable readyshare use over current generation smb 2.0 protocol so i can turn off 1.0 and stop wanna cry exposure? 

q2 - Will this firmware update be one that i can apply or will it require my broadband cable internet provider, timewarner / spectrum, to go through testing and distribution of it to their customre connections?

Message 6 of 46
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

We are aware of the issue that disabling SMBv1 to protect against Wannacry malware causes when it comes to using ReadySHARE and are working on a solution but currently we do not have ETA when a fix will be available. For Cable products the FW will have to be certified and approve by ISPs before ISPs will deploy it.

Message 7 of 46
dls-support
Guide

Please tell us how to enable SMB2 in these Nighthawk routers. Microsoft is now disabling SMB1, and we have 50 of these deployed. The ReadyNAS servers have a setting that allows SMB2 to be enabled when enabling root SSH access. Can the same be done for the ReadyNAS server in this device? This is NOT a cable device so Netgear should be able to implement a fix without a lot of regulatory requirements. Please help!
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 46
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dls-supportin my windows 10 fall creators update installs i've noticed that under appwiz.cpl | turn windows features on or off | SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support they have now broken that component out into Automatic Removal, Client and Server component option with only the first two selected.  My understanding is wanna cry smb1 exploit relies on smb 1.0/cifs server being enabled so this now gives you a way to have smb 1.0/cifs client enabled to support talking to readyshare exposed shares while at the same time not exposing your machines to wanna cry. 

Message 9 of 46
dls-support
Guide

Nighthawk R7000 Router ReadySHARE should support SMB2

The issue really is that Microsoft is now disabling SMB1 protocols in their fall patching of all Windows machines, so anything that is being shared over the network using SMB1 protocol disappears from the network, namely, any USB drive mounted by readySHARE on the router. I'm sure I'm not the only one that needs a workaround or a firmware patch by Netgear that will mount the USB drives as SMB2 or SMB3 so that Windows computers can connect.

Message 10 of 46
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Router ReadySHARE should support SMB2

You are not the only person. My desire as well is for a netgear [ c6300 ] firmware update to be provided to my cable internet provider, spectrum, so that i can talk to readyshare exposed shares using new smb direct protocols that don't have the security exposure and not doubt are more performant.

Message 11 of 46
dls-support
Guide

We are looking at throwing away over $10,000 worth of Netgear equipment if Netgear doesn't fix this problem that has been festering now since before Wannacry. Our specialized application requires USB-mounted storage drives be shared over the network. Now Microsoft is forcing our hand. How about "Root Enable SSH Access" to the OS, and allowing us to change smb.conf. Anyone from Netgear monitoring?

Message 12 of 46
antinode
Guru

> [...] How about "Root Enable SSH Access" to the OS, and allowing us to
> change smb.conf. [...]

I'm not a Samba expert, so I know nothing, but you may be assuming
that the Samba on your devices is less than a decade old.  Around here,
for example (D7000, V1.0.1.50_1.0.1):

# /usr/sbin/smbd --version
Version 3.0.22

I wouldn't want to bet on a change to /tmp/etc/samba/smb.conf being
sufficient.  (But what do I know?)

Details on gaining (some, Telnet, not SSH) access:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1339116

Message 13 of 46
dls-support
Guide

Thank you for this. However, I am unable to get "NetgearTelnetEnable" to work using either Windows or Linux. With Windows "The application was unable to start correctly", and with Linux  "cannot execute binary file:  Exec format error" running Debian. In any case, it's not clear how I would be able to edit the smb.conf file to solve this problem, or even whether or not that file even exists on the R7000 OS. Bottom line, I am wasting a lot of time trying to solve this problem. I find myself wondering why no one from Netgear can provide some insight into a solution to this problem, which is becoming common to all, now that Microsoft is turning off SMB1 through standard patching. If SMB2 functionality is available on the router OS, why not just enable it and/or require it?

Message 14 of 46
antinode
Guru

> I am unable to get "NetgearTelnetEnable" to work using either Windows or
> Linux. With Windows "The application was unable to start correctly", and
> with Linux  "cannot execute binary file:  Exec format error" running
> Debian.

What, exactly, are you doing with what, exactly, which you got from
where, exactly?  (My stuff (http://antinode.info/nte) doesn't supply any
GNU/Linux executable; you'd need to build it yourself, which would
normally preclude any message like "Exec format error".)

> In any case, it's not clear how I would be able to edit the smb.conf
> file to solve this problem, or even whether or not that file even exists
> on the R7000 OS.

Around here (D7000, V1.0.1.50_1.0.1):

# find / -name smb.conf
/tmp/etc/samba.conf/smb.conf
/usr/etc/samba.conf/smb.conf

> Bottom line, I am wasting a lot of time trying to solve this problem.

Trying to deal with the shortcomings of these devices can be a
full-time occupation.

> I find myself wondering [...]

Welcome to the club.

Message 15 of 46
dls-support
Guide

Looks like the latest firmware for the R7000 (R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.9.12) finally addresses the SMB1 issue. I turned off SMB1 on my Windows 10 computer and can now connect to a USB thumb drive shared by ReadySHARE on that router. You may want to check your latest firmware version for your device.
Message 16 of 46
Venosaur
Tutor

Hello, 

I have also question. Why R7000 doesn't update automatic. I turn on this function ? 

Regards 

Message 17 of 46
Rojma
Tutor

Any word on when a firmware update will be released for the Nighthawk X4 R7500v2 to add SMB2 support to resolve the problem now that other router models are getting an update for the issue?

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 18 of 46
gavanj
Aspirant

I believe I am also having the same issue with my R6700v2 router. I can read files already on my usb plugged into the router via readyshare DLNA, but I can't write to the usb.

Message 19 of 46
Rojma
Tutor

I can confirm that a recent firmware update on the Nighthawk X4S R7800 seems to have added SMB2 support because my ReadyShare started to work again after performing a firmware update. Not sure about the R7500v2 that I was previously using. I upgraded to the R7800 recentely and converted the R7500v2 to a WAP so I am not using ReadyShare on the R7500v2 anymore.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 20 of 46
gavanj
Aspirant

Thanks, would that make me vulnerable to wannacry? My router firmware is up to date

Message 21 of 46
Rojma
Tutor

@gavanj wrote:

Thanks, would that make me vulnerable to wannacry? My router firmware is up to date

Updating the firmware on your router is not going to protect you from wannacry. Only patching Windows and/or disabling SMB (1) in the Programs and Features control panel will protect you from that. Updating the firmware on the router just simply adds support for additional newer and more secure versions of SMB (2/3) which are not vunerable to wannacry. I do not think it removes support for SMB 1.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 22 of 46
Rojma
Tutor

@Case850 wrote:

@Rojma wrote:

I can confirm that a recent firmware update on the Nighthawk X4S R7800 seems to have added SMB2 support because my ReadyShare started to work again after performing a firmware update. Not sure about the R7500v2 that I was previously using. I upgraded to the R7800 recentely and converted the R7500v2 to a WAP so I am not using ReadyShare on the R7500v2 anymore.

Can you clarify if it is SMB2 or SMB3?

The Microsoft documentation states:

The SMB version 2.02, 2.1, 3.0, 3.02, and 3.1.1 features are still fully supported and included by default as part of the SMBv2 binaries.

Honestly I am not sure if it added support for SMB 2.x, SMB 3.x, or both. All I know is that after upgrading the firmware, ReadyShare started to work again with SMB 1 disabled in Windows. Since ReadShare previously only worked when SMB 1 was enabled in Windows and would stop working if SMB 1 was disabled in Windows, I have to assume that the firmware upgrade added either SMB 2.x, SMB 3.x, or both. Unfortunately the realease notes/change log do not clarify.

Message 23 of 46
skyrunr
Aspirant

I'm sure glad I never deployed this to one of my business customers!  I bought this router just for the usb sharing feature.  It is working fine with our old Windows 7 laptop, but not with any of my several Windows 10 machines.  It didn't work regardless of SMB settings or everything else I tried.  $90 just to ask NetGear for help after on year of ownership will stop me from ever purchasing another Netgear product.  I just don't have the time to spend with technical support either.  Time to get a real NAS I guess.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 24 of 46
IrvSp
Master

I also hit this problem, but I was able to solve it.

Windows 10, especially the latest V1709 (Creator Fall Update) as well as V1703 (Creator Update) are the cause. In some instances it contrary to what a MS blog says, SMB1 may be turned off on the PC.  See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve.... However, it appears that under V1703 on my PC SMB1 was turned off. Also on a CLEAN install of V1709 SMB1 was installed on 2 of the 3 components, Server was NOT.

What also happened is this does cause problems with the Master Browser if all connected are not running SMB1 I found. Normally before a PC starts, the router is the Master Browser and keeps the list of shares. Once a PC comes up it will try to be the Master Browser and take control. Same for another PC  coming up, and this started with V1703, see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd0af6aa-51ec-477a-8c81-888a4e60bd94/master-browse....

Until I figured this out the ONLY way I could see the shares was to use the NET USE command and assign a drive letter to the device in question, even the USB drive on the router. NET USE itself did not work even if SMB1 was running on that PC.

The only fix that works, SMB1 running on all PC's... but the Server isn't needed to be installed.

Message 25 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements