× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700AX WiFi 2.4 Connection Issue

bspngrout
Aspirant

R6700AX WiFi 2.4 Connection Issue

I have a Canon MX922 printer connecting to my R6700AX router via the 2.4G Wi-Fi. Every time the printer turns on after being off for a while, it's not able to connect to my 2.4G network. It's able to see the SSID in the list, but says unable to connect to it even though the password is correct. I would have to get into the router admin page, turn off the SSID broadcast and turn it back on, then my printer is able to connect to it.

What could be causing such problem?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6700AX WiFi 2.4 Connection Issue

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

How is the wifi settings configured? 

What security modes are you using?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz.

How is advanced Wifi settings configured?

Can AX mode on 2.4Ghz be disabled? 

Contact the printers Mfr for additional help and information regarding there product as well. 

Message 2 of 6
bspngrout
Aspirant

Firmware V1.0.10.110

Wireless Settings:

- Enable AX: checked

2.4G:

- Enable SSID Broadcast: checked

- Channel: Auto

- Mode: Up to 600 Mbps

- Security: WPA2-Personal

5G:

- Enable SSID Broadcast: checked

- Channel: 153

- Mode: Up to 1200 Mbps

- Security Options: WPA2-Personal

Advanced Wireless Settings:

- Enable Wireless Router Radio: checked

- CTS/RTS Threshold: 2347

- Preamble Mode: Automatic

- Transmit Power Control: 100%

- Turn off wireless signal by schedule: unchecked

- Enable MU-MIMO: checked

- Disable PMF: unchecked

It took me a while to come back on this because I tried the 2.4G connection via different devices. It turns out that after I shut down my printer for a while, none of my devices, including my iPhone, my iPad and my laptop, can connect to the 2.4G network. So it doesn't seem like an issue particularly to my printer.

Because my printer is the only device that connects to 2.4G, while all the others are connected to 5G . Once it's shut down, the 2.4G is unused. It feels to me that the 2.4G would turn into some sort of sleep mode after a while. Now I force my iPhone to connect to the 2.4G so that there's always a live connection. Now the issue is gone. My printer can always connect when it's turned on.

Is it true that there's a sleep mode? If yes, is there a way to disable it or any other solution please?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact the printers Mfr to see about this sleep mode on there product. 

Wifi on routers is always ON and broadcasting. 

Message 4 of 6

@bspngrout wrote:

I have a Canon MX922 printer connecting to my R6700AX router via the 2.4G Wi-Fi. Every time the printer turns on after being off for a while, it's not able to connect to my 2.4G network. It's able to see the SSID in the list, but says unable to connect to it even though the password is correct.

I can't find the MX922 on the Canon site.

You are using the Canon IJ Network Tool?

Message 5 of 6
bspngrout
Aspirant

Below is the MX922 website from Canon. I am printing documents through the print options in Word or Acrobat, or scanning via the control panel on the printer.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-...

To make it clear again, the same issue occurs to all my devices, such as iPhone 12, iPad mini 6, a Lenovo laptop and a Nest camera, not just my printer. The printer is in discussion because it can only connect to 2.4G while all others are connected to 5G.

I understand there's no "sleep mode" in the router that's why I am using the word "sort of" because it really behaves like a sleep mode.

For example, when I try to print it would say my printer is not connected. Then I go to the router config page to do something about the 2.4G, such as disabling and then enabling again the SSID broadcast, the printer connection is back and the print goes through automatically without any additional action.

The same thing happens to my iPhone. I can't connect to the 2.4G and it uses the wireless (I forced ignore the 5G on my phone for testing). Then I do the same thing on the SSID broadcast, and my phone connects to the Wi-Fi by itself.

Now I am forcing my iPhone to use the 2.4G, so that the 2.4G is always used, then my printer is working perfectly fine. Given all the above, I really don't think it's a problem with my printer, but rather some setting in the router that I don't understand.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7