CMDC
Aspirant

R6700 v2 Qos Help Request

Good day,

I'm having issues and doubts with the Qos feature on my new R6700 v2 with updated firmware, no betas.

My speeds are consistent but very low relative to other country's available commercial speeds: 4 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. The main activities in my household are Netflix Streaming and online gaming many times simultaenously. with this speeds, it is vital that traffic shaping works in order to reduce latency for acceptable online gaming sessions. My normal ping times in Titanfall 2 are 70-90 ms, but with Netflix streams it spikes to >900 ms during buffering. Netflix streaming is unaffected, only online games.

Qos is set up as follows:

WMM enabled in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. 

Bandwidth Control is on with 1000 Kbps.

Internet Access QOS is on as well with Qos Policies set by device, giving Highest priority to my gaming laptop by MAC Address and High priority to Smart TV, other devices are not included in the Table rules.

Laptop is connected to the 5GHz and Smart TV connected to 2.4 GHz in unsaturated channels.

As i understand, WMM is Qos for Wifi connections that prioritze voice, video and other traffic types in that order. Will the WMM Qos interfere with the other Qos table rules? Do this table rules only apply to the ethernet ports in a wired connection?

I have not tried connecting via ethernet as the tracert shows ping times of <1ms when pinging google.com from my laptop to the router.

My network structure is Wireless Devices (via wifi) -> Router -> ISP modem

Message 1 of 6
CMDC
Aspirant

Re: R6700 v2 Qos Help Request

Also, how does WMM handle traffic from online games over wifi? In what category does online gaming traffic falls into for WMM Qos queueing? 

My gaming laptop is the only device using the 5GHz frequency band. My impression so far is that WMM is affecting the online games because it is setting lower priority than video streaming which hugs all the bandwidth so it spikes everytime the smart TV buffers and, even though it is specified in the internet access control that my laptop should have higher priority, it is being bypassed by WMM Qos settings. 

Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi CMDC,

What is the firmware version of the router?

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi CMDC,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 4 of 6
CMDC
Aspirant

Hello James, thank you for replying. I'm currently running the firmware version: V1.2.0.14_1.0.1 where the issue persists. my ping spikes improved relative to the original 900 ms spikes but still not acceptable in the 300 ms.

Message 5 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements