Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700 v3 Firmware Update Disaster

djhalnon
Star

R6700 v3 Firmware Update Disaster

I've already posted this elsewhere, but I'm putting this here an additional time, because it really needs Netgear's attention, and no one has ever posted anything close to a meaningful fix. 

The V1.0.4.122_10.0.95 firmware update on R6700 v3 routers disables its Web interface. Once installed, these routers cannot be managed via the Web, either using HTTP: or HTTPS:. 

The router will continue to work as a gateway, as already configured, but its configuration can never be changed afterward, since its interface is inaccessible. 

The Nighthawk app does not work. No Web browser, on any OS (Windows, Mac OS, or flavor of Linux), works. The router is administratively dead. 

Also ... factory resets will not, by definition, work, since that will purge them of configuration information but leave them administratively inaccessible. Restarting one, in this state, will lead to a situation where the router cannot even be configured to use DHCP on its WAN side and act as a plain-vanilla router, since the wizard that allows one to set it up is not accessible. 

I've seen mention of a supposed ability to upload an older firmware via TFTP, but have confirmed this does not work, period. The router refuses to load the firmware file. I'm not sure its TFTP capability even works since I have never been able to get one to connect with a TFTP-serving computer on my network. 

If anyone knows of an actual solution which does not involve 1) a factory reset of the router, which is a disater waiting to happen, or 2) the TFTP protocol, which does not work with these things, I'd love to know about it. No other responses will be accepted. Thank you. 

I'm going to put this in bold: Do not tell me to factory-reset this router, or use the non-functional TFTP method to change firmware. I am not listening to any such "solutions," because they do not exist in this case. Thank you for your understanding. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
pfahey36
Aspirant

I found that I was able to log into my router using this address:  https://192.168.1.1/start.htm   

If I type the IP address without the start.htm it doesn't work.  I am not able to use the nighthawk app though, which I find dissapointing.  Hope this works for you.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW updated on the Router? Wired or wireless connection? Manual or autoupdate?

A factory reset will be needed to check to see if you can gain access to the routers web page at 192.168.1.1. I would disconnect the router from the ISP modem as well and use just 1 wired PC connected to the router. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Can-t-Access-R6700v3-after-firmware-update/m...

Message 3 of 5
djhalnon
Star

1. It was updated using a wired connection, not that that matters since the router connected to Netgear servers to get the update. 

2. I believe I stated that I am not doing a factory reset on this router. I also explained, very clearly, why: It will kill it altogether. It is not a solution in this case and I am not doing it. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset would be needed as a valid troubleshooting setup. You can save off the current configuration to file prior to the reset to save time after ther reset. Otherwise, you'll need to contact NG support:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7