Re: R6700V2 w/ EX7500 | Connectivity Issues - Wifi, Internet Drop Outs

Scre
Aspirant

R6700V2 w/ EX7500 | Connectivity Issues - Wifi, Internet Drop Outs

Hi,

I've been having my R6700v2 for quite some time now and it served me well until now. I recently moved into a 3000sqft home and had the router located in the most central location. It worked well, but on both ends of the house I experienced weak wifi signals.

To get better coverage throughout and because I got a good deal I purchased two ex7500 mesh wifi extenders and placed them near the two dead spots. So far so good; wifi coverage is now excellent wherever I go.

Unfortunately my excitement didn't last very long. I soon started experiencing connectivity issues that I've never encountered before. At seemingly random times, but especially when turning on devices or waking them, I lose internet access for that specific device. Sometimes I lose the wifi connection all together for that device. Trying to reconnect android phones or laptops for instance, it'll either connect to the router with "no internet access" or tell me there is an issue with IP assignment and won't let me reconnect to the SSID at all. It happens to devices near the extenders but also to those right next to the router. Sometimes I feel the extenders are just being skipped and sometimes everything just "breaks down".

Restarting the router USUALLY fixes the issue, but often times it feels I'm just pushing it to the next device.

It is very hard to troubleshoot for me as it is so random. Sometimes I'm fine for a couple days, other days I need to restart the router multiple times a day. (Funnily enough as I'm writing this my Ring alarm just told me it switched to cellular backup.)

The extenders are set up in mesh mode, so all devices share the same SSID with smart 2.4/5ghz connection enabled. I tried assigning a static IP to the extenders but that didn't help. Again, everything worked fine before I installed the extenders. Are there any settings I may need to enable now that I'm using extenders?

Any help is highly appreciated!
Model: EX7500|AC2200 Nighthawk X4S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Try disabling the "onessid" feature on one of the extenders and running it with its own ssid. 

Extenders work great when theres 1 of them. But when you have more than 1 and they can see each others ssid (when using same ssid) they can occasionally connect to each other and not to the router. this causes drops and issues. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> SXK30-> GS716v2-> Arris W31 x2-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 7
Scre
Aspirant

Thank you, I will most certainly try this. It does defeat the purpose of a mesh extender 100% and is not why I bought those things (especially considering the use of smart devices in my network) but I understand the issue you're bringing up. It makes me wonder if it would be enough to turn on access control and make sure the extenders aren't allowed to connect to each other... will try that.
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

I don't believe access control would work for that. 

Yeah, it half defeats the purpose of mesh extenders. I usually recommend people move to an actual mesh system if they're needing more than 1 extender. 

Message 4 of 7
Scre
Aspirant

Tried adjusting the access control but that's easier said than done, since you can't manually block devices on the ex7500. Only currently connected devices can be blocked. I was lucky enough to catch one extender being connected to the other and got to block it. No luck the other way round. Will test this now to see if that makes a difference, but it might take a while until I know this randomly appearing issue is resolved or not.

It's a shame I was told by netgear that the extenders would be a fit for my set up before I bought them. I wish they would acknowledge the issue with their "mesh" extenders and offer help with a complete system swap to switch to a true mesh system - like a trade in. Do they do something like it?
Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Scre wrote:
Tried adjusting the access control but that's easier said than done, since you can't manually block devices on the ex7500. Only currently connected devices can be blocked. I was lucky enough to catch one extender being connected to the other and got to block it. No luck the other way round. Will test this now to see if that makes a difference, but it might take a while until I know this randomly appearing issue is resolved or not.

It's a shame I was told by netgear that the extenders would be a fit for my set up before I bought them. I wish they would acknowledge the issue with their "mesh" extenders and offer help with a complete system swap to switch to a true mesh system - like a trade in. Do they do something like it?

And the extenders will work. Certain conditions can cause problems which from the sounds of it you have. But the fix it so set a specific ssid for each extender and they still work.  You can't expect to achieve a full mesh system by just adding a mesh extender. If it worked like that, there wouldn't be systems like orbi/eero. 

Message 6 of 7
Scre
Aspirant

Unfortunately I don't see any exclusions, caused by adding a second extender, on the product page. So unfortunately it is not working as advertised after setting my expectations to work like a mesh network.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements