Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700 goes offline

pc2k17
Prodigy

R6700 goes offline

Just picked up the R6700v3 Nighthawk AC1750 Smart wifi router 5 days ago. Every day, at least once a day, it goes offline. It appears as if all ethernet, and 5 ghz connected devices lose internet and connection to the router, but the 2.4 devices stay connected to router, but no internet. The app also reports router offline even when trying the access anywhere feature. I can't tell if the router is just losing internet or it's crashing/freezing up. Cable modem is still online and connected to internet when this happens.

Today it went offline while I was out of house, which meant smart things went offline, which meant my AC never triggered to turn on based on a smartthings temp sensor. So when I got home it was 90 degrees in the house. I have pets and that can't ever happen again. My old router, netgear N300 WNR2000v3 had no issues with this setup. In fact the last time I had to reboot that router was 2 years ago.

New router had all the default settings. (I’ve since changed a few things)

My setup:
Arlo cameras base station - ethernet (5 cameras connect to the arlo hub, none are wifi)
Smart Things hub - ethernet (58 devices connect to the smart things hub, none are wifi)
Samsung TV - ethernet
4 Port unmanged switch with three computers plugged into it - ethernet
(Note: all ethernet devices are setup with static IP's in the router)

14 LIFX lights - 2.4 ghz wifi
Weather station - 2.4 ghz wifi
Security system - 2.4 ghz wifi (cell based system, uses wifi as backup)
Samsung phone - 5 ghz wifi
(Note: 2.4 & 5 have different names, same word but the 5 has -5G after it, the router did it that way so I left it)

Changed today:
Put the TV on 5ghz wifi, removed the ethernet
Disabled WPS pin
Disabled 20/40 coexistence (since 2.4 wifi was very slow)

Any ideas on how I can get this to stop going offline? Any help is appreciated.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: R6700 goes offline

I'd try the factory reset and reinstall. You can use the app for setup. 

If that doesn't help, then try version 1.0.3.66 of the firmware. Install that, do a factory reset, then install it again and disable auto-updates. 

the newer versions have netgear armor and I've seen a few that didn't play nicely with it. 

Is it a new purchase? If so, you've got 90 days of free support from netgear (from date of purchase). 

You can click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you should be able to check warranty/support status. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware version is on the router? 

did you try a simple factory reset and reinstall? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to?

Message 2 of 7
pc2k17
Prodigy

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.106_10.0.80

I did not try a factory reset. I used the app and scanned the QR to set it set up the first time, so if I reset do I use the app again to set it up?

Modem is from Spectrum, it a Hitron Model EN2251
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'd try the factory reset and reinstall. You can use the app for setup. 

If that doesn't help, then try version 1.0.3.66 of the firmware. Install that, do a factory reset, then install it again and disable auto-updates. 

the newer versions have netgear armor and I've seen a few that didn't play nicely with it. 

Is it a new purchase? If so, you've got 90 days of free support from netgear (from date of purchase). 

You can click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you should be able to check warranty/support status. 

Message 4 of 7
pc2k17
Prodigy

Thanks for the help. I'll have to decide what to do. I can't have the router go down when I'm away from my home and resetting now only gives my less than a day to test. So I either reset and hope, or hook the old router back up and I wait till next weekend to try a reset and or firmware downgrade, or just return it.

It is a new purchase and I already have a netgear account. I only bought it 5 days ago. I'm an IT guy and I never found any support from a large tech company worth much. That's why I come to the forums first. Member support is usually much better. But maybe I'll try their support as well, can't hurt.

Message 5 of 7
pc2k17
Prodigy

Ok, I'm going to do the reset today. I forgot, since I'm an old school smart things user, that in the new app you can turn routines off. I'll simply turn the air conditioner and de-humidifier routines off in smart things and let the thermostats on the units control them. Then I can monitor the router and if it does go offline at least the climate in the house stays good, just might have lights and such offline.
Thanks for the help. I'll post back in a few days with an update.
Message 6 of 7
pc2k17
Prodigy

Three days after the reset and all is well. No issues at all. Looks like that fixed it. Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7