Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v2 Freezing when USB Drive is plugged in

mrcatj
Aspirant

R6700v2 Freezing when USB Drive is plugged in

Hoping that someone can help here.

I have a Nighthawk R6700v2 that has been working flawlessly on the previous Firmware. When i recently updated to the latest (V1.2.0.4_1.0.2), everything was working well for a short period of time, until I powercycled my router. My HDD is a WD 2TB, 2 partition drive with ~500GB files on it between the two partitions.

Symptoms now: My router works fine, as long as I do not have a USB drive plugged into the front 3.0 port. As soon as I plug any drive in, the router acts like it is going to recognize it, then freezes (all lights stay solid, web freezes, etc) and stays unresponsive (waited over 40 minutes).

What I have tried:

• Power cycle the router with the drive plugged in
    • tries to fully reboot and never makes it, wifi lights come on then power light stays amber and router freezes
  • Power cycle the router, then plug drive in
    • same results as before, router works fine, then freezes when trying to recognize/mount the drive.
  • Plugged the drive into a laptop (MacOS) and it read without issue. Performed First Aid on the disk just incase.
  • Reset the router (when unfrozen of course) by holding Reset for 10 seconds
  • Reset using 30/30/30 method then tried to plug in immediately after reset, before configuring settings, still freezes.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mrcatj
Aspirant

Re: R6700v2 Freezing when USB Drive is plugged in

Hi James,

I have received the replacement unit, set it up and downloaded the new firmware. I plugged my HDD in and setup readyshare with success - no freezing!

Apparently it was a defect, just with an odd timing. Customer service was good. Thanks again for your responses.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi mrcatj,

If you revert to previous firmware, will you have the same problem?

Message 2 of 6
mrcatj
Aspirant

Hi James

Thanks for your help here. I did roll-back the firmware to the previous one and had the same issue. I tried different cables, different HDD and no luck!

I just got off the phone earlier with NETGEAR Tech Support who took me through all of the things that I tried again, and they determined that it must be a hardware issue and will replace it under warranty.

Thanks again for your reply. Strange that it coincided with a firmware update then subsequent power-cycle?!?!

Message 3 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mrcatj,

Update us once you receive the replacement unit.

Message 4 of 6
mrcatj
Aspirant

Hi James,

I have received the replacement unit, set it up and downloaded the new firmware. I plugged my HDD in and setup readyshare with success - no freezing!

Apparently it was a defect, just with an odd timing. Customer service was good. Thanks again for your responses.

Message 5 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi mrcatj,

I am glad to know it works now. It was a pleasure assisting you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7