R6700 not achieveing ISP speeds

CodyRolph
Aspirant

R6700 not achieveing ISP speeds

I recently decided to ditch my Xfinity modem/router combo to achieve greater wifi speeds and reliability. I pay for 150mbps download speed. I bought an Arris Surfboard SB6190, which claims 1.4gbps. Overkill, but only $8 more expensive then the 6184 I had arrived to purchase.

I also bought a nighthawk R6700, as it claimed the same speeds. I have setup the router, with QoS disabled, and wpa2 security only. And I'm only seeing download speeds of maximum 115mbps over wifi.

With the laptop wired directly to the router over ethernet, my download was 170mbps.

Should I disable WMM also? The first time I tried it didn't appear to make a difference. This is my first experience with anything IT related, so I came to ask those of you who are more familiar with these systems.

Thanks in advance
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: R6700 not achieveing ISP speeds

Greetings,

I have a similar setup.

Comcast 300 / 12

Arris Surfboard 6190

R8000P

However, I am getting full wireless speeds wired and wireless.

Is the reduced speed you are seeing on the 2.4 or 5Ghz network?

What FW version is your router using?  Did you update it, if so, how was the upgrade performed?  Automaitically, Genie, Manually?

Please ensure the following is disabled:

SMART Connect

QoS

Traffic Meter

Once the above settings have been disabled, please gracefully restart the router.  Reconnect and retest your bandwidth.

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 10

@CodyRolph wrote:
And I'm only seeing download speeds of maximum 115mbps over wifi.

There are two sides to a wifi communication link, the router as a source and the client as a receiver.

What wifi client are we talking about here?

Does it get better speeds on different wifi sources?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 10

PS What firmware version do you have on the R6700 device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 10
CodyRolph
Aspirant

Firmware is V1.0.2.62_10.0.46
The update was through the genie on initial setup.
Under the QoS tab, WMM is turned on for both frequencies, but QoS upload and download are turned off.
I've been testing speeds with a galaxy note 8, an iPhone 8 plus, a 2017 macbook pro, and an ASUS laptop that I don't have the model number for, but about 2 years ago it was new, and a higher end model.

2.4 ghz speeds are lower then the 5ghz, but exterm the 5ghz is not consistent in download speeds.

I also do not see the smart connect setting, to ensure it is disabled. The traffic meter is disabled.
Message 5 of 10

@CodyRolph wrote:
Firmware is V1.0.2.62_10.0.46

That is not firmware for the R6700. Perhaps you have either the R6700-v2 or the R6700-v3. They are not the same.

Check which it is on the label.

model number

If there is no "V" number, then it is V1.

Just another user.

Message 6 of 10
CodyRolph
Aspirant

I do have the r6700v3.

That model did not auto populate when typing in which router I have. Only the r6700 and r6700v2.
Message 7 of 10

The database is always out of date, which is why it helps to put the model in the body of the text.

As you have the newest firmware, you probably installed it yourself. Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Do your wifi clients perform  better on different wifi sources?

Do your "slow" wifi speeds get in the way of what you are doing? Or are you just making speed measurements for the fun of it?

Just another user.

Message 8 of 10
myersw
Master

While the reset after a firmware upgrade seems to be the way to fix things, if the firmware was developed correctly this would not be needed except in rare occasions. 

HOWEVER, I agree that as things are now that is probably going to fix most cases. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 10
CodyRolph
Aspirant

In this instance, the firmware update came before the setup, as it prompted me right away.

I have not tested my client's on other sources, because out of curiosity I checked what other people have seen with these phones. Which was well into the 300s for both devices.

My low speeds are not interfering with what I'm trying to achieve with my internet. My concern is why most of the time I can't get the speeds I purchased when both the modem and router are advertised nearly 10x what I'm paying for.

I will try a factory reset to see if that resolves it.

On occasion I'll get speeds as low as 40 if I check it randomly. Are there instances I should expect it to just not achieve full bandwidth? It's okay if that is the case, I just don't understand it
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements