Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700V3 email logs thru outlook smtp.office365.com

R6700V3 email logs thru outlook smtp.office365.com

R6700V3 using V1.0.4.120_10.0.91 firmware, It's making me crazy - what gives with this?  When I setup the email log feature, sending the log results in this:

"[email failed] STARTTLS is required to send mail CH0PR04CA0002 .namprd04 .prod .outlook .com, Wednesday, Sep 29,2021 08:36:05"

I see this is the security method in my email client but how to specify it to the R6700 email setup is beyond me. I have been through all of the email setting for my outlook account and every other of my systems (I have 3 that are systems using the email but that are not coumpters) work. How do I get this thing to work.  Also on a related issues with this version, the attached devices and the authorized devices disagree the front page attached devices is correct and agress with the authorized table. The R6700 has been diconnecting from my LB1120 modem ever since this new firmware version was downloaded.  Thanks

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions

I did that some time ago when we were discussing server IDs and port numbers, looked again this A,M., In my feable way of seeing things MS Outlook (both desktop client and online outlook) settings provide less data than the screen shots I included this morning.

Folks is this hunt worth the effort?  I started this out because I wanted to chase some event and thought the log would be a good place to look and since I found the email function in the security tab and the send email in the log page I thought why not? It beats cut and paste.

Well I was wrong, cut and paste is much faster, even if you do need to reformat the output.

So since this dog don't hunt what say we keep the puppy on the porch and find something more interesting to do?

Remember there really are such things as insurmountable oportunities...

Best and Warmest regards to ALL for your valiant efforts.

johnmuledeere

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 24

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router. 

Message 2 of 24

Nice try - no cigar.  The LB1120 is a cellular only modem.  It is set to "Router" mode that according to Netgear disables all ISP intercepts and is a clear pass-through to the R6700V3 WIFI Router.  The entire system, end to end has undergone both factory resets and cold starts.  The Netgear software and firmware as I indicated are at current levels.  I do appreciate your efforts to help resolve this thing. Please keep trying.  The original rejection by outlook looks like a simple setting.  I just can't find it.

Thanks

Johnmuledeere

Message 3 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@Johnmuledeere wrote:

Nice try - no cigar.  The LB1120 is a cellular only modem.  It is set to "Router" mode that according to Netgear disables all ISP intercepts and is a clear pass-through to the R6700V3 WIFI Router.  The entire system, end to end has undergone both factory resets and cold starts.  The Netgear software and firmware as I indicated are at current levels.  I do appreciate your efforts to help resolve this thing. Please keep trying.  The original rejection by outlook looks like a simple setting.  I just can't find it.

Thanks

Johnmuledeere

Recommend you double check your definition of router mode function.  Attached is a snip from the LB1120 manual with a very different definition.  If you want to use your R6700V3 Wi-Fi router connected to your cell modem, you need to configure your modem to bridge mode.  The most you have to lose in bridge mode is that it does not work.  Just where you are now.

Message 4 of 24

I was wrong. I misunderstood the short description on the 1120 page.  I set it as you recommended and as your screen snip documented. Your efforts are appreciated.  I changed the 1120 setting, rebooted,and went into the R6700 and reapplied the email settings then went to the logs and sent the log to my email. 

Progress!

We now have a different error message, as follows: [email failed] Send hello first [CH0PR13CA0052 .namprd13 .prod .outlook .com], Saturday, Oct 09,2021 07:54:40

any idea what a "hello" is?

You now receive the cigar.

Thanks

Johnmuledeere

Message 5 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@Johnmuledeere wrote:

Progress!

We now have a different error message, as follows: [email failed] Send hello first [CH0PR13CA0052 .namprd13 .prod .outlook .com], Saturday, Oct 09,2021 07:54:40

any idea what a "hello" is?

The e-mail settings on my R7800 are under Advanced -> Security -> E-mail.

Attached is a snip from the Microsoft Outlook.com web site.  Make sure you use the same port number as indicated under SMTP.  As a test you should also check the configuration that your e-mail server requires authentication and put in your e-mail user name and password.

Message 6 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Beyond of what @Kitsap posted, be aware that if you are using 2FA with your Outlook account, a dedicated App Password is required - because of the normal password would trigger a 2FA authentication if the SMTP sender can handle it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support...

Message 7 of 24

Yes. I'm setup that way. Also uses single authentication user id and password are set. Just for grins I changed my MS password and set it in Netgear and my other emaol client.  All work with the new pw except Netgear.  Same message "hello" error

Again thank you for you above and beyond assistance.

Johnmuledeere

Message 8 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Have severa NEtgear and many other devices sending logs and the likes using the Outlook 365 SMTP - granted, all with 2FA and app passwords in place. Completely flawless. Convinced the R6700v3 can do the very same...

Share the complete details on your SMTP server config please, including the primary e-mail, outgoing email server, port number, username, ...  Hide username (except the domain) and the password (it's by default).

Message 9 of 24

Your probably right.

My outlook is default, exactly what MS set it up as.  I don't tinker with things that work.

Enough of y'all have sited 2FA, and app passswords. I have no idea what these are, I wouldn't know a 2FA (if your talking hex in EBCDIC I know) or app (I have nothing using apps as are commonly refered to) password from semifore.  I us my plain old MS login email address and password for outlook. I use their smtp server and default 587 port I didn't set these up, they did, also single authentication.  I use it also for Thunderbird, SimpiSafe and Amcrest the same way and nobody complains.

As I said you are probably right, regretfully I can't supply you with the requested data since it violates every sense I have of unacceptable risk.

Regards and Thank You

johnmuledeere

Message 10 of 24
Kitsap
Master

The acronym 2FA stands for two factor authentication.  If you don't use it, that is fine.  In general I have found that phone apps and Netgear routers do not mix well.

The last suggestion I would have is to try the POP port of 995 with the POP server name of outlook.office365.com.  All that is left is to try the IMAP port and server settings.

Message 11 of 24

I use single authentication and the only phone I have flips.  I use IMAP since I want the option to access my old mail from various platforms and clients so we are still slightly better off than when we started.

Thank You for your assistance.

Regards

johnmuledeere

Message 12 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@Kitsap wrote:

The acronym 2FA stands for two factor authentication.  If you don't use it, that is fine.  In general I have found that phone apps and Netgear routers do not mix well.

Yes on the 2FA - and no on anything else. It's not a Netgear problem that the simple basic SMTP submission (being without an authentication as it was possible in the past to port 25/TCP) was substituted by the correct standard port for SMTP submission [ideally 587/TCP], requiring authentication, including the correct username (sometimes the username only, sometimes the full e-mail address), and last but not least the last hurdle (which apparently does not apply here) if 2FA is in the play and users neet to fetch a so-called App Password for devices not supporting 2FA for each application, e.g. each router. Last hurdle are some overly "smart" ISPs capturing all the SMTP 25/TCP traffic and redirect to their own SMTP submission system. That's why sticking on the default 25/TCP is typically no more possible (while most emil providers require using one of the two submission ports anyway. The simple SMTP handler can deal with implicit TLS (465/TCP) and explicit security (587/TCP) in a transparent way.

@Kitsap wrote:

The last suggestion I would have is to try the POP port of 995 with the POP server name of outlook.office365.com.  All that is left is to try the IMAP port and server settings.

How to access or retrieve the e-mail, by POP or IMAP does not matter. We talk of SMTP submission here. The router does SMTP submission to the SMTP submission port (by default 25/TCP - but you must define it to typically 465/TCP for implicit TLS, 587/TCP for explicit TLS) _if_ configured accordingly. Yes, it appears to be a big hurdle for many users.

Message 13 of 24
schumaku
Guru

@Johnmuledeere  So what about a screenshot of your router E-Mail configuration, with the username "xxxxx"ed? This would make a starting point at least.

Message 14 of 24

never tried this before so here goes

Message 15 of 24

here is one from a dif email client

Message 16 of 24
Kitsap
Master

You might find additional information in the settings of your Outlook.com account.

Use Firefox and log in to the Outlook.com account.  Under settings, view all, go to the Mail -> Sync email settings.  The screen shot attached is for an account that I do not use for reports ot of my R7800. 

Message 17 of 24

I did that some time ago when we were discussing server IDs and port numbers, looked again this A,M., In my feable way of seeing things MS Outlook (both desktop client and online outlook) settings provide less data than the screen shots I included this morning.

Folks is this hunt worth the effort?  I started this out because I wanted to chase some event and thought the log would be a good place to look and since I found the email function in the security tab and the send email in the log page I thought why not? It beats cut and paste.

Well I was wrong, cut and paste is much faster, even if you do need to reformat the output.

So since this dog don't hunt what say we keep the puppy on the porch and find something more interesting to do?

Remember there really are such things as insurmountable oportunities...

Best and Warmest regards to ALL for your valiant efforts.

johnmuledeere

Message 18 of 24

For anyone who turns up here with a similar quest, I use:

smtp-mail.outlook.com

on port 25

xxxxxxxxx@outlook.com

You can send to any email address that you like.

Works a treat.

Message 19 of 24
schumaku
Guru

Port 25/TCP could be a bad advise, especially where ISPs are capturing any Port 25/TCP traffic

Better use 587/TCP instead, which is the correct SMTP submission port.

25/TCP is for SMTP transport between MTAs only.

Message 20 of 24

@schumaku wrote:

Port 25/TCP could be a bad advise, especially where ISPs are capturing any Port 25/TCP traffic

I'm just saying what works.

But I am not paranoid.

Message 21 of 24

Hi folks.  Electrons are cheap so I tried port 25.

The result was the same error message I reported last.

no 'hello'

swapped back to 587, tried, sameo sameo

Thanks for the tought and continuing efforts

When and how do we call this a bug and send it off to NetGear?

Regards

johnmuledeere

Message 22 of 24
Kitsap
Master

@Johnmuledeere wrote:

Hi folks.  Electrons are cheap so I tried port 25.

The result was the same error message I reported last.

no 'hello'

swapped back to 587, tried, sameo sameo

Thanks for the tought and continuing efforts

When and how do we call this a bug and send it off to NetGear?

Regards

johnmuledeere

Did you note @michaelkenward used a different server?

Message 23 of 24

did and did

result remains the same

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7