Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700 won't access Seagate 5tb through usb 3.0, only usb 2.0 hub

barbaric
Tutor

R6700 won't access Seagate 5tb through usb 3.0, only usb 2.0 hub

I have a nighthawk r6700 router that works fine with several hard drives I've tried (up to 4tb).  Today I bought a Seagate 5tb Backup Plus, but the router does not recognize it when connected directly to the USB 3.0 port with a cable.  Interestingly, it will still detect other drives plugged into the back of the Seagate 5tb (with the Seagate acting like a hub).  I tried various ways of partitioning the Seagate, but it would never be recognized.  I finally connected the R6700 to a USB2.0 hub, and connected the Seagate to the 2.0 hub; then the router recognized the seagate 5tb drive.  So it looks like for some reason the Seagate can only connect it's drive via USB 2.0.

I looked at the list on the web page of compatible drives, but the router R6700 is not listed.

On this forum some have spoken about Router firmware problems; my firmware is Firmware Version  V1.0.0.26_10.0.26

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi barbaric,

You can check the R7000. They share the same list. If its not on the list, try to use a different USB 3.0 drive just to make sure that the USB 3.0 port is working.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi barbaric,

Let me check on this inquiry. I will get back to you for any update.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 11
barbaric
Tutor

I exchanged the Seagate Drive for a new identical one, and it has the same behavior.  Although both Seagates could be defective, I think it is more likely that something else is going on.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
Cool1
Aspirant

Having the same problem with seagate 8tb hub
Message 4 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Make sure you are not using a USB hub since the router does not fully support it. It could be the reason why it did not work with 3.0.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 11
barbaric
Tutor

Hi,

I was using it without a hub, and it would't work.  I did try it with as USB 2.0 hub, and that is when it worked.  I then tried it with a USB 3.0 hub, and it still didn't work.

Thanks,

Ric

Message 6 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi barbaric,

Check the KB article below for the compatible drives.

http://kb.netgear.com/18985/ReadySHARE-USB-Drives-Compatibility-List?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 7 of 11
barbaric
Tutor

The main problem with the KB article is that the router I have, R6700, is not listed.

Message 8 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi barbaric,

You can check the R7000. They share the same list. If its not on the list, try to use a different USB 3.0 drive just to make sure that the USB 3.0 port is working.

Message 9 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi barbaric,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 10 of 11
barbaric
Tutor

Sure enough, the seagate drive I got isn't on the list.  I did check with a different (4tb) 3.0 drive, and it worked.  So maybe it just can't handle drives bigger than 5tb.  thanks.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7